Team 3 - Team 3reeTrunks

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by dnoodles, Aug 29, 2021.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Wait... You know Todd!!
    In Venatione Veritas

wl704 likes this.
  2. Hammer1171

Hammer1171 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Heading out for my first hunt in the marshes tomorrow. We have some cool temps so the critters should be up moving. Fingers crossed. Good luck to those hunting tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Junior and AL fulldraw like this.
  3. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    I wasn't sure if that was Zarr until reading that last post.

Justin I was in camp with Frank Lovich hunting elk. Met him three years ago in the same elk camp. Pretty good dude from the conversations we had. #Novix
    Sent from my SM-N981U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Justin likes this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, Frank's a good dude! Going to be adding Stealth Strips to my Novix mini-sticks and Helo this weekend. Getting ready for some mid-October run and gun as soon as this stupid weather cools off.

Hammer1171 likes this.
  5. Hammer1171

Dislikes Received:
    rednas5, dnoodles, short69 and 5 others like this.
  6. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  7. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  8. Gabilgerat

Gabilgerat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    spent the weekend at the farm, hunted saturday morn and saw 6 does n fawns and My resident 5 pointer, skipped the afternoon hunt because the neighbors hired a aerial spray crew to spray roundup on their 4 year old planted pines to kill the weeds, sycamores and poplars that were taking over , I spent today putting in a little tractor time and planting my food plot, , The old gentleman who cleared the land for the plot gave me a bunch of seed he had left over from his garden so I planted it all, it was about 5 lbs of chicory, Kale, mustard greens,, turnips and spinach, I added 100lbs of buck forage oats , 3 lbs of dakon radish, 10lbs of whitetail institute imperial clover and 5lbs of red clover . it started raining as I finished up ttime.jpg
    got a new buck on cam this past week too, nice tall 8 point
    Screenshot (49).png

Junior, rednas5 and Hammer1171 like this.
  9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I assume you have some of the infamous GA clay soil... If so, how well does daikon do down there?

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was nagged into taking my son out last night, in spite of the heat and my pleading that I just wanted to stay home and finish unpacking from my elk trip. When he busted out the "Dad, we can't kill a deer if we just say home" line, I finally relented. So we sat in a blind in t-shirts because it was so hot out, with the Thermacell blasting to keep the bugs at bay. We didn't see a thing until the last 5 minutes of legal light. We had a pair of does come into the plot and I had to make the executive decision to pass on the shot. It was pretty dark and they were 30-ish yards. I just didn't feel comfortable with him making that shot, and he was super pissed at me. Kept saying "Come on, I can smoke this one right now" as he was looking through the scope.

A few seconds later another big doe entered the plot about 10 yards away from us. I gave him the green light on her, but we just couldn't make it happen. She needed to take about 2 more steps to give him a good shot, but got spooky and trotted off. All in all, not a bad first sit of the year. He was jacked up and shaking like a leaf. Plenty of season left for a better opportunity.

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    awesome, sounds like an exciting first sit!

12. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
  13. Gabilgerat

Dislikes Received:
    T
    the soil in My plot is nice brown dirt, I was pleasantly surprised when We cleared it , This will be the first time planting it in a winter plot so we will see how the Daikon's do. The summer plot did very well so Im optimistic..

wl704 likes this.
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Last night I had two different 5 year old bucks show up on trail camera for the first time this year. It's no cold front by any means, but it's the coolest we're going to be for the foreseeable future. It doesn't take much to get them up and moving around this time of the year. Although I'm still biding my time and may not hunt for myself until the middle of the month. I'm still on a mission to get my son a deer. I think we're going to sneak out tonight after work and hopefully both Sat and Sun evening depending on weather.

I also found out the farmer on my lease planted winter wheat after he cut our beans, which is great news. It's already greening up and the deer are starting to hammer it. That, in addition to the 1 acre of beans we bought back from him, should provide a great mid-late season food source for the deer.

The first good cold snap we get this month you can get your ass I'll be in a tree somewhere.

15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    wife just told me she probably has to travel for work next week, then again first week of November....awww,

[​IMG]

Justin and wl704 like this.
  16. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    The tail end of next week looks like it may actually start to cool off. If that holds true we could see some bucks on their feet in daylight.

Took my son out last night and he almost got a shot at a doe. We had her at 40 but he really needs 30 and in. I thought she would feed in closer but something spooked her off the plot and that was all she wrote. Our next outing will be this weekend in the sweltering heat. I can't wait.

dnoodles likes this.
  17. Gabilgerat

Dislikes Received:
    Dang, a friend of mine who lives a mile from my farm texted me and said he got over 5 inches of rain today in his rain gauge , Farm logs app said I got 3.7 from Sunday afternoon to Tuesday, All that seed I put out Sunday is prob floating down the river towards the gulf of Mexico about now:bigcry::bigcry:

18. Junior

Junior Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    dnoodles and rednas5 like this.
  19. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats to your neighbor. That’s a really nice buck.

Junior likes this.
  20. Gabilgerat

Dislikes Received:
    Nice buck , congrats to the hunter. I just got the rain fall update for My plot, another 2.14 inches per farm logs Thats close to 10 inches for the week and theres still showers in the middle Ga area, forecast is for the rain to finally move out this morn so Im headed down this afternoon and will be in the stand this eve .

Junior likes this.