Team 17 - Life At Full Draw

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 30, 2021.

1. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So get a coffee, after further review it’s a button buck, Shawn does the button buck rule apply here I have take it for my buck at 100 pts. Image1633689482.806270.jpg Image1633689511.287452.jpg Image1633689532.244128.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Bowhunting
    .com Forums

2. blackbear

blackbear Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  3. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Ok Mike so what's up¡!!!!!!!!!!!¡

4. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Josh Myers likes this.
  5. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    By the way congrats and 50 more points for the team. Keep those does coming guys!!!!!

6. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Man sometimes those button heads are hard to see. Ive shot a couple years ago. It almost stopped me from shooting doe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackbear and Shawn Clark like this.
  7. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
  8. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've shot several BB's. I feel zero shame.
    Good shot blackbear.
    I'ze about ready. 2 doe tags taking up room in my wallet.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  9. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief likes this.
  10. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Button bucks are the tastiest bucks in the whole dang forest. I got one last year during rifle season that I was certain it was a doe; until i discovered that it wasn’t. Granted I may have been a little optimistic when I took the shot since it was my first hunt with a rifle/ammo combo that took 2 years for me to finish and I was really excited to finally put it to work somewhere other than the range. I was able to confirm that 600 grains of .45 caliber soft cast lead will damn near turn a button buck inside out, even at subsonic velocity .

11. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    opossumhunterNC and Shawn Clark like this.
  12. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m also in a tree, it’s raining, should be interesting. Anything goes tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

opossumhunterNC and Shawn Clark like this.
  13. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I'm at my local high school football game. I expect to see some deer hitting the ground tonight!!!!!

opossumhunterNC likes this.
  14. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    F**king yellow jackets. Just had a big 8 pointer come into my set. He was walking the trail I was set up on exactly how I wanted. I got up, had my bow in hand and release hooked on the string. All I needed was for him to keep walking, another 3 feet for me to draw and then 2 more feet for me to have a perfect 25 yd broadside shot. By far the biggest buck I’ve had I’ve had in that close in 2-3 years. Just as I started thinking that this was actually going to happen, wham, for no damn reason and without any warning at all the goddam yellow jacket that’s been circling my head for the past hour decides to sting me twice right on the back of the f’in neck. My reflexive flailing, swatting, and banging around obviously alerted the buck and he looked straight at me, blew once then turned and hauled ass out of there. I don’t know what is up with all the yellow jackets. I can’t remember ever getting harassed by one in a stand in past seasons but this year literally every single time I’ve been in a stand at some point during the hunt I’ve had a friggin yellow jacket buzzing in my face. And it’s not like there just happens to be a nest near a certain stand because it has happened in dozens of stands on 3 separate properties that are miles apart from each other and both morning and evening. This is the second time this season I’ve been stung in a stand and both times it was just out of the blue, hadn’t swatted them or sat on them or anything like that and I honestly can’t remember ever in my life getting stung without swatting at one, stepping on a nest, or disturbing them in some way. We did have a really warm winter last year so maybe that’s it but I just want them to leave me alone. I am really at my wits end. Even when they don’t sting you it’s annoying as hell to have a wasp flying 2 inches from your face. Anybody have any suggestions to keep them at bay? Thermacell, deet, and permethrin sprays don’t seem to bother them in the slightest. I’m almost to the bringing along one of those bigass cans that shoots a 20 foot jet of wasp spray that stinks to high hell. The scent will probably chase off single deer for days or even weeks after using it but at least the yellow jacket will be dead when I eventually return.

fshafly2 and Josh Myers like this.
  15. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Damn man, that really sucks. Hopefully you will soon be rewarded for your misfortunes.

16. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:

Damn, y'all's high school football games sound way more exciting than mine were! I knew deer hunting was alot more popular out in the Midwest than it is here, but I never realized it was so popular that y’all even had folks hunting at your football games….

Just curious, is this something where people chase down the deer and tackle them kind of like where they have all the kids run around and catch a greased up piglet at the rodeo or are we talking like the halftime show is an actual deer hunt?

Josh Myers likes this.
  17. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    My hometown team is badass this year. Could be primed for a state title run.

Josh Myers likes this.
  18. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I did have a little bit of good luck tonight too. A deer came in a couple minutes after sunset. My view was partially obscured by vegetation but I could tell it was a pretty good sized doe, definitely too big to be a button buck, and I had an easy clear shot at vitals with plenty of light left so I decided to at least bring home some meat. I stood up, drew back my bow, steadied my pins and just as I was about to squeeze my release it lifted and turned its head, revealing that my “doe” was actually a spike with a missing antler.

So yeah, all things considered, at least I didn’t make myself (and our team) this years highlight on the smack talk thread because if that spike would’ve waited one or 2 more seconds to lift its head than I am pretty sure I would’ve become the first person in the history of the contest to turn in a 1-point buck as well as probably the first person to ever turn in a buck measuring in the single digits.

wibowhntr, Shawn Clark and Josh Myers like this.
  19. wibowhntr

Dislikes Received:
  20. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yellow jackets SUCK!
    Had to butcher 2 big bear lately and I didn't get stung but was being bombarded.
    Was gonna sit this evening and was ready to shower up but a buddy called and had shingles tore off a roof.
    Rain was coming and he asked for help.
    I helped.

wibowhntr likes this.