What is the purpose of deer farms?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Vabowman, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have never understood the purpose. I am serious. I don't know why they exist. How they are legal and what is this Warren guy's obssession with them. The only thing I think they are for is for genetic altering of high fenced hunting? and/or to make products such as evercalm, doe estrous, etc

2. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing good has come from deer farms.

trial153 likes this.
  3. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    They supply deer to feed peoples laziness and insure their gratification. They also spread pathogens like CWD into wild deer populations. And the absolute worst thing they do is sour the image of ethical fair chase hunting with non hunter who dont differentiate that they are not one in the same. Quite frankly we have only our own indifference to the pen farm animal killing industry industries to blame for our image

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    Shocker99 likes this.
  4. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I can't believe it's even legal. Why does man always think he can improve God's creation?

5. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Capitalism and to make money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC likes this.
  6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I despise high fence farm deer killing.. it sure as heck aint hunting ...... there was a elk farm not farm from me, they sold elk meat, pretty good too, I purchased steaks from 'em ...... another deer farm sold venison to restaruants, I dont see anything wrong with that as long as it is regulated ... I use evercalm from time to time, I have seen positive results with it ... I may try their estrus stic this season also ..(Remember the Jimmy Houston/Bellars Place debacle).. did I say I despise high fence killing .. The deer were drugged and could barely stand, they had to prop it up so Houston could film it and shoot it .....

US Fish & Wildlife Service FieldNotes
    Indiana Deer Farmer to Pay $575,000 in Fines and Restitution as Part of Plea Agreement
    Region 0, January 12, 2005
    Russell G. Bellar, owner of Bellar's Place, Inc., a 1,200 acre deer farm near Peru, Ind., pleaded guilty in federal court in South Bend, Indiana, to two felony violations of the Lacey Act, including conspiracy, and one felony violation of a federal food and drug law, on Jan. 12. As part of the plea agreement, Bellar will pay a $5,000 fine, $120,000 restitution for investigative costs, and a $450,000 payment in lieu of the forfeiture of assets listed in the 38-count indictment. Bellar has also agreed to assist the government in its on-going investigation. Bellar may also face a prison sentence of up to two years. Sentencing for possible prison time will not take place until this spring.

Bellar, 57, and farm manager Hinds Thomas Jones, 36, were charged July 15, 2004, with 38 counts of illegally selling and transporting wildlife across state boundaries; facilitating the illegal killing and transportation of wildlife; knowingly providing false information to federal agents; and, illegally introducing chemicals into food-producing wildlife for interstate transfer. Jones pleaded guilty January 3 to conspiracy to violating the Lacey Act, a federal wildlife protection law.

Bellar pleaded guilty to three of the charges today, a day after the government had rested its case and before a jury began its deliberations. More than 50 witnesses testified against Bellar during the seven-day trial, including personalities Jimmy Houston, host of the television show ?Jimmy Houston Outdoors,? country musician Ronnie Dunn and Fox Sports Net South television host Joey Mines.

Evidence presented during the trial established Bellar conducted at least 51 illegal deer hunts on his property since January 2001. Bellar's customers -- many of whom were from outside Indiana, were unlicensed, used illegal weapons or bait -- paid between $4,000 and $20,000 to select and shoot a white-tailed buck in the enclosed preserve. The deer were often drugged prior to being placed into small pens where they were killed. Once killed, the deer's antlers, hides and drug-contaminated meat were illegally transported, often across state boundaries. Although Bellar's Place, Inc., was licensed by the State of Indiana as a game breeding facility, the license did not allow the sale of deer for hunting. To sell a specific deer for hunting is illegal in Indiana. Interstate transportation of wildlife-- including hides or parts--obtained in violation of state law violates the Lacey Act. The practice of killing animals within an enclosed space for the purpose of obtaining a trophy is known as ?canned hunting.? Currently, there are no federal laws prohibiting canned hunts in the United States.

Bellar's guilty plea is the result of a joint investigation into illegal deer hunting by special agents of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and law enforcement agents of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration ? Office of Criminal Investigations also assisted the investigation. The Northern District of Indiana U.S. Attorney's Office, represented by Assistant U.S. Attorney Donald J. Schmid, presented the case in federal court.

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    lol

8. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Some farms here originally started to produce scent but they were selling venison to the NYC restaurants and the fancier local city ones as well. Now it's all. About racks.. they spend and make a fortune spreading "genetics" around the country.

9. Germ

Germ Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is one behind my house, so waiting for one to escape. I’ll take a walk and get some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Do you cleanse yourself just the same?

11. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    most cwd cases found in wi. come from or are near game farms ! ??????????????????? I have been pushing for years to have them banned, no luck ! Why ? Big Money ! Big shots pay big bucks for big racks, Without game farms, Big boss might have to actually hunt

Sota likes this.
  12. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Here we go....I'm not shy with my personal opinions so hang on...
    They are out there so pompous asses can brag about how rich they made them.

13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hate most deer farm operations as well, but it's illegal to sell actual wild game in a restaurant. So for meat production, I don't have a problem.

As to the underlined, I look over at my dogs curled up on each side of the couch and I am glad someone a very long time ago decided to start pairing up certain wolves.

"And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

14. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    People that commercially raise elk and deer do not give 2 ****s about the species they only care about the animals inside their fence.