The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Also I forgot to add a couple pictures. My BIL and I had one of our good 2year olds make it through the season and he looks pretty good this year, he’ll definitely be a hard pass if he comes by at 20 yards. We call him “loppy”. The night picture is him this year. He didn’t put on a many inches but he did add another character point on his right side. I’d definitely have to see him on hoof before I make a decision. Image1633367967.940161.jpg Image1633367976.064321.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Oldcarp, ash d and farmer rick like this.
  2. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I opened up some mock scrapes a couple weeks ago and freshened them this weekend. They are all getting used and some of them look really good. I will need to move some cameras on them soon. We opened up on the 1st but I have not been out yet. I have a couple of plots that are just now coming in pretty nice and the deer are hitting the clover, but the bucks are mostly at night.

ash d and farmer rick like this.
  3. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to get some hours in at work that is preventing me from getting out during the week and the forecast hasn't been that great either. I won’t be able to get out until Thursday or Friday morning at the earliest.

fletch920 likes this.
  4. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Headed out this evening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oldcarp and fletch920 like this.
  5. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Last night was a good sick, I ended up seeing six does and two yearlings but none of the big does word come closer than 45 until after legal shooting late. I am heading to one of my best and favorites stands tonight.It is actually the same stand that I shot my buck out of last year with very similar conditions I will keep you guys posted. Good luck to everyone that is getting out!

Oldcarp, ash d and fletch920 like this.
  6. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    And the game of cat and mouse begins.

I had a great sit tonight seeing 15 or 16 deer. I had one small buck in range all the others were too far. But with that said one of those deer was the lopsided deer that I posted a picture of. He is pretty impressive on the hoof both body and rack wise and would gladly shoot him if given the opportunity.

7. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    3 bobcats around 1825 hours within 14 yards
    10 minutes later the blowing started & I saw 5 doe but none would come close after the bobcats
    Saw 2 more as shooting time expired

Oldcarp, ash d and MIHOYT89 like this.
  8. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Good night for me also. Saw two bucks and around ten does and fawns. Had a couple of big does close, but 1st time sitting this stand and I wanted to see what else would come out. Bucks were about 50 yards and just had a quick look at them before they went into the corn. One was for sure just a 1 1/2 year old. The other looked like a 2 1/2 he had long tines but not very wide.

Stand is back corner of a corn field that has woods on three sides. Bears flattened the corn in front of my stand made nice openings to shoot.

Oldcarp, ash d and MIHOYT89 like this.
  9. Brett Smith

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    Bobcat

cantexian, Oldcarp, ash d and 2 others like this.
  10. Mudlake3

Mudlake3 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    In for my first sit of the season. I was hoping to hunt over some apple trees that the deer are killing right now, but I have a bad wind. Instead I have set up overlooking a trail leading in that direction, but it's really think and I can't see much. But on the bright side if I do see a deer it will be less than 20 yards.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

11. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Was going to go out this morning but got a notification a rifle I ordered was in at sportsman warehouse so I’m going to pick that up. So a little over an hour away is the store so I’m hitting the road. I’ll be hunting tomorrow morning and throughout the weekend.

12. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Rain rain go away....if my plan survives first contact, I'll be out this afternoon. I left my sticks and tether in the tree last weekend thinking I'd have time Sunday, but the rain had other plans.
    I think I'll grab my tether then go across the field where the deer have seem to be staging prior to hitting the field. I believe it's only doe, but it may be a chance to slip an arrow into a deer. Or I can slip into the tall brush or stream bed and be a ground ninja.
    More to follow.

13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If it is still raining when work gets out or even tomorrow I may slide to get some cards pulled at a property. No hunting for me on the short term horizon but this could change.

14. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    One of you guys need to get out and kill something. :lol:

I did manage to kill doe #3 on my first sit in Arkansas Sunday evening.

I got to Arkansas midday on Sunday planning to stay until this morning. My buddy and I both shot does within 5 minutes of each other on the first sit.

We didn’t hunt much after that. Neither of us wanted to bring home two deer and the bucks just weren’t moving so we just made a camping trip out of it and had fun.

15. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The mountain goat hunt was a lot of work but in beautiful country. If you ever want to be humbled go hunt mountain goats :hail:We did use horses here and there. But they only get you so far then you have to go straight up basically. My son-in-law got one around 11 o’clock today. When he shot it it was in a place we could get to. It went over the edge. They are tough animals. Where he shot it at look like a chainsaw massacre. There was blood everywhere. The mountain goat died on a little teeny ledge. We could only get 80 yards to it. We had to call a friend of ours who is a Mountaineer. Me and the boys have repelled before but we needed somebody with a little more technical repelling knowledge than we had. Tomorrow they are going to go up and get it down. Here are a few pictures.

Attached Files:

16. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    Couple more pictures

Attached Files:

17. Oldcarp

Dislikes Received:
    I leave tomorrow morning for Idaho for eight days. But it is a rifle hunt. I’ll be headed to Kansas for the first week in November for my whitetail hunt. So don’t give up on me yet;)

18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    That is amazing country you’re in. Just gorgeous.

I can’t even imagine what it must be like to hunt there.

Good luck on the rest of your trip.

MIHOYT89 likes this.
  19. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    On it, Chief!
    Last night was a dud, I'm not used to at least seeing a deer pass through, but, nothing, just dead air. I'll be out this afternoon, currently in a heated debate about hitting the low field rather than the high field. It's usually a good spot early season since it stays a little cooler in the bottoms. I have not hunted that spot yet so it may be goo to give the other area a rest. Wind also looks good for that area, I think I settled the debate, now to do the ol sit on the field edge, or tuck 50-75 yards into the woodline.

LittleChief likes this.
  20. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck when you get out there.

This last trip was a real surprise. I expected Tuesday and Wednesday to be great hunting because of the new moon.

It’s a good thing we hunted Sunday evening because after my buddy and I killed our does no one saw anything from stand.