Team 17 - Life At Full Draw

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a few pics. 20210928_172021.jpg 20210928_172015.jpg 20210928_172007.jpg

wibowhntr and Josh Myers like this.
  2. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    A lot of movement is transitioning to night time on my cameras, it’s like they know it’s deer season. Temps are looking great either for a while. Like I said, giving it a rest until leaves start dropping and temps start dropping. Going to golf for a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

wibowhntr likes this.
  3. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    You are absolutely right. Corn and soybeans to the south and west, large bedding area to the north. It's only a 15 acre piece of ground, but the deer cross on this property from bedding to the fields and back again. They have several different trails they use, but I'm set up on the heaviest travel route. This spot is awesome.

4. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    So when are you all getting out again? Kinda been quiet on here the last day or so. I may be able to get out either this evening or Thursday evening then a time or 2 on the weekend as well.

5. GeminiRidge

GeminiRidge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I will be headed out all weekend. Trying to pull longer days at work since it's so warm and this wisconsin east wind for the foreseeable future has me searching for new territory. Gotta start pulling my weight.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  6. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    You guys should check out the Smack Talk thread and post a few nice comments.

7. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I am planning on being out Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Might go out Thursday but temps are going to be near 80°.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Shawn Clark likes this.
  8. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    My previous biggest buck I killed in 2011, October 10th. When I went out that evening it was 88 degrees when I got in the stand. Now granted, a major cold front moved in that night, but still, that was one of the warmest times I've ever been hunting and I killed a 144" 12 point.

9. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Damn, makes me kind of wanna move to Ohio. Not that I don’t enjoy hunting thick woods east coast style, but those kinds of funnels between bedding and attractive crops for deer are practically non-existent around here. Seems like they prefer the taste of briars and brambles more than that of the tobacco, cotton, and cow patties that farmers grow around here.

We have lots of transitional areas and field edges we can hunt but those are more of a hit or miss type setup instead of a reliable funnel that they use daily. I also have a few isolated patch’s of acorn trees and a big persimmon tree out in the woods that reliably bring in deer but they usually don’t really show up at those spots until after dark and all of them are surrounded by thick somewhat featureless forest so each one has a dozen different trails leading to it and there isn’t really any geographic features that funnel them into using one or 2 of those trails more than any of the others. I kind of just end up having to pick one of the trails that at least allows a setup where I am guaranteed to get a shot opportunity if a buck does use it and then while I am in the stand I just hope for a little bit of luck that he happens to pick my trail instead of one of the many other travel routes that he uses just as often as the one I am set up on.

10. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    There is rarely a time that I don't have at least a shot at a deer sitting in this stand. Now I don't always shoot one here obviously, I pick and choose, but this spot is awesome!

11. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Meanwhile, on the other side of the state, we just have cornfields and tree lines. And its all flat. you can go a whole season without seeing a deer in Darke co. I'm pretty lucky with the spot I hunt, I've seen more deer in the last three years than I have in the 10 before that. I'd love to go down to Vinton Furnace for a long weekend. You ever get down there @Shawn Clark ?

12. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    as you can see in the red, I have very little woods available to me. the blue line is the river, they travel along this quite a bit, the yellow is where my stand is, where I killed last years buck and this years doe. This being a corn year, its got a lot of activity inside that tree line, and in the field.
    I have "permission" on the property lines, the neighboring land owner signed hunting permission, to cover me incase I was set up right on the line and game warden didn't see it my way. Its also nice knowing you can follow deer into that property without any worry. I just cant go hunt free willy over there.
    hunting snip.PNG

opossumhunterNC and Shawn Clark like this.
  13. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Never been there. I've pretty much have stuck to Tuscarawas County with a few hunts here and there in Stark and Guernsey counties.

14. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like you are doing just fine over that way too :bow::moose:
    :lol:

I wouldn't travel much either

15. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I might go out this evening but I haven’t made up my mind yet. It’s gonna be 85+ degrees and every single stand I have for this wind direction means I’ll be baking in direct sunlight the entire sit and I’m not sure I’m in the mood to sweat my ass off for 3-1/2 hours.

I may go set up a 2-man ladder stand and get it ready for rifle season instead. I have got a buddy/ex-roommate that I’ve been slowly working in to get him to try hunting for the past 5 years or so and he has finally decided to do it this year once rifle season opens. I wanna make it a good easy setup for a first hunt so using a 2-man ladder stand and I’ve got a spot picked out that’s somewhat near the access road and easy to get into without having to do too much sneaking in super quiet type stuff. Gonna wrap camo netting 360 degrees from shoulder level down to cover up any movement and lots of foam and pipe wrap on everything metal incase he bangs his gun on something. Also want to get a good rifle rest set up and make some nice clear easy shooting lanes, etc..

I am really looking forward to taking him on this hunt because when he first moved in with me back in 2016 he was anti-gun, a vegan, and a diehard liberal. After living with me for a couple years he was pretty much cured of his anti-gun and vegan ailments (shooting AR-15’s and the Barrett off the back porch next to a grill full of ribeyes is pretty much impossible for anybody to pass up). He does still lean kinda left though, but that doesn’t bother me and actually even that seems to be changing now that he has a mortgage, a career, and a daughter to look after.

GeminiRidge and Shawn Clark like this.
  16. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Decided to hunt tonight and deal with the setting up the new stand this weekend. I am currently in my least favorite stand that also happens to also be one of my most productive (as far as bucks are concerned) stands. I am terrified of heights and this particular hang-on stand is about 50’ up the tree due to the the fact that there is a deep depression surrounded by higher ground and the only tree suitable for a stand decided to grow right there. Takes a 20’ tree ladder followed by 16 screw in tree steps to get up here. I am not looking forward to the climb down it the dark. Hopefully there will be a nice buck dead in the brush to take my mind off things.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  17. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    If they all counted, you would be in trouble Shawn. :lol:

18. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Just smacked another nice doe this evening, lol!!!!! 20210929_195330.jpg

19. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I was awol for a bit there guys, but I forgot my phone and I was busy whackin, and stackin!!!!! See above post!!!!!

20. Josh Myers

Josh Myers Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Took my son out tonight. Seen 4 doe but no shots. Old Dad was really prepared. Hell I left my jacket at the house. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wibowhntr and Shawn Clark like this.