Team 10 - The Big 10

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by bowhunt4abuck, Aug 30, 2021.

1. Ashley Adams

Ashley Adams Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys , still here! Impatiently waiting for the season to come in! Can't wait to help put some points on the board!

2. cole62895

cole62895 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Congrats on the doe!!

Was up in the U.P. for a family archery shoot that we started five years ago as a benefit of sorts for a cousin. Lucked out and had great weather and shot pretty well, other than messing up on a couple targets completely, lived in the 10/12 ring. It was a great time, and is now the yearly marker of when the days get real long waiting for the season.

Stopped on the way back home yesterday to check the cameras, and as with every year, it seems like the bucks have disappeared. They will resurface over the next couple weeks into October. The next two weeks will be spent getting everything I can done around the house so that I don't have to worry about too much once the season opens.

3. bowhunt4abuck

bowhunt4abuck Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Hell ya man good job! Two more work weeks for me. I literally saw a doe and fawn eating something on the side of the parking lot of the public land next to my house this weekend. Might be a easy pair of tenderloin to start off with.

4. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Getting close. Shooting my bow and Sharpening broadheads today.

Iamyourhuckleberry likes this.
  5. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great job Huckleberry!! Good doe!

I am still recovering from my Canada trip, but about to start buckling down for bow season!

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

6. Iamyourhuckleberry

Iamyourhuckleberry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    You have to love the process...I call it, "Where adventure meets discovery"! I was in Wyoming this past weekend. The entire hunt revolved around bringing two British bowhunters (it's strange, with such a steeped history of archery in England, a person cannot bow hunt in the United Kingdom) to the States for an adventure beyond their wildest dreams (since they have not drawn elk tags in Colorado for a limited area in the past two years). Covid-19, and Mr. Biden has kept them from entering the US. We had six doe tags between the three of us. Sadly, I had to make the trip without them, and I was lucky enough to shoot a doe (basically in an area exceeding 62,000 acre site unseen) on the first day. I missed my second and third chance on does on day two...the result of a serious face plant falling into a ditch and unknown bow sight damage from the night before (nothing a little work, dirt, and spit couldn't fix).

Three days later, my mind has been fixated on getting back to Wyoming and killing that last doe! I have made two 12 foot wooden ladder stands to replace my spooky ground blinds. I have re-sighted my bow so the shooting left (after the fall) is now shooting dead center. I am so ready to be back! Ms. Ashley, I wish I could take you with me. You would see why taking does is so important in an area so overrun with deer, and it is up to every responsible conservationist to participate. The weekend could not come fast enough!

Enthropyfx, congrats on a successful Canada hunt! I see your bear and it just fires me up more. It reminds me of the enormous opportunities available to us all! It is really only a matter of planning, saving, and then executing the plan! We got this!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    entropyfx and virginiashadow like this.
  7. ILL BUCK

ILL BUCK Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hell yeah!!! Congrats Huck!!!!

8. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    9 more days

9. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    8 more days

virginiashadow likes this.
  10. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Getting fired up. Desperately need to get up and get my tower blind up...

11. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Headed to the Hawkeye game tomorrow. Taking my son to his first Hawk game.

Think Sunday I am going to head up and get the stand up, do some last minute work on the farm before season opens. Usually I try to stay away for a month leading up, but I guess it is what it is this year. Might try to broadcast some fertilizer quick too to really push the brassica.

What last minute chores do you all have left?

virginiashadow likes this.
  12. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to anyone hunting this weekend.

13. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_20210925_074132_01.jpg #2 doe on ice. Finished in Wyoming. South Dakota and Indiana cannot come fast enough. I'm ready to Target a buck.

14. virginiashadow

Dislikes Received:
    Great job!

15. Iamyourhuckleberry

Dislikes Received:
    Remember to practice those steep angles and close in shots, teammates. You never know when your opportunity will show up right under you and just feet away. The hole you see in the deer above is the exit hole. The doe pic above was, as we say out west, "all pins" close. I had a facing to me but quartering away angle when I shot. I sent the arrow straight through her heart-the tracking distance was measured in feet. It is good to know how to react in close situations like that...besides, there is nothing that screams success more that good solid practice.

Speaking of practice, I do the vast majority of mine from a distance of only eight feet from my foam block target (in the man cave with no wind). I use those little orange self adhesive dots gun hunters use to cover holes on their range targets. I place five on my block. I use my forty yard pin to shoot dead center into each of the five dots (again, from eight feet away). I shoot until I see the slightest deviation from center. When deviation happens (result of tired muscles), I then put the bow away. This style of practice develops solid muscle memory. This is a Zen approach to archery practice. The theory, if you train your muscle to shoot a dot from eight feet, they will have zero issue shooting a dot from any distance. It's just a matter of putting a pin on a dot. Aim small, miss small, right?. Obviously, there's more that goes into shooting outside and with distance. But, this is a solid way to keep your archery muscles tuned and in good shape. All too often, we over practice with tired muscles and expect good results...don't do that.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    entropyfx likes this.
  16. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Good advice Huckleberry!

17. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    And congrats on the doe!

18. bowhunt4abuck

Dislikes Received:
    Bows shooting great. I now have pictures of 4 different bucks I would shoot on the private farm which is a high number for this early. Couple of solid 8s and a 10 I have a few years experience with. For some reason it's not letting upload pics on mobile or I'd show yall. O well hopefully I get a trophy pic in a few weeks to share.

Iamyourhuckleberry and entropyfx like this.
  19. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Shot bow for about an hour with my son, he's 5 and having fun shooting. Laid them in really well standing, still tend to pull a touch sitting. Still, shooting a lot better than a few weeks ago.

20. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am rocking a big goose egg so far. Saw 6 Friday evening, at about 100yds, right before the rain hit. Other than that it has been rough. Evenings have been warm and I don’t have much of “morning stands.” Am going to keep at it though. Next time out will be Wednesday.

bowhunt4abuck likes this.