Team 11-The Wa11 Hangers

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Kyle Rayburn, Aug 30, 2021.

1. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My first Buck on my camera, first time since June when I first put out the camera. Unfortunately its not legal here, but I wouldn't shoot it anyways, needs another yr or two. upload_2021-9-21_15-17-31.jpeg

2. DH Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Unable to see the images.. did they get corrupt?

3. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Darn, not sure. I've uploaded them multiple different ways to try to get them to stay up. They're still showing for me.

4. DH Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, hard to tell.. I try to load anything .jpg file only...

5. Kyle Rayburn

Kyle Rayburn Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What kind of antler restrictions you guys have man? Looks like a decent deer so just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

6. DH Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's a 13" inside spread, I looked at every video of this buck I got and he's outside antlers line up with his ears.. So just short. But I still have 7-8 does coming through and that'll bring some nice bigger bucks.
    upload_2021-9-22_19-46-12.png

7. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man I love that restriction, we have 4 on one side and it helps. Def got bigger deer over the years. I wish there was a way to incorporate a age class to be taken but that is a pipe dream. Like no bucks under 3/3.5yr old . Would raise some stink and hard to follow but boy would it let deer get old enough to show their potential.

DH Outdoorsman likes this.
  8. DH Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    Totally agree

Suncrest08 likes this.
  9. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    How is that spread rule enforced ? I’m all about shooting what makes people happy but I would love to see deer get to their full potential.

10. DH Outdoorsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's pretty hard, I've seen other hunters in my camp take illegal deer each year.(Rifle) And you don't want to be the bad guy for reporting them, but sometimes it gets out of hand. TPWD was out there last yr and gave lots of tickets, you can say we never seen those hunters the rest of the yr. By no means these are my friends, its the designated camp grounds were lots of us have to stay at. It only gets bad during rifle season, when BIG families 20-30 come there and just ruin it.

11. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I got ya, it would just be hard to regulate it without “getting caught” same with the 4 points on a side here. We don’t have to check in any deer ever, I do in Ohio but it’s an automated system.

12. PaBowhunter

PaBowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Although I agree many places should have some form of antler restrictions, I'm not sure inside spread should be one of them. In my area of PA we have 3 points on one side rule, and it seems we have bigger bucks because of it. If Kansas had a 13 inch inside spread rule I wouldn't have been allowed to kill this buck. It had a 11 1/2" spread, aged at 4 1/2+ and scored 159".

20210923_014945.jpg

mhouck06 and Suncrest08 like this.
  13. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I hear ya Pa, I think the point restriction definitely helped.

PaBowhunter likes this.
  14. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    Have to agree with you here. I’ve seen some gnarly, massive, narrow freaks ha the oldest buck I ever had a crack at was just that. You can shoot a spike but not a buck like you have pictured lol absolutely nuts to me. I’m glad we have no restrictions here in Ohio honestly. And we have plenty of big deer. I’m sure it varies by region but just blows my mind that you have to come up with a spread on the hoof to deem it’s legal. They look way wider under you or going away than they really are too. I’d be willing to guess that leads to a lot of unclaimed deer also.

PaBowhunter likes this.
  15. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Just did some final prep at a property today. There were deer everywhere this morning. I hope it’s a sign of things to come. My season opens on Friday and I think I’ll get out for my first sit Saturday or Sunday. I don’t usually hit it too hard during early season, but I’ll definitely get out for a handful of sits in the first half of October.

Kyle Rayburn and Suncrest08 like this.
  16. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    So what’s going on everyone anyone been out hunting or when can ya go? Gonna go out tom evening and try and kill a doe, got permission on a new farm by my house. I hunted some public the other day around it and saw 10 doe and a young buck. This farm appears to hold a ton of deer and no one else hunts it, looking forward to figuring it all out.

17. Kyle Rayburn

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve pretty much been keeping the text chat updated but nothing yet here ha..went out Monday and didn’t see a deer all day…I’m camping and hunting the next three days though so if I don’t kill a doe I need to reevaluate and maybe move to a different piece of public and come back in a couple weeks lol

Suncrest08 likes this.
  18. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday is my opener. I am night shift this weekend, so my camera activity will dictate if I hunt the morning or not. I am off Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I am hoping to at least get a doe down the first week. I leave Sunday the 10th for Wyoming and I won't be back in the treestand until probably 10/25. I have a bunch of cell cameras running so hopefully I'll get right back on the deer when I return.

Bullridnfool and Old West like this.
  19. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m getting out for my first sit this morning. I strongly prefer evening sits into the last week in October, but ya do what ya gotta do when you have little kids.

If the nearby corn has been cut in the last few days, I’ll be sitting near it hoping to catch one heading back to bed. If the corn is still in, I’ll choose another stand that has a good view of about half the property. Good luck out there!

Suncrest08 likes this.
  20. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So frustrated I can’t even see straight. It’s tough for me to get out with little kids at home, so I really try to make my sits count. I checked the forecast at 4am - 0% chance of rain at the hunting property until 11am. It didn’t rain my entire drive, and then commenced to ABSOLUTELY POURING as soon as I pulled into the property. I mean as hard a rain as I’ve ever seen. Looks like rain for the next two days. What an opening weekend.

To add insult to injury, I was supposed to get out Friday afternoon, but my daughter came down sick and I stayed with her. Wouldn’t you know it, trail camera showed deer right under my stand an hour before last light.

I’ll give up the pity party by noon and return to my optimistic outlook on the season.