Accidentally blew up my bow. Whoopsie

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Justin, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Saturday afternoon I was double-checking a bunch of stuff on my V3 31. I just wasn't happy with my arrow flight so I started at the top and ran through the whole thing. Checked the nocking point/rest height, center shot, put it on the drawboard and checked the cam timing, made sure ATA and brace height were both in spec since I put a new string & cables on it. Everything checked out good. My last thing was to check the draw weight with the cams bottomed out. This was more so I knew where I was at than a tuning issue. I've always done this using a scale hanging from the ceiling. So I pulled down, started to let up, and BAM! The string derailed, the battery cover flew off the scale and batteries went flying everywhere. Whoops.

I must have not been paying attention and had too much of an angle on the string when I was letting up and it slipped the cam. Luckily I was about halfway let up already so there was no major structural damage to the limbs, cams, or axles.

The only casualty was one of my yoke cables where the string was pinched against it. It cut a few strands and needed to be replaced. Luckily I kept my OEM string and cables for just such an incident. So I ended up breaking down the entire bow since you have to remove the cam to replace that cable. Total PITA.

I then spent the next 2 hours putting it all back together and messing with the tune to get it shooting right again. Fortunately, I think it's shooting better now than before I blew it up. I need to shoot further distances this week, but broadheads and field points are dead on at 20.

Less than 2 weeks until our elk hunt so I better be ready to go.

2021-09-13 08_52_34-WhatsApp.png

2. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    That's always scary! Glad you got it back together and didn't get injured. Nothing like blowing up a bow right before a hunt.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    First- glad you weren't hurt
    Second - Make sure you take a backup bow
    Third - good luck and can't wait to watch the fun

grommel likes this.
  4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Goes to show how easy someone can pop a cam grove.

In Venatione Veritas

grommel likes this.
  5. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bow season brings out the best in us

MUDSHARK, grommel and Swamp Stalker like this.
  6. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It is a good thing you have the tools and the know how to solve that problem. I cannot imagine having to wait on a bow shop to fix that problem this close to season starting.

MUDSHARK and NebMo Hunter like this.
  7. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've had days like that. I always take the Friday before season opener off to "tinker" and play with my stuff. Since our opener is fourth Saturday of Sep that plants it firmly in one of my busiest times for tax season. So even though I take the day off I still get tons of calls, emails, etc.

I put my bow in the press but just cinched it down enough to hold it, not compress the limbs. I don't remember what I was doing but it definitely wasn't anything major. I had a sharp broadhead tipped arrow and I put the arrow under my arm with the BH behind me thinking I was being more careful.

Phone rang and it was behind me and I turned around to get it and broad head cut my string about an inch below peep. Not all the way thru but enough strands to where I wasn't going to shoot it. Luckily, like you, I had put on a different color string/cable set sometime beforehand and kept my stock strings. So I had matching cables and a different color string but was fine.

Now when the No Cam was "the" flagship Mathews and had just came out, I just had to have one. I'm guessing 2015ish(?) Local shop just stocked 2 OMP bow scales which you never saw in stock in person. Me and my best friend bought one. My HTR was 2 weeks old and my best friend was checking the weight of my bow on the scale and the scale's hook broke and the scale imploded and my bow exploded.

My best friend wound up with broken glasses, broken nose and cuts on his face and arms. I didn't start shooting right handed until summer of 2017 after my heart attack so this was a left handed bow, so it wasn't like I could just run to the shop and pick another one up. I was devastated.

Whenever something bad like that happens and I conclude "yep that was my fault" or "that could've easily been avoided" it just adds salt to my wound. LOL!

Justin likes this.
  8. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad you got everything back together - It's a good reminder to have an extra set of strings and parts just in case something happens. I would hate to miss a week or two of the season for a broken bow

9. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When Todd notices somethings wrong with his bow after Justin switches them. 71E1C747-35CA-4D9F-BC24-EE18B59D1226.gif

DickensCPA, grommel, bhod87 and 5 others like this.
  10. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So what your saying is, my bow will be more accurate if I "blow-up tune" it?

Glad to hear you, and your bow are in one piece.

Justin, JW Gruv and Vabowman like this.
  11. Limbhanger

Limbhanger Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Glad to hear nothing too drastic happened, you were lucky. Can't tell you how many times I have read this same scenario with hanging scales but with worse outcomes over the years. For that reason I only use a handheld scale, although with an arrow on if the scale should happen to break. When I only had a hanging scale I'd only check peak weight and let up on it as soon as it started to break over. I know it can be done, but with todays high let off bows and checking holding weight on a hanging scale, one is only asking for troubles, as it's just too easy to torque the bow through the let off up and down on the scale.

12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Trust me - I'll be using the scale via my draw board from now on. Lesson learned the hard way!

MUDSHARK likes this.
  13. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What head you shooting this year out chasing elk @Justin ? Good luck!

14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Original Spitfires. :fro:

MUDSHARK and JW Gruv like this.
  15. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Pay the guy that owns the shop in cash for years, unless parts are needed same day service even in September.

MUDSHARK, JW Gruv and cantexian like this.
  16. Robert Lowe

Robert Lowe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I did that this winter with a hand hold bowscale on my RX-1. Going to let down and it ripped right out of my hand. Got me to go get that new set of custom strings though. Not all bad.

17. Slugger

Slugger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Glad that worked out.

You just needed to show it who was the boss.

The Old Man likes this.
  18. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    WOW! Glad you goy it all back together and shooting fine. Safe travels and Good Hunting my friend!