Coolest Thing to happen ...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by rockinchair, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Bails-UK

Bails-UK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great pictures Rob , i love Owls , but i'm only familiar with the Resident Owls in our country . What type is this ? , looks like a long eared Owl we have back home .

2. NY Bowhunter

NY Bowhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In my stand one afternoon I had 2 bucks locking horns battling it out about 70 yards in front of me in a hay field. At the same time right behind me in a small narrow cut corn field with woods around it was a buck chasing a doe around all over heck. Sounded like a dozer going in and out of the woods. They would pop out in the hay field that the bucks were locking horns in then back behind me in the corn, then in the woods, etc.... The whole thing lasted about 30 minutes before the shows ended. Pretty cool.

3. Songdog

Songdog Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Seeing the look on my son's face after he shot his big buck off of our farm!!!

4. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For me, I guess the coolest thing I had happen was seeing two cow moose come within 20yrds of my treestand while I was bowhunting whitetails in Alberta (sorry this wasn't this year). I heard a hell of a racket in the woods and thought it must be a buck chasing a doe/does. It was getting closer, then I saw the big dark body of a moose. Then there was a second one! They were just eating the tops of the red willows, but they are noisy. They hung out for a few minutes until I waved my arms to send them on their way so they wouldn't spook the whole area. They were literally pushing over saplings to get out of there. It was pretty cool!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  5. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Three different hunts.

Late October I rattled in an 8 pointer I had been hunting to the base of my tree....while holding the horns and my bow on the EZ hanger. I did get drawn twice, but never had a shot.

November 6th I rattled in 6 different bucks in about a 40 minute span. 2 were shooters, but only 1 offered a shot. I held off on him since his rack was busted up. For a brief moment I had 4 bucks within range, grunting like crazy and sparring.

My favorite came on the 2nd day of gun season. I was able to share a hunt with my dad, who over the summer had been ruled for dead by nearly every doctor. We didn't see a deer, but there's not a spot I would of rather been at that moment.

6. whitetaildave24

whitetaildave24 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Mine would have to be the morning I watched about 8 different bucks (don't know for sure how many because they were running everywhere) chasing four does. There was grunting and bleating and all kinds of noise going on.

7. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    1 seeing Tara (littleshooter) put her finger on the release trigger about to shoot a doe, then taking it off cause the doe was just outta range all from my stand (40yds away) my heart was thumpin’

2 the hug i got from my buddy Todd (D34) after he tagged out shooting his buck doe combo within about 30 seconds of each other (did i mention he STILL hasnt posted a pic and story yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

3 seeing the resilience by Craig to hunt all season long and not get a deer after all his off-season work, he would breakdown and have to build himself back up each time he hunted... we couldn’t figure out the deer this year

4 the excitement I got when I heard other buddies shooting deer over the phone (Bird, Westy and Trent)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  8. KodiakArcher

KodiakArcher Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Great horned owl.

9. MNKK

MNKK Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Lol. Deer hunter's version of phone sex???

10. isaiah

isaiah Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

for sure!!!!

11. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It DEFINITELY doesn't get any better than this.

12. EricZ

EricZ Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    the night i shot my first deer with a bow was the coolest experience i've ever had, for two reasons. First being able to end my drought, and second was after I shot him I called a buddy of mine to come help me track, and as I was on the phone up in the tree a small forkhorn came in from behind me at about 10 yards and didn't even act like he heard me. Maybe he was deaf? either way it was pretty neat. :)

13. HuntingBry

HuntingBry Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    The coolest hunt I had this year was an early season hunt in MD. All in one morning I saw a fox with a snow white tipped tail under my tree, 2 fishers fighting out in the field and making a huge ruckus, and a racoon climbed the tree not 5 yards from me. Just a cool morning for wildlife in the woods.

14. tschammel

tschammel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had two button bucks under my tree fighting or acting like they were. Every once in a while there nubs would actually hit and make a quick rattling sound. They both were grunting or bleating as well while they were doing this. I couldn't help but smile and almost laugh out loud. They must have seen two older bucks doing the same thing recently, I know manly hunters shouldn't say this, but it was....cute.

15. Focnr

Focnr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Getting stuck in my stand until after 10:00.
    Fail on my part.

16. early in

early in Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well, what happened?:eek:

17. Krohboy

Krohboy Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    One day after school I got all my camo on and grabbed my bow for a nice little sit. Well I walk out to my stand and sit for about and hour, I saw 3 does and a very nice 160 class buck walking through our spruce trees to the west, and thought wow grandpa should of sat in our box stand (This was the buck he was pursuing). All of a sudden I saw a puff of black smoke and a loud bang originate from the box stand. I get down and walk over there as I meet my grandpa he says he put a bad shot on him, so we walk over to check blood and I see him. He didn't make it even 20 yards and around a tree. The shot was a perfect heart shot. I was so proud of my grand father. He is the one who showed me how to hunt and he is still showing me how to get er done! This is my grandpas 6th 150 class deer btw

18. Scott/IL

Scott/IL Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That hunt beat every other moment that I have ever had in the woods. The feeling of taking him out and getting him set up in a make shift blind with me was not even comparable to me taking what could be a buck of a lifetime for me just a few weeks earlier.

19. hunterace

hunterace Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    well beyond my brother and i having the best hunting season, bow and gun, i would have to say....
    it was seeing a fawn with the coolest markings i've ever seen. i wish i had a camera with me. i watched him or her for 20+ minutes. had a white arrowhead shape on both sides of the neck along with a few white spots on it's side, but not many. it was 5-6 inches long and about 2-3 inches wide. looked just like a arrowhead pointing up the neck to it's eyes/nose. i thought it was very unique

20. JayB22

JayB22 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Other than shooting my first deer, it would have to be the hunt following that. I was sitting in my stand and watched some deer slowly approach me through the otherside of the tree I was in. I had my buck tag filled so I was just hunting does or coyotes. After waiting and hearing them fight for about 10minutes they made their way under my stand. The doe was leading and walked about 5 feet infront of my tree. Following her was a monster, around 150 class 4 point. He stopped and ate branches about 5 feet below my stand platform. As he followed the doe I could hear him making his little grunting sounds. Than following him was a little spiker. About 2 minutes after they passed a small 4 point walked in the trees behind me about 20 yards away. They than walked out into a field, across a hill and somewhat dissapeared into the trees. I then spent the next 45 minutes watching the deer come in and out of the trees with a few fun chases between the little spiker and a doe. They ran some massive circles about 50-80 yards away from my stand. It was hilarious to see, and seeing a few deer that close to my stand was awesome.