Could use some advice...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by natewat, Jan 25, 2010.

1. natewat

natewat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello Everyone! I am the new guy, and I have lots of questions.

About 15 years ago I was an avid bow hunter, but then came the kids. Now, my oldest is getting into hunting, and I have a great reason to get back into it. I spent the day today visiting a few local archery supply stores here in South Central PA, and I plan to hit some others tomorrow and Wednesday. My questions is...

Am I being realistic setting a limit of $500-$600 for a package, ready to go hunting/shooting bow? And if I am in the ballpark, what are the top three manufacturers I should be looking at? I shot three different bows today, all used (and I am OK with that), and the best feeling bow I shot was an 07 BowTech Commander. I liked it because it did not have a lot of vibration after I released the shot. What else should I look for? My draw length is 29", draw weight is ~60#, and I'm 5'11".

Everything has changed drastically over the last 15 years, so any information would be helpful.

Take Care,
    Nate

2. tschammel

tschammel Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You are on the right track. Just take your time and look for a couple of months. Look in your local sporting good stores in your area, and on the internet Ebay craigs list. Also if you are looking for a good package look at the mission bows (matthews line) and diamond bows (Bowtech line single cams). They are a little more affordable and after slapping on sights a rest and quiver they don't hurt the pocket book as much. They are great bows! Don't get caught up in the speed and high end hoopla, you can kill a deer anywhere with a standard bow that is tuned well. Just shoot a bunch of bows in your price range an go with the one the feels the best for you.

Good Luck.

3. mudnation 1

mudnation 1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I picked up a martin cheetah a few years back fully dressed for a little over 400 dollars and have never had a complaint. It has killed 30 plus animals and is plenty forgiving and fast for a cheap bow. Its also a parallel limb bow so it looks pretty sharp also. Try and shoot one if you get a chance.

4. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nate, you've got the idea. Go used, buy what feels good. If you liked the 07 Commander, grab it quick. I've heard that was a heck of a bow to shoot.

5. GABowhunter

GABowhunter Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    Sounds like you are on the right track. I spent a tad over $600 when I was getting started a few years ago. I started out with a Bear Vapor 300.

6. natewat

natewat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the priceless, free advice!

I was out again today. I shot two models of PSE (Vendetta XS and a Bow Madness XS), a Fred Bear Stinger, and a Quest Smoke. I liked the Bow Madness XS and the Quest Smoke. Even though the Smoke was about $75 more than I want to pay, with rest, sight, peep, arrows, quiver, stabilizer, and tax--I can't help it...I really liked it. I still need to shoot a Matthews. Hope to do that tomorrow or Thursday.

The other plus side to going out and getting into local stores is that you find out who has what and who has a personality! I found several great places with nice indoor shooting lanes, an indoor three-d range, and was asked to get involved in two leagues once I make a purchase. I had a blast!

Thanks again everyone!
    Nate

7. Matt/TN

Matt/TN Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Since you shot those PSE's, I'd see if you can find a Vendetta XL, or a Bowmadness XL. I'll probably be hunting with one of those this year. Excellent bows.

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to go against the grain here. Unless you can find a used bow from a dealer, I'd recommend to buy a new bow from a dealer, that is in your price range. I strongly feel that someone just getting into, or back into the sport is going to be much better off with a good knowledgeable dealer to help them. Being setup correctly, with a bow that is tuned and fits you, is WAY more important than what bow you are holding, especially if your simply looking to hunt whitetails.

The Diamond Stud will get you a great bow in that price range fully setup, I've handled them personally and it's a fine bow. There are a handful of others as well from other manufacturers in this price range, and I'd suggest you shoot as many of them as you can, and pick what feels best to you.

Hope this helps!

~Matt

9. jmbuckhunter

jmbuckhunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I second going the dealer route, either new or used. Being you are just getting back into the sport and not knowing what you need, a good dealer can get you set up in your price range with equipment that fits you and your shooting style.

10. racewayking

racewayking Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would also say go to a local dealer. A local dealer can get you set up with quality stuff, paper tune your bow and ensure you have the proper draw length.

11. Ben/PA

Ben/PA Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Solid advice. A good relationship with a quality dealer is a valuable tool. Good luck, glad to have ya back. Enjoy yourself and have fun.

12. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yep you can get a great set up for that kind of $...shop around and shoot some bows.

13. Focnr

Focnr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    This, and welcome to the site!

14. natewat

natewat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Today I shot a Mission Eliminator II and a Hoyt Power Hawk. Both shot about the same to me, but the Eliminator II was about $40 cheaper. I am still leaning toward the Quest Smoke. Although the Bear Strike was the best price and there really wasn't that much difference in how it shot compared to the rest of the bunch. I can get the Strike ready to use with arrows etc. for about $595 and the Quest Smoke is $700 with the same setup. The Mission would end up at $720 and the PSE also about $720.

I'm just going to have to take some time and think about this.

Nate

15. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    mission is a great line of bows , both the eliminator ll and the bx1 are great bows, at a good price.

gander mtn has a ross carnivore on sale 489.99 norm 699.00 stopped in jackson tn on a trip to nashville last week ( we dont have any gander in north mo) they had some good deals on diamonds, ross and pse.

hope this helps. :D

16. natewat

natewat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks everyone! I think I am close to a decision. I am going to wait a week or two or three before spending the jack.

In the mean-while, I am planning on heading to the Eastern Sports and Outdoor show in Harrisburg, PA coming up here in the next couple of weeks. So, here is another question for you all.

What other equipment should I be looking in to for my soon to be new bow? Any tools or accessories that may be considered necessities for continued bow happiness?

Thanks again!
    Nate

17. nvshooter

nvshooter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome back to the sport.:) Bows have come a long way in the last 15 years for sure. There are some great bows out there in your price range as you have seen. Spend a little bit extra as long as you are comfortable with the bow. I would be looking at a Diamond Stud or one of the PSE packages.

Be sure to post pics when you do get one!

18. natewat

natewat Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Now I am really confused. I had an appointment in town today, and I was early. So, I decided to stop by my favorite gun shop to see what was new. To my surprise they have put in a full archery proshop with shooting lanes and a certified instructor. The main line they carry is BowTech. Most of those bows are out of my price range. However, the instructor had a used Air Raid with less than 100 shots through it on sale for $400. I shot it and holy cow!

Now I am lost and confused. I was looking at buying a new bow, but I can have an Air Raid for $400. Is the Air Raid as good as everything on the Net says it is and as good as the instructor says it is?