Release Type

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by fowcbler, Sep 1, 2021.

?

What bow release style do you HUNT with?

1. Finger Trigger

2. Thumb Trigger

3. Back Tension

4. Hinge

5. Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Curious what most everyone in the "hunting" community uses.
    I have a hunch, but lets see what the data provides.

2. Brian811

Brian811 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thumb for me

3. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot better with a thumb release but had 2 mishaps, which hurt so i went back to wrist strap

4. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My I ask, what were the mishaps?
    I am worried about a mishap using a Hinge type. Got it set on "super paranoid" essentially to keep from having a mishap, so it requires an extensive amount of "hinge" currently.

5. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    while drawing my kids were running around behind me so i wasnt paying attention to what I was doing, my own fault i know, but somehow my hand opened slightly or my wrist angled wrong and the release came out of my hand while at about half draw, arrow went, release hit my rest damaging it, my hand hit my chest actually giving myself a slight skin tear one my chest.

the other time was a similar circumstance except somehow the release hit my left hand, it was very painful.

i understand those are shooter issues and not the releases fault, but having that in the back of your mind while shooting doesn't help your shooting.

yes they make hand held thumb releases with wrist straps, but just couldn't do it anymore.

Attached Files:

6. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    back to a index release, this one by Spot Hogg called the Keeton .. I shot a thumb for years, but due to a now healed shoulder problem, the Keeton allows me to draw much easier and hold better/longer ... neat release, but it has to be adjusted properly .. link has Randy Ulmer displaying/talking about it ..

7. JW Gruv

JW Gruv Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot an index finger release for hunting

Sent from my SM-A205U1 using Tapatalk

8. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    When I was trying to film my hunts I figured the thumb release would help because I would just leave it attached to my loop. It was very convenient.. I gave up on the filming, but still stick with the thumb. I tend to shoot better with the thumb over any other style of release. Occasionally I feel target panic creeping in so I will switch to a hinge for a few days and work out the kinks. I never hunt with a hinge though, I am definitely not confident enough in my skills to do that.

9. slickbilly-d

slickbilly-d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nock On Silverback for me.

10. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

That is an interesting release for sure.

I have been pretty intrigued by Nock-Ons Back Strap release. Nice hybrid for those that use Finger Trigger and want to give Back Tension a try.
    Just hard to warrant $200+ for something you may not actually enjoy or end up using.

11. NebMo Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    it's definitely more convenient, for sure. I always kept a backup release on my pack because i did have to climb down out of stand to pick up the hand held thumb release i dropped.

12. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Ive got my Tru Ball Boss X, 4 finger thumb caliper head Ive used for years now, I would hook it on the loop, kept my hands free to call, rattle.. I havnt hunted yet with the Keeton, I dont expect any problems and am looking to hunt with it this season ... ..... this is with the Bowtech Allegiance ...

20181013_073119.jpg

13. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I switch between a pair of truball blades that are set very different then each other and carter quickie 1 plus. I go back and forth between the three of them to keep from getting punchy.

mhouck06 likes this.
  14. OhioXbowhunter

OhioXbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I use to shoot a Scott’s release when I shot a bow

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

15. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Big fan of the blade.

16. DickensCPA

DickensCPA Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot my target bow and hunting bow 100% with a hinge and switch to a thumb just for the actual hunt and then back to a hinge. I shot the Truball GOAT for 3+ years and recently switched things up. I shoot a B3 Ghost for all hinge and a B3 Exit Pro for thumb. They match perfectly and no change in POI.

The GOAT has an awesome trigger but even in medium its a bit bulky for my stubby fingers. It also leaves a lot to be desired as a hinge. I hunted with it up to this season but it is loud and an open hook so you can't hang it on the dloop. Due to its limitations as a hinge I started shooting a Carter hinge and the GOAT as a thumb. The Carter didn't fit my hand like I liked and finger bed to hook was almost 1/4" longer than the GOAT which messed with my anchor.

I picked up a B3 Ghost as a hinge and really like it and while at the shop fooled with the Exit Pro and picked it up too, glad I did. I never have cared for letting down a heavy hunting bow with all that let off and an open hook. May just be in my mind, but it's in my mind.

The Truball GOAT is an awesome release with a fantastic trigger, maybe the best I've shot. However, two releases in one is great on paper but doesn't always pan out in the real world. For instance, it takes less than 2 minutes to go from hinge to thumb and back, but there's no way I'd do it in the middle of a 3D shoot in the woods. That screw is TINY and I drop it 11 out of 10 times whenever I change it. Also, when I shoot a thumb I like the barrel back toward my thumb webbing to really curl around it. When I shoot a hinge I need the post out to get the release in the proper draw position to draw. I like a fatter thumb barrel on a thumb but a skinnier post on a hinge. So it really wasn't as simple of a crossover as you'd think. When I bought the GOAT new it was $325+tax. Not much difference price wise to just have two separate releases at the ready in your pouch.

I know I answered more than you asked, I got carried away! LOL!

bhod87 likes this.