Bow tuning

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Phil Cooper, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Phil Cooper

Phil Cooper Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Never bringing my bow to bass pro again to get my bow tuned again!! Got it back when to shoot and was 6 plus inches high!! Basically have my sight bottomed out now and still shooting 3inchs high looks like it’s off to an archery shop today to see what happened!!

2. Wop 75

Wop 75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That really sucks!! Hope you can get things straightened out .

3. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That does suck. I’ve only been to BP for bow work a couple times, mainly for emergency purposes. I’ve had mixed results from there for sure. One guy was really good but others were very subpar at best. I don’t think anything beats a dedicated bow shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Most of your big box stores do very little training on how to properly set up a bow. It can really be hit or miss depending on the person you get that day. In my experience, Scheels has the best archery dept of the larger sporting goods stores. They do quite a bit of training with their techs to make sure things like this don't happen.

As others have said, your local archery pro shop is going to be the best bet for getting bow work done.

This is also a great opportunity to learn to work on your own equipment so you don't need to travel to have work done. With a bow vise and a set of levels, there's quite a bit you can do on your own.

5. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve actually been dabbling in this myself for the last 2 years and finding it’s another niche in the sport I’m enjoying more and more. Bought my current bow in 2019 with the intention of setting it up all myself. I feel like I didn’t do too bad for a total novice just looking at YouTube videos. My knots weren’t the greatest but got me through 1 of the seasons since then. Only thing I was missing was a kisser button that I didn’t think about but as soon as it was added, it cleaned up my groups astronomically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Fully agree with @Justin .
    My area was without a Pro Shop for several years so I had to take my bow to either Sportsman's Warehouse or North40 for technical work.
    It is a struggle. You'll find a Tech that knows what they're doing but they only seem to last about a year, so then you're back to watching and double checking work until you get another Tech that is good. I found a good Tech at Sportsman's, then he retired. Got one that wasn't so great after that. Then they got another good one but he left after about 10 months. Then two more that weren't so great. Then the second one that I'd liked opened his own Pro Shop so currently that's where I go.
    If we lose our current Pro Shop I will be buying my own press.
    There are some simple checks you can do before you leave after having your bow worked on. Easy to measure brace height and axle to axle to compare to factory specs. Have them show you timing is on with it held at full draw. You can also hold another arrow against the inside of the riser and compare it to a knocked arrow to see if they're parallel (remember to hold rest all the way up if it's a drop away like a QAD).

Most sights the frame can be adjusted up/down on the arm. You said it's shooting high but is "bottomed out". The whole frame needs to move UP if it's shooting high, not bottomed out. Perhaps it is a single pin pendulum and you mean the pendulum arm is all the way down, thus the sight frame is all the way up? There may still be room to remove bolts for the sight housing and move the whole thing up.
    My check list I'd recommend:
    1. Nock an arrow, hold rest fully up, and then compare it to another arrow held level against the inside of the riser. They should be very very close to parallel to each other.
    2. Check nocked arrow in reference to Berger holes.
    3. Confirm sight frame doesn't have more room to be moved UP.

Justin likes this.
  7. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Try and find a local shop if you can, I have some bad experiences years ago at a gander mountain. Def start picking up tools to do it yourself, you can find a lot of it used in excellent shape or just buy new. All the information you would ever need is online and it’s great to do all your own work.

8. Old West

Old West Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Interesting. Did they tune it for you while you were away? I've never had a shop make any adjustments for me without me being there. They've always wanted to test the adjustments and fine tune from there.

9. Phil Cooper

Dislikes Received:
    Yes I left it with them and they tuned it and called me back about a week or 2 later to come pick it up

10. Phil Cooper

Dislikes Received:
    That’s why I am going to take to a shop my buddy used and see what they can do with season being less then 25 days away

11. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    For the record - I was 100% the kid working at Gander Mountain in high school and college that f-ed up everyone's bows. :lol:

12. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    A nice advantage when you find out they hunt the same area as you! :lol:

Shocker99 and Suncrest08 like this.
  13. Robert Lowe

Robert Lowe Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    You live and you learn. Always use a pro shop

14. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best thing you can do is get the tools to tune your bow yourself.
    All the information you need is a moose click or two away

15. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Moose don't "click" they "uuuhhwwph.:poke::lol:"

Shocker99, LittleChief and trial153 like this.
  16. Phil Cooper

Dislikes Received:
    Good news the pro shop was able to fix whatever bass pro messed up and we are dialed in again

17. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always ask questions. I havent messed with it in all my years but im about to. I was spoiled having a couple phenomenal techs that always had me up and running no problem. Now they have all moved on and i had a couple bad experiences. I think i found a good guy now but nothing beats being able to work on your own stuff

Fix likes this.