Team 17 - Life At Full Draw

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Shawn Clark, Aug 30, 2021.

1. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the avatar!
    Great shooting on the doves man!
    I think we only ever crockpotted doves with cream of mushroom and rice, which is my favorite, did the same with pheasant and squirrel too

wibowhntr likes this.
  2. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Got a few honkers today.
    Have had n in the crackpot stewing with French onion,cream of celery and cream of mushrooms.
    I 1/2 cup of wildrice also.
    Gonna parake here real fast.
    Smells fantastic!

3. wibowhntr

wibowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for putting it together for us!!!

Sent from my SM-N986U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

4. C0wb0yChris

C0wb0yChris Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I call dove the filet mignon of the sky. If cooked right it’s tender and tasty.
    My all right favorite is a pinto bean soup with chicken broth and chunks of dove breast on a cold winter day.
    I also loved dove poppers.
    My wife and I do another meal that is kind of like poppers but with no jalapeño shell. It’s one dove breast folded over goats cheese mixed with season salt and jalapeño/cayenne seeds (for heat) with sharp cheddar cheese wrapped on bacon. Very close to a popper but that’s the way my wife likes it. She’s not a fan of the jalapeño flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MONGO likes this.
  5. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    My craziest hunting story used to be seeing an albino 6 point walking through the woods and come straight to the base of my tree. At first I thought it was a dog, then I was convinced it was a goat until I realized it was a buck. I videoed the encounter. It was awesome.
    But now I have another crazy hunting story. A few years back I killed an “unscorable” buck with my bow in this very hunting contest. When I saw him coming through the woods I noticed a high and tight dark chocolate rack with something hanging off of them (I thought it was velvet falling off). After I determined he was a shooter I didn’t look at his rack again until I put my hands on him. He was working his way through the brush until he was bumped out by some other does. Very odd to see. He then walked within 27 yards of me where I ranged and heart shot him. I remember hearing him crash. My first thought walking up to him was “what the heck did I just shoot.”

6. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

wibowhntr, Josh Myers and Shawn Clark like this.
  7. Shawn Clark

Shawn Clark Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Crazy buck and in velvet too. Sweet!

8. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Here's a crazy one for ya. This happened in 2004. It was early season and my son was begging me to take him out in the evening even though it was over 90 degrees. Well we went out and he shot a nice doe not too long after we got there. After gutting it and dragging it back to the truck, we were talking with the landowner and his tenant. We were drenched on sweat and blood. As we are talking, this huge doe and 2 fawns were walking out of the woods over to the pond and the landowner makes a bet with me that I can't shoot that doe. He said he'd buy me a pizza if I got it. So I said you're on. So I was stinking up the place covered with sweat and blood, I thought no way I'm getting this old doe. I snuck around the house and made my way up on the porch. It was like a balcony over looking the pond. By now the doe and fawns are feeding on acorns right in front of me. I'm hiding on the balcony and they can't see me. Several times I was going to shoot her and one of the fawns would step right in front of her. The whole time the landowner, his tenant and my son are joking and laughing. I thought that my scare them off but they were about 100 yards away. The doe was a little skittish but not totally alerted. Finally I had a clear shot at about 30 yards. I knew I blasted right through her chest and my arrow went right into the pond. They all thought I missed her. Now, here's where it gets real crazy. She takes off like a lightning bolt and goes about 100 yards across his back yard. On the other side of the yard is an old shed. The door was open. She ran right in that open door and we heard all kinds of crashing and banging, then silence. We go over to the shed and looked inside. There she laid dead. There was blood all over the walls and ceiling. It was a pretty crazy scene. We all couldn't believe what just happened and we couldn't stop laughing. I have other crazy stories but I think none of my other stories tops that one.

Josh Myers and C0wb0yChris like this.
  9. C0wb0yChris

Dislikes Received:
    That's a crazy one! Haha love that it ran into the old shed, what are the chances.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  10. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I got nothing too crazy, best I got
    Youth gun, I was about 14 Hunting with my grandpa in a double treestand.
    it was about 10a.m. or so, and we were close to climbing down when my stomach made some real loud noises.
    Grandpa, (whos a no bullshit, hardcore, "shut the hell up boy" kinda guy) turned real slow to look at me. I figured he was going to tear my ass for making noise. He said real quiet "making poop"
    we both bust out laughing, figuring our hunt is over for the morning anyhow, when I look up and see this little buck in front of us
    I said "grandpa, there's a buck"
    he said "then shoot the f*****"
    and I did
    He only had 1 antler, but that will stick in my memory forever.
    FB_IMG_1631100621933.jpg

11. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    Great storys guys!

12. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I know we have some season openers coming up here. Is anyone getting out there this weekend?

13. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hope everyone is doing well! I haven’t been getting updates on the thread, my app must be messed up.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

14. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I intend to be sitting in a stand by 5:30am saturday morning. Planning to hunt morning and afternoon on Saturday and Sunday

15. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man.. I love goose. I’m literally like the only person I know around here that will eat it. Most folks in my area wont even touch them and like to refer to them as flying possums. It’s kind of ironic since a lot of those same people wont hesitate to stop on the side of the road and scrape up an actual roadkill possum to take back home and stew up, but when it comes to goose they draw a line in the sand.

C0wb0yChris likes this.
  16. bucksnbears

Dislikes Received:
    I think one goose was an older (bigger) as it was WAY tougher then the others.
    Next time out I will try to hold on what I deem smaller (younger).
    My target buck finally showed up. A perfect 5x5 that I'm guessing will go mid 150's.
    Seen him quite a few times last year after I filled my tag and found his sheds right behind my cabin.
    Season here opens on the 18th and I "may" try for a doe of 2 I kinda doubt it.
    Season for me usual starts later in Oct.
    I have spent too many hours in a bow stand over 40 years to get excited u till I "feel it"
    Y

wibowhntr likes this.
  17. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    Hope you draw first blood for the team!!!!! Do you post in live from the stand? You can keep us all updated there.

18. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I have from time to time but doubt I will this weekend. Kind of hate spoiling my first couple sits by fiddling on a phone instead of enjoying the hunt so I’ll probably leave it in the car.

19. opossumhunterNC

Dislikes Received:
    I can provide some updates at lunch and once I climb down for the day.

Shawn Clark likes this.
  20. Shawn Clark

Dislikes Received:
    I know what you mean. There's been a couple occasions I've blown opportunities cause I was messing with my phone, and if one of those big boys I have get in range I definitely don't want to mess that up.