Can we talk retirement?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by wl704, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
  2. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yes tillable. Although it's about impossible to find a full 80 that doesn't have a creek, ditch or something in it that you're paying that price to not be able to farm.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

3. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That is a crazy good match dnoodles

cantexian likes this.
  4. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You ain't kidding, my work just changed theirs when they switched from Trowe Price, supposed to be better but it's a wierd breakdown. Used to be 50% of the first 5%.

Something is better than nothing, I just try to put in the most I can.

Trying to make up for taking 15k out back in 2011 when I bought my house. Had to literally buy everything but a bedroom set so didn't have many options.

5. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Our place needs some major fixes and it's going to be costly, roof, siding a few Windows. Hubby is talking retirement and I'm saying fine when I see progress on these costly fixes.
    So my thing is I can live very cheaply, I have no issues that every extra and then some, has gone toward retirement. Though don't go into it with known huge costs that you can do Before retiring.. He makes good money and we have zero payments other than taxes, utilities, holiday/birthdays. Monthly pay off credit card so not even interest, insurances

6. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Looks like I'll be about 7 months behind you. 2031. Bring it. All the stars would align for me if I just pushed for 30 yrs of public service in VA. Also in 2031 my youngest would graduate college.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    November 29th, 2029 for me, slackers. IMO it would be early July 2029 as that's when I started through a temp service, but they don't do it that way.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  8. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's a sliding scale percentage match but still pretty darn good

9. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]

That was good.

dnoodles likes this.
  10. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Its crazy. There is 2 40 acre tracts that just cane up for sale basically right in the back yard of our family property. Its half tillable and they are asking 4000/ac. Now this is far south illinois, everything is cheaper. We are talking about offering 2750/ac. Hell its worth a shot :confused:

PinkPony, cantexian, dnoodles and 2 others like this.
  11. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    815AE5AA-5605-429E-A188-8E93210CD3B2.jpeg
    this is it. Outlined in orange in the middle. A small part of Our farm is at the bottom so you can see theres only 37 acres private (our crabby neighbor)between it and us. The light green on both sides is considered Shawnee National Forest

cantexian and elkguide like this.
  12. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Definitely some great advice in here. I'm currently 33 and am looking to retire whenever I can. First couple years of employment I maxed my 401k. Did both pre-tax and Roth. I've lowered my contribution over the past few years and have been leaning slightly on the Roth side, but still contributing to both. I've got into some real-estate / rentals, so I would like to slowly contribute more to that. Wife is a teacher so she's got the pension and contributing to a 403b. I've played with some stocks on my own, but have recently just bought into different ETFs. I got my life insurance broker and annuity license last year to work as a side job. I mainly sale to personals/referrals but I am hoping the renewals and residuals start to add up as time goes on. I just hope we can continue our path and that we all stay healthy. Its a long game and things can change quick. Thankful for where we are and looking forward to enjoying the whole process.

My dad retired about a year ago and my mom has been done for a while, it seemed like he wrestled with the health care issue for a few years. They seem to have gotten that figured out and he definitely doesn't seem to regret going!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  13. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  14. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I can retire at 52, but I’ll probably work a little longer. I’m only 31 now so I have some time. Union Fireman, I’ll see how my body is feeling in 20 years. If the drop program is available the full 8 will put me at 60. My future wife is 6 years younger than me and a nurse so she’s going to have to work for awhile after me which means I’ll have healthcare for a little bit after i retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. boonerville

boonerville Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    a lot of that depends on what you want or expect your lifestyle to be like when you retire.

The American dream we are all told to work for frankly sucks in my opinion. Work 45 years, pay nearly half of the money you earn in your lifetime to different forms of Taxes. Pay another third of it in interest over your life for houses, vehicles, student loan debt, etc. Only to get to age 65, retire, and live on 1/3 of the income we are accustomed to. That’s not the American dream I plan on living.

The rules of how money works have changed a lot over the past 40 years. The old way of doing things was, save your money, invest in a 401K, get out of debt…In reality, debt and taxes are what make wealthy people wealthier. Specifically, knowing how to use them both strategically. For myself, when I decide to stop working, I’ll have income streams of investment income (Real estate and land primarily) that will provide me either tax free, or tax favored retirement income. I plan on having fun when I retire, not pinching pennies.

trial153 likes this.
  16. beavertronic

beavertronic Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I work for a large healthcare insurance company. Employee match up to 6% but the biggest advice I can offer is to manage your own 401k account. Normally the company puts all of your money in a target account based on when you are “expected” to retire with them. I dumped half of that money and put it in some Vanguard funds with low fees and some decent stocks. It has made a gigantic difference in my returns. Just have to remember to check often to watch the market.

virginiashadow likes this.
  17. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:

Don't forget to include your fines for illegal taking of deer and other egocentric episodes to come.

You are a cancer to this sport, get over yourself and find a new crowd to entertain.

18. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Was waiting for that comment, faster than I thought. Lol

19. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Jordan needs to take his game elsewhere, he's a failure to the hunting community and in my opinion failed his wife and kids over a growth of calcium.

He's not a "Family Man", he's an "Antler Man". Failed regardless.

20. Siman/OH

Dislikes Received:
    Oh I’m fully aware, making a mistake or two is one thing but he just kept piling them on.

Sure does love this website though.

I still think he’s ohiobooners from AT and created the OG madness out of thin air LMAO