Can we talk retirement?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by wl704, Sep 1, 2021.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You are really hoping to slip into Todd's best stand when he isn't looking aren't you? :lol:

2. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Everyone talks about traveling when they retire. I have had all of it I want from my road warrior days.

With the exception of traveling to go fishing and seeing my grandson I'm just fine staying on my own little dusty roads!

Sota and cantexian like this.
  3. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    He's too sneaky - I don't even know where his best stand is. Plus, he's got so many cell cameras out it would take a Navy SEAL to slip past them all without him knowing.

4. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have worked in the retirement industry for about 15 years, it's really sad how little the average person has saved for retirement. I will make two suggestions:

If your company offers a match on your 401k, make sure you are contributing enough to receive the full match. It is free money, you would be a fool to pass it up.

Start contributing to your 401(k) or IRA early, compound interest is an amazing thing.

It is never too late to start saving for your retirement.

5. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 44, my wife is 40. As of right now, we have NOTHING for 401k/retirement/IRA. We had to cash in everything we had back in 2016 when I had my stroke. My wife and I were just talking about this last night. She is going to start up a 401k again at work, but they suck and won't match anything. My goal is to invest heavily when I'm done with school in 2 years, and my goal is to work at the VA hospital and put my years of service towards my retirement so I can retire at 65, if I live that long.

We just bought a house on the 13th, and now have about $8000 out there on credit cards for moving and getting essentials for the new house. Priority is to pay the cards off.

6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I wish i'd have known about my current workplace years before I started here. It's the first job I had with real benefits, if I could have started here when I was 20 rather than 30 I'd likely have my own property to hunt.

Lived paycheck to paycheck my entire life, I doubt that ever changes in all honesty, barring some lottery miracle :lol:

I don't have anyone that I have to leave something for when I go and have always said I don't mind dying broke, I just don't want to live broke.

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  7. Christopher Jay

Christopher Jay Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you do what you love no use for retirement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Christopher Jay

Dislikes Received:
    I’m looking forward to 6 Saturdays and a Sunday

9. PinkPony

PinkPony Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saying this - my company cannot offer a 401 (board doesn't allow it) - I have an old one from old job six years ago....who would you recommend to roll it over to?

With that being said - I most likely will never retire as I have a fear that I'll be dying early. I do have over $150k in life insurance policies on myself, lol.

10. Christopher Jay

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I’d started earlier for retirement but I’m putting in as much as I can manage trying to catch up.

11. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    In a way when I moved it was retirement. I mean we bought it as our retirement home, less maintenance, land. We did our kids a great favor of disposing a great deal of the crap we accumulated over 27 years and the house is in a trust in the kids names, it is part of their inheritance. My wife will retire as soon as she qualifies and that is why I will keep working.

12. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm with you on this one! Unfortunately I don't think there will be anything left by the time I'm able to retire!

Sota likes this.
  13. Ks.hunter

Ks.hunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm about to turn 41. I have been putting 11 percent into my 401 since I was 21. My wife and I cashed some of it in when they allowed us to with no penalty and paid the mortgage off. My 401 is still above average for my age and I will continue to put in until I can hopefully retire. We have a rule at our house. Only one loan at a time and no credit card bill is not paid in full. I would like to be able to retire, but would love for my wife to be able to when we have grand kids so that she can watch them.

Berwickbuckmaster and Sota like this.
  14. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’ll be 51 next month. I hope to drop down to part time work over the next couple years. I enjoy my work but I don’t enjoy taking call. I have many interests and activities that I enjoy and want to be able to travel while I’m physically able to.

I agree that health care will be a major expense for me. Otherwise I feel like I’m in pretty good shape with savings and no debt.

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  15. Christopher Jay

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone plan to work enough to afford your hunting and then live off your retirement? That’a my plan

elkguide likes this.
  16. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    pay off all debt as soon as possible, Stay out of debt if at all p[ossible, put 10 % of all made money away each check, take advantage of any employer retirement plans, max out employer donations, live frugally, try to stay away from major money losers, such as new cars, rice and beans beans and rice as dave ramsey says, You will be all smiles when you retire

virginiashadow likes this.
  17. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    It's the best my wife is off all summer so the grandson spends Fridays at the lake, I leave work early get home play with him and get to make supper for my daughter when she picks him up.

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  18. MGH_PA

MGH_PA Moderator

Dislikes Received:
    I'm hoping to retire between 50-55. I might go earlier depending on the state of education. I will have a pension, a 403b, my wife's 401k, Roth, and a 529 for both boys. Our only debt is our house and my wife's car (which was admittedly a want vs. need upgrade).

My luck? I will die at 45.

19. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Buy farm land.

fletch920 and Sota like this.
  20. Christopher Jay

Dislikes Received:
    I think there is a song about that lol. Honestly though they aren’t making more of it!

greatwhitehunter3 likes this.