The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. GeminiRidge

GeminiRidge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

I do my best work in high fences!!!!! That's how I got my wife. Ok, fellas. I'm going to crawl back to team 17. Good luck this season.

Team Haastyle and fletch920 like this.
  2. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Good luck to you too!

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I just finished spraying my hunting clothes with Permethrin. You know it’s real when that happens.

I ordered that hitch gambrel last Wednesday. The website says it’s supposed to be here tomorrow but the FedEx tracking number they listed shows no activity at all.

If it doesn’t show up I’m not sure what I’ll do about skinning and quartering a deer.

4. foodplot19

foodplot19 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Trying to make up for my short comings later on. :lol:

tynimiller likes this.
  5. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    About that time to wash some clothes and get them prepped. How do you guys store your clothes during hunting season? I usually hang up in my wood shed, but thinking of putting in a Tupperware container with leaves instead.

LittleChief likes this.
  6. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I have clasping totes that air water and air tight. Inside I have crushed carbon (slightly bigger than sand) and zeolite powder that typically just gradually collects at the bottom I will shake sometimes. So long as I don't sweat a ton all exterior items just go back in those totes after running in my scentmaster box or they just stay in the scentmaster box. Inside clothes go in a tote that has the mixture but nothing else and shaken and then stored back in scentmaster box or tote.

I usually run my small ozone machine into the scentmaster box right before loading up truck for a hunt.

Hunting boots have literally never seen the inside of a garage, house, vehicle - only hunting ground and/or scentmaster box. Inside of those get zeolite or carbon powder sprinkled in them nearly every hunt.

I do more but now I'm rambling and to be honest have scaled back my scent control "issue" the last few years a decent amount.

7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I just throw mine in a small suitcase or duffel bag.

Personally I think all the effort I used to put into keeping my hunting clothes pristine and totally scent free was almost a waste of time.

I know every little thing helps, but think it’s the hunter’s scent they pick up on. Breath, sweat, and that type of thing. It never mattered what effort I put into my clothing and personal hygiene, if a deer got into my scent stream I got winded.

I don’t know. Maybe I just stink???:lol:

The Ozonics helps a lot though.

Oldcarp likes this.
  8. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    In the end most of the time excellent entrance and exit and proper stand selection make the scent regime probably not needed, and honestly there is no way to truly know how many deer you get a shot at and how many you don’t if you hadn’t.

In other news despite being so close to the season I’m sending out a few more letters for permission to hunt on ground around closer to home or between work and home for those quick hunt situations. Fingers crossed there is a yes in the bunch

ash d and LittleChief like this.
  9. MIHOYT89

MIHOYT89 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I guess it’s time for me to find my hunting clothes…I moved twice in a matter of 4 months so this is going to be a task within itself ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

ash d, LittleChief and tynimiller like this.
  10. Team Haastyle

Dislikes Received:
    I wish I could still use my scent crusher bag and ozonics closet but I made the switch to First Lite and definitely don't need to degrade the fibers in the clothes. What I have found to is that about every 3-5 hunts pending sweat a good wash is a must. So I guess you could say the wife gets frustrated that the camo finds its way into the laundry machine quite regularly.

LittleChief likes this.
  11. ash d

ash d Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I keep mine in a tote. Then I wash them all about 2 weeks before season and hang them all out on the clothes lines for 2 weeks. Bring back in and put them all in the dryer then back in the tote. We don’t use any scented products in our washer or dryer. Then after a hunt I’ll start hanging them back outside right by the entrance door(my wife loves that). Looks like a dry cleaning business around our front door from October till mid December. Boots stay outside also.

LittleChief likes this.
  12. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I made the mistake once, used dirt scented drier sheets
    Her clothes smelled like top soil for days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I did that intentionally a couple of years ago with a load of bath towels.

I thought it was hilarious, but the more I laughed the more angry she got.

She hates that smell but I love it.

I’m only allowed to buy the unscented dryer sheets now.

14. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    My wife hates the hunting aspect and impact it has on what detergent and dryer sheets we use (we don't). I always have wanted a separate wash machine and dryer for hunting only for years, but when we moved and got brand new of both - we discussed setting up another set in the garage and she was deadset against it, so....I said fine uncented and no dye detergents and zero scented dryer sheets only forever. She was not happy, until I said she would get her say in quite a few things throughout the new build.

Win and win....but now she is grumbling more and more about it LOL

Team Haastyle and LittleChief like this.
  15. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Sorry I am here I’ve been hunting.

MIHOYT89, tynimiller and LittleChief like this.
  16. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Don’t worry about Ty. I told him you were hunting. :lol:

Get back out there and kill a big one. :tu:

Oldcarp likes this.
  17. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Here is a quick synopsis on my hunt so far this year. My elk hunt ends on the 10th of this month and my dear ends on the 17th of this month. I have been focusing a little more on deer because in the state of Utah it is a draw only for deer tags. We get them about every other year to every third year. I have put four stocks on deer so far. Got within 30 to 40 yards of all of them but could not get a shot. Nothing real monsters just one four point and three three points. (That is western count) this next week I’m going to focus on elk a little more. I did have a stare down with about a 320 bull. The nice thing Have been the temperatures. We hunt anywhere from 9500 feet to 10,000 feet. The low temps have been in the high 30s to low 40s The highs in the upper 60s to the low 70s. I come home in the valley and I about die of the heat. The only drawback is we have so much smoke because of the fires in California. But it does make for a cool sunsets

Attached Files:

18. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    That’s gorgeous! Makes me wish I was there.

Oldcarp likes this.
  19. Team Haastyle

Dislikes Received:
    Keep after them and good luck! Keep the stories coming as you can as well!

Oldcarp likes this.
  20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    THANK GOD my truck didn't have gun/bow or anything else in it. Live in a small 8 lot subdivision (dead ends) in a good spot and yet last night I made the mistake of not locking truck (rare for me) and BAM truck got gone through. Change (not pennies, those were everywhere) and some petty cash in center counsel taken. When I noticed I lowered tailgate where I had a small generator we take to the property to run air compressor and power tools if needed and it was gone as well. Left all my hand tools throughout truck and some other stuff.

I'm more pissed at the action and less about what they took. Church keys in counsel left, my garage door opener was in the truck and they didn't risk that action it seems but could have for sure - thankful they didn't...because if I'd heard them they'd have had a gun pulled on them and as much as I won't hesitate to have a gun drawn I really don't want to.

MIHOYT89 likes this.