Team 9 - Tag & Drag

Discussion in '2021 Deer Contest' started by Holt, Aug 30, 2021.

1. archbunk

archbunk Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Not quite ready but getting close. Bought my first new bow this past spring. Bear Whitetail Legend. Played around a little with arrows and weights and such. Shooting Easton Axis 300 spine with 75 grain insert and 125 grain grave digger hybrid heads. Total arrow weight is around 550 grains. Just about have everything dialed in at least to 30 yards. Usually don't shoot further than 30 when hunting but like to be set up for 40 yards if need be.

As for stand prep...... way behind. Pretty much going to hunt a couple of the same stands as in the past and adjust if needed. One of the good things about hunting the same property for a few years.

Getting the kids geared up for the youth weekend in a couple of weeks as well. 3 of my kids want to go this year so it will be a busy weekend!

Holt and gltomp like this.
  2. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't been shooting as much as I usually do but everything was still dialed in from last year. Food plots are all looking good. Just waiting for season. All stand are in place from last year just need to check some straps. Will get my one ground blind set out here in the next week or so. I have a bear tag this year also that starts in a week. Just not getting any action on them so far. Hope that pics up here in the next few days.

gltomp and Holt like this.
  3. jarin matthews

jarin matthews Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys im checkin in I'm from north arkansas been bowhunting a few years now. Are season starts in 25 days I'll be using my bear kuma
    Victory cap ss arrows
    Musacchia fixed broadsheets

4. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome Jarin. Got any good bucks your chasing this year?

jarin matthews likes this.
  5. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    My hit list so far, lol

Attached Files:

6. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey all, checking in here. So a little about me, been a member here for a long time, just been in the shadows the past few years. I live in NWPA and have some private ground in PA as well as WNY.

I spend most of my summer (ok all of it !) fishing Lake Erie for some of the gold it offers (walleye). There is a reason it’s the walleye capital of the world !

currently gearing up for some western elk hunting which will put me in Colorado the last week of September then back out to New Mexico in Unit 15 for a second season muzzleloader hunt. This hunt I am just going along with a friend.

Don’t worry though, the Food plots are coming in nicely, the Reveal X’s are hung and will serve as my eyes and will be back for the Halloween hunt !

should be a fun season and look forward to hearing of stories and seeing those success pics

Christopher Jay, sknox8 and Holt like this.
  7. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Haha! That's better then what I got. I went out scouting this weekend and never saw a deer. All I found was boot tracks and a cell cam in one of my better spots.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Welcome! And definitely update us on your elk trips. I've been getting the itch to go on another elk trip, haven't been since 2017.

Christopher Jay and elkhuntinut like this.
  9. elkhuntinut

elkhuntinut Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here are a few pics of the NY piece

Attached Files:

Christopher Jay, sknox8 and Holt like this.
  10. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    Nice pics! Good luck on the elk hunting as well

elkhuntinut likes this.
  11. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    I think there is a bachelor group of smaller bucks bedding close to our double ladder stand. Jumped them when I went to check the trail camera. Batteries were dead in the cam that’s been sitting out since last year. Last pics on cam were from late July. Several pics of some bucks. Might get a shot at one of the kids don’t shoot them first, lol

Holt likes this.
  12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey take what you can get. I know you said you were limited on time. Hopefully you can surprise them on opening day/week.

13. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice bucks

14. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    I’m usually pretty limited on time anyways so I’m not too picky. Main objective for me is venison for the freezer. I normally only hunt Saturdays and a few Sunday evenings and take a couple days off during the rut. This year won’t be able to take the couple days off. But they moved the youth waterfowl day from first early November to mid December so that will give me 1 extra day. It’s been since 2017 since I shot a deer with the bow so I’m itching to release an arrow into something. Especially with the new bow.

Holt likes this.
  15. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am ready, however the bow is not.
    Had to take it in to get restrung. Hoping the shop can get it back before my first scheduled outting trip Oct. 9th.
    Would like to get some practice in with it again week or 2 prior so I can get comfortable with it all dialed in.
    Covid finally hit my household, so the wife, kids and I are all bottled up until we are deemed "safe" for society again HAHA.
    Would have been nice to be bottled up with the bow back so I could get some good practice in.

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys

I pm ed the last guy. We were on a team together last year and he was active, so sure won't be long before he shows up. We are still waiting for one more person to sign up on the alternate list, then they will be assigned to our team.

So if you guys know any old members that haven't sign up maybe reach out to them and see if they would be interested.

LittleChief likes this.
  17. archbunk

Dislikes Received:
    Need to think of a team name and captain as well. Anyone have any ideas?

18. Rjhart12pt

Rjhart12pt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Checking in from north central Ohio. Can't wait to get back in the stand (maybe). I have been hunting a friends 23 acres for 9 or 10 years now. His Mom and Dad basically built 2 homes in one separated by the garages. He lives in one side and his mom and dad in the other. There is access to both sides from inside the homes. He told me the other day that a realtor approached his dad and offered a million dollars for the property. He is really, really considering selling. If he does, i will be hunting public somewhere. So i have pretty much done nothing so far thinking I will have to tear down stands and cameras. Think he said his dad would make a decision by the end of September after he got through a few doctor's visits. Need to replace my drop rest on my bow. Been shooting some and something is not right. Don't think it is dropping out of the way quick enough. Fletching is hitting something and sending arrow in a spin. Hoping to find time to map out some public areas just in case. 3 kids. One at Bowling Green, a high school senior and sophomore. Cross country and volleyball right now. Next 7 Saturdays are booked with kids sports. I get on the website and read alot of what's going on, but don't post much. Will update here and there. Will enjoy reading everyone's post. Good luck everyone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Holt likes this.
  19. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm going to start thinking of some and post up some once I get a few.

20. vanfossen

vanfossen Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Checked public cams after soaking for 17 days , nothing to write home about but they are still in summer patterns and creek crossing cam died.

Mathews HTR, Sword 5 pin, Truball release, Goldtip XT hunter 300, QAD 125 gr Swept, QAD rest

Christopher Jay likes this.