Okay, be honest…

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Swamp Stalker, Aug 26, 2021.

1. Swamp Stalker

Swamp Stalker Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So in today’s hunting, I think it’s safe to say a majority of us of a smart phone out while on the stand, just look at how popular the “live from the stand thread” is. I know some people are totally against it, and that’s cool bruh. You do you, and just keep on Truckin.

Just curious, how many times would you say you’ve missed a shot opportunity because you had your phone in hand?

I can’t say that I’ve missed shot opportunities, but I have happened to look up to see a deer in the vicinity and would have definitely seen them sooner had I not been on my phone.

2. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    More often than I probably know, but it has happened to me a couple of times.

MUDSHARK and Swamp Stalker like this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    A few, for sure. I can think of one specifically that I got pegged trying to stick my phone back in my pocket after catching one coming in.
    I have also on quite a few occasions gotten caught trying to film/take pics of non-shooters with my phone. If it wasn't for LFTS I probably wouldn't even try to do it, as it's not like I am compiling a yearly journal of little bucks.

SkylarPreston and Swamp Stalker like this.
  4. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Twice and one time it was a monster. I did get an opportunity but had I seen him at first it would've been an easy 18yd chip shot. Instead, I misjudged the distance when he got to about 45yds and I missed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dnoodles and Swamp Stalker like this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Thankfully it hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm sure it will at some point.

6. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    To my knowledge I’ve never missed an opportunity because of my phone and I post a lot on LFTS.

Then again, any time I have my phone out I’m constantly glancing up and looking around.

7. Humpythahunter

Humpythahunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve had deer come in out of nowhere and be right on me while messing with my phone. I may have missed some opportunities on does but not bucks that I know of.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Swamp Stalker likes this.
  8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I missed an opportunity on a good sized buck one late October bc I was taking a picture of the doe in front of me. That whole "full moon, shoot a buck at noon" that I used to think was nonsense came back to haunt me. I was close enough to town to hear the Noon siren go off and about that time I had a doe come through the woods 20 yards in front of me. I was taking a pic of her when I noticed she had a laser beam focused stare at something behind me, the buck both me and my dad were chasing. I slipped the phone back in my pocket and tried to get into position but it was already too late as they moseyed off and I've been beating myself up over it for about 8 years now. Good times. When I am out on the stand now I limit the amount of time on the phone by reminding myself of that day I missed an opportunity on the one of the biggest bucks I've seen on the hoof.

9. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have had quite a few incidents. Few that cost me a shot, few that I'll never knows because i looked up as they ran. I'm going to try very hard this year to keep my phone in my pocket.

10. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    None to my knowledge, I've looked up to see a deer coming in quite a few times. A couple times I killed that deer. 2013 was one of them that I remember for certain.

The alternative to that question would be, I think a few times the phone actually helped me. So many times I have seen a deer coming from afar only to shift or have the deer catch some type of movement and it stops and changes course. So being on my phone reading the forums or playing a game keeps me from fidgeting around and having them see me before I see them.

I've never had a missed opportunity where I look up and a deer has moved completely through without me knowing it. In range anyway.

11. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’m an anti phone in stand guy, however I do read a book and it has happened a few times while reading. No lost shot opportunity but was surprised none the less. A distraction is a distraction I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Even when I do have my phone out, I'm usually keeping an eye on things around me. Not like I'm posting long posts on lfts anyway. I'm a little add, so distractions are the norm for me. I can't ever recall getting caught of guard in the stand bc of my phone. It is always when I have to get down for an emergency pooo that things seem happen. Lol

Sent from my SM-G781V using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

13. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I could have killed about a 90" five point in late October last year. Instead, I decided to take a video with my phone and wait for something bigger. He walked right to the base of my tree. I have killed better bucks and with all the little bucks I was seeing, I figured I would see something better. That ended up being the only legal buck I had in range all year. Hindsight is 20/20, at the time passing felt right and I had no regrets at the end of that hunt. Looking back, maybe I should have shot him. I have not killed that many bucks with a bow. I won't be that picky this year.

Fix and Swamp Stalker like this.
  14. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    my phone stays off unless I'm checking weather/wind, I will take an occasion pic or text, but then it gets turned off agin .... ... I dont play games on it nor converse ... there are many time I wont even touch it for 8-10 hours ...I'm out there to hunt, ...a good day for me is when I dont see, hear nor smell another human ..

15. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Never missed a shot chance, but I'd assume somewhere along the way I've missed seeing a deer or two that I would have if I didn't have it out.

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    mmmhmmm.

17. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    O ya I been caught a couple times playing on my phone, I try to keep it away but it always ends up back out. If I m seeing deerz the phone isn’t out ever unless I’m filming a good buck I’m not gonna shoot.

18. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing yet, I’m sure it will happen sooner or later

19. camo75

camo75 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That’s where a good camera man comes into play right?
    I am on my phone way to much but when you get bored it helps staying in longer. Have not missed a shot opportunity though.

20. Nick Lewandowski

Nick Lewandowski Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I usually don't have an issue with getting caught on my phone. It's usually when I'm trying to eat a snack that I get caught. And I don't know how many times it's happened. But it's gotten to a point that I won't eat in the stand.