Hunting with My Daughter

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by JeffKo, Aug 19, 2021.

1. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting with My Daughter

The adventure in Whitetail hunting began last fall...Not many trips into the woods, a misfire and memories. You can catch up On the Introduction forum:

https://forums.bowhunting.com/threads/back-in-the-woods-thanks-to-my-daughter.99848/

The past few weeks in S.E. Michigan has been one insane storm after another. Last weekend we spent Saturday removing fallen trees and huge Black Locust branches off my brothers property. If you haven't spent time learning or been taught rigging / Recovery...I highly suggest learning the Basics\plus (snatch block and pulley). Our daughter (Maddi) Got her first real lesson in rigging and why you wear gloves when using hand tools and hauling Blk Locust (thorns & Blisters).

Into the woods:

After clearing, cutting up and digging my brother out. We head for the woods...to begin our next stage for our “Fall Forage” Food plot.

Foot March into the woods, covered in bug spray, because the Mosquitoes are insane this year. First step: deciding on the best location for the blind that will give us the most shot lines, with least amount of body rotation inside the blind. If you haven’t read my post on the intro page...I added the link above...in short. Maddz said flat-out..”I’m not ready for the Tree stand” . So, Ground Blind it is.

Clearing was expected to be rough, but we were blessed. Under the canopy of Oak trees and yet to be determined tree species, was literally one layer of fallen leaves. Maddi took into clearing saplings with a clearing tool...again, I offered her gloves…”I got it Dad”... You can lead a horse to water !! . Dad got the rake. If I had known it was going to be light raking, I would have packed in the leaf blower…

We cleared about 150’ x 100’ (aprox) . I have the intention of clearing more...but our shooting lanes are set. As luck would have it; and a teenager with her phone, that has the tape measure app pre installed. We walked off our distances. If you can believe it...we have two trees, about 6-8” that separate two of our lanes...it really defines them, if you know what I mean.

Using the app on her phone. First tree is 22yd….second tree is 31yds from where our blind is. And the blind sits elevated above those targets...may 5-6’, we have the high ground. We were also happy, while clearing the fallen leaves. We began to see a lot of acorn, and deer tracks. So we followed some of the tracks, and began to pile fallen branches to help channel them down the same pathway each time. This weekend (8/20&21) we'll be back to fell two trees and work on the blind spot (hehe). And we’ll see if our do-it yourself deer lanes actually worked

Blind location;

The location we decided on may workout better than we think. In the location is a wind- fallen oak. I plan to trim that out for the blind and use the trimmed material to ‘Machine Gun Nest’ the blind. Right now the blind, is the least of my worries. Though it is on my mind, and I have received a lot of great advice.

Maddi and I, the food-plot learning curve is huge...there is NO guarantee of the outcome. Maddz is our little gift that has grown into a young lady, who loves life and everyone she meets...she’s a beast on the volleyball court, once she’s between the lines she is all business, yet she can leave it all between the lines, when the game is over. She is the reason we’re in the woods...that we are trying to cultivate our own little herd.

This year We’ve decided to go full time homeschool; through Liberty University / Liberty On-line. There is just too much uncertainty...and Trust in the school boards is out the window. This in the long and short term gives us flexibility for the Whitetail and Turkey season . Children are a blessing, and this adventure is no less than God's hand. If you haven’t figured it out or read my intro...Our house and lives are in God's hands. He is our guide. I’m the furthest from the pillar, but I am living proof the red letters will save you.

Leaning on the rake watching Maddz chop away...wondering how I let her talk me into wearing running shorts, tennis shoes and an obnoxiously loud pink shirt into the woods. makes wonder….Dads’ Our daughters’ have us wrapped around their fingers. I know many of you have hunted with your daughters, I commend you. I have known fathers when I was growing up. That didn’t take their girls hunting...or today use hunting as an excuse to exit the house. Last year was my first year hunting since 2008. The year Maddi was born. Now I'm back…. In the woods. Enjoying God's Creation

Hunting with My Daughter !

If you didn't believe me...this was the end of the tree removal....Maddi in her rugged outdoors gear. she found that dull axe in her uncles shed...proceeded to chop as much of that branch IMG-3361.jpg as possible...

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Nothing better then spending time with ones daughter.

3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fun read.

4. DH Outdoorsman

DH Outdoorsman Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome, great job dad.

5. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hunting with my Daughter; Forest Management
    Last weekend was forest management; Maddz was busy with Youth Group and Volleyball. I was flying solo, with Brush Cutter & Chainsaw in hand. The family property / Pine wood forest section has become so over grown Deer are trying to find different routs to pass through. Add in all the rain we have received in Michigan has flooded the marsh. Water has washed over our homemade Sluice Gate...We're not Dam Engineers [​IMG], and has created a bog in some areas.
    This has resulted in flooding of the Pine Forest to which the saplings, weeds have exploded (that is a figure of speech) and the old growth have suffered. Add in high winds....and we have Widow-makers (leaners), at least half dozen. Pine trees that reach those heights, and the soil becomes so saturated, we have threes that have just fallen over

I was trying to clear the main path to the Hardwood side where we plan to Hunt. I reached a point of unpassable thicket, so much so, the brush cutter gave up...This has more to do with a dull blade. This area borders two other private properties. One Side is farm land the other: The Cranky Old Divorced Marm. I was fighting my way along the Marm border. She's not big on hunters...so we're trying to be respectful. But, we have a legal right to access our property. We may be traversing a short distance of her gravel driveway to re-enter our property and Hunting Area. Much of that management will have to wait until fall...the humidity this weekend will be brutal.

I have the luxury to work in a department with plenty of power tools...that include forestry equipment. Nothing serious, just enough to do damage. FYI. If you have this luxury...please return the tools in better condition than you used it. The reason the blade is dull. Because some people think it's their right to beat the S*** out of equipment that they didn’t pay for. Got that off my chest.

I used to do a lot of this management with my Dad. His mobility is now with a walker, and Me’ma can’t walk the 20 anymore. This weekend we’ll be back on the plot. I have to add the Fall Forge and Rye… plus clear our blind area. Our daughter will be with me picking up seeds and sweating in the woods. I’m also considering new strings on my Bow. I don’t know. I’m in the marked for a brand new uses Elite™ Kure 32

6. HancockCountyIL

HancockCountyIL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That’s great!

7. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Plot Growth:
    Back into the woods this weekend, and my daughter's absolute joy. As we marched through the woods, over the bluff...so many prayers were answered; Bright Green new growth. My response; “Thank you God”….Maddz response…”I did that,...I tossed all the seed”. We all know who made the seed grow. But, her response was priceless and my earthly joy of the day. The excitement was short-lived because we had another 20lbs of seed and 10-10-10 to lay down and she wanted the bags opened to get at it. This was icing on the cake, since the new ground blind arrived and her excitement. Plus all the pictures she took including selfies; "Dad, I can't wait to show Mima and Papa. Mom is going to freak"
    ...it was a wonderful way to spend our Sunday after church; Hanging out with Grandparents and seeing the fruits of your labor. I will say this, Barronett™ makes a very stout blind.

Is this our first ever food plot -Yes- Was I skeptical of an August / September food plot .. absolutely. Even though I have been in contact with a Land / White Tail Herd Manager and Plot seed producer. I just felt like I was doing something wrong. I was getting into my head, sowing the seeds of doubt.. My real concern was more about the disappointment Maddi would have had if all we had was dirt. After all the time put into clearing, preparing, the sweat, the blisters and at times swarming Mosquitoes...seeing all this new growth made it all worth it.

These days are struggles indeed. We have chosen to home school Maddi, and that choice has proven wise. This adventure has been the greatest learning experience. The food plot and teaching Maddi the skills she will need to hunt is for her. Learning to live off the land is priceless knowledge. Since we’ve now spent seven weekends in the woods. We’re looking at it differently, Not like a Tree hugger...more to; how we can ‘use’ the woods, and what nature has to offer us. Watching YT videos by Jeff Stugis (White Tail Habitat Solutions) he stresses; you / our land, woods need to be used. Need to be managed. If we want healthy wildlife; we need to do our little part to manage, especially harvest.. He and others in this Habitat business agree, wildlife disease has links to ‘mismanagement’, ill advised human intervention; like feeding the wildlife, the wrong diet. In this short amount of time, seven weeks, I have become a true believer in proper, well managed food plots...especially small plots like the one we have.
    As I always stress...Dad’s!!, get your daughters into the woods...Teach them to hunt and fish, learn with them. We think we have the answers...maybe some, but not all. Most of all Walk-in Christ, make sure they see you spending time in the word. This is the Dad we should first and foremost show our daughters.

The plot actually comes further from the left. Maddz was laying down more seed. further to the right of the fallen tree. We're considering expanding in that direction, mainly for next season. further right doesn't offer you the shot lanes that we have. You have one quality shot. After that. You better be a Compound Bow snipper. Once again Maddi is wearing "her" proper woods gear. Shorts, tennis shoes, bright blue hoodie and her 2A Hi Viz orange hat
    IMG_3420 (1).jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

8. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Holy smokes it's nearly opening day. Where has the time gone. Weather and Rona. Past 10 days off work relaxing and waiting for the worst every cold to show its head. In the end, the Reality, little to no symptoms. Now, me and my family are Naturally immune. Adding it all up. My daughter and I lost three weeks. We haven't been on the plot in that amount of time. Though we did get in Some Rona Jail Ground Blind target practice.
    My last post we were laying down more fall forage seeds and prayed for rain....Two days later prayers were answered...we got rain...then a full days break. Then the clouds opened up. Weather over S.E. Michigan, nearly a week and a half of rain. Some days were steady down pours. Others were on and off. We got a lot of rain. I just hope all that rain had positive effect.
    I hope all is well with everyone and their families... God Bless

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  9. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Noah's sandals, more rain, volleyball injury and Mini Club Season. What gives...

Those of you who are Volleyball or for that, Travel Sports Families, know they do these mini seasons on purpose, right??. Our daughter suffered a training injury to her foot, this has kept her off the trail. That said, these kids heal quickly, this Friday and Saturday we have plans to hunt together...have to watch her closely. fortunately in the blind, if she has a shot. she can sit and release.
    I truly believe; we can't be anxious., our trials are tools God uses to change us...injuries, Plans change due to illness, or in this case weather. The past four weeks I have been anxious has heck, that we haven't been in the woods making our memories...anxious about my families health, not living in fear...this is a test...I truly believe it. keeping my faith and being thankful...

10. JeffKo

JeffKo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Good lord...As I sit here in my office. the downpour of rain is epic, should like I'm inside my truck going thru the Auto hurricane washing device. and the angry emoji I received from my daughter... "will it ever stop raining'. Our hunting plot has to be under water by now. well...we won't know until this evening