Film Styles - 24FPS vs 30FPS

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by Gabriel Denzine, Aug 9, 2021.

1. Gabriel Denzine

Gabriel Denzine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I'm in a debate. The more I work in the industry the more I get amped up about this kind of stuff.

2 years ago, I through my camcorder in auto and hit the record button.
    1 year ago I started filming in 30 FPS and 60 because I liked to slow things down for slow motion.

Currently I now use a GH5 with a couple different lenses... My Main being a Zuiko 12-100mm which I will bring to the field every single time. On my YT Channel, I'm trying to set a better standard to make my film quality the best that an amateur could be... I dove more into a cinematic look for intros, B-roll, and shots that I can take my time with - but am fine with taking what I can get when it comes to uncuffed, in the moment kill shots - Most of the time my friends have the camera when I hunt and I can't get the same quality of film that I would get if I was filming them...

I'm debating filming my videos in 24fps this year to help a little extra light and "cinematic" look. Granted when I shoot slow Mo's in 50% or 33% speed it will still be different, but I am in the debate for if I should switch up or not... is it worth a try? I'm sure there are uses for both pending the scenario you are in, but I'm looking to pic a standard for my channel very soon.

Let me know your thoughts and if you have a little bit more knowledge that I can have, I will try to relate it back to my friends with little to no film knowledge (Guys that when I say adjust the shutter, look at me and say "What?").

2. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I usually make sure my flash is on when I take a picture of an animal I killed.

Sorry dude, just kidding. I don’t record when I hunt. As fun as that seems to me I’d rather enjoy the moment. I’m sure other dudes here have opinions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Gabriel Denzine

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files:

4. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been filming and editing in 24 fps for several years now. The frame rate just has a "feel" to it that I like. I only shoot 60 fps or 120 fps when it is something that I know that I want to slow down. 60 fps gets slowed down to 40% and 120 fps gets slowed down to 20%. I honestly don't shoot a lot of slow mo on actual hunt footage these days. I save it for the B-roll stuff or the POV action cams that are in a situation like say the turkey decoys.

I always follow the 180 degree shutter rule.

I have presents programed into my camera so that I can switch on the fly quickly between frame rates.

It is to each his own though.

Gabriel Denzine likes this.
  5. Gabriel Denzine

Dislikes Received:
    Small World, You answered my question on the Facebook thread I posted it on. I appreciate it.

DEC likes this.