Long range shooting ...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by OHbowhntr, Aug 9, 2021.

1. OHbowhntr

OHbowhntr Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm coming back to archery a bit more now as I'm finding more time as my kids are old enough to fend for themselves, but this stuff has bitten me as well ... Any long range rifle shooters here? And as I'm doing it I'm bringing some young men into it with me, two of my nephew and a young man I coached in NASP & Centershot archery... We've all been to 1000 yards on 12" steel plates with at least 2 different rifles...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  2. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    That's some awesome country there... We don't have quite that open range around here... We do have one range about 40 minutes away that goes to 1 mile, but none of my equipment is anywhere near that ... But one if the guys in our group back in March did hit the mile 2 of 5 shots!!! A 12" plate at 1000 is about as good as my old eyes will ever be...

3. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    This is the long range about 40 minutes away...

Attached Files:

Okiebob and GregH like this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Dang gentlemen that is some shooting.

OHbowhntr likes this.
  5. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Nice what platform and round are you shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    I'm running a group of Savages, Model 10 tactical 6.5CM with 24" bull barrel, Model 12 .308 with 26" bull barrel both with Accu-triggers, the taller young man has an Axis II 6.5CM with Accu-trigger and a custom Boyd's stock, and my recent really crazy run was using a basic Axis .223 and Tula Ammo 55 gr .223 steel case round, and I was able to hit the 24" plate at 1000 on the second shot using some far fetched dope and the very bottom set of cross hairs on my Arken 4-14x44 scope that's on it ... I also have a .224 Valkyrie, but haven't yet run it through the rigors to get it there, but it's on an AR platform, and good for about 1 MOA out to 400 which is the furthest I've shot it... I haven't taken it with us yet... It's my next venture... Handloads certainly can help...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    Wedes likes this.
  7. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    ohio bowhunter I am so confused, you start out saying your getting into archery, then go to 1000 yard shooting !! The two do not go together

8. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot long range. I have a couple of different setups. A Remington 722, originally chambered in .300 Savage but in '54 when the .308 was introduced it was bored to fit it. I have a fixed 6x Unertl on it and its a tackdriver out to 800 meters. I have a pre '64 Winchester model 70 in 30-06 with a 4x12x50mm Swarovski. It has had a lot work done prior to my owning it. It was more of a collector when I bought it but it is a sweet shooter. I also have a Barrett M82 for chits and giggles. It has a Leupold 6x20x50mm and it's fun to shoot a couple of times a year.

I go out to western Oklahoma when I shoot which can be a real challenge with the wind and heat some days but all in all I enjoy it and hit the plate consistently.

axtell343 and OHbowhntr like this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I go back and forth between 168gr. or 176gr SBT.

Kinda surprised, given your work setup, your going with the 300 win mag and not the Norma.

10. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I honestly don’t have a real good reason but I have access to .300 win mag rounds more than Norma so that helped some

11. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fair enough. Lol. Ive only read about the Norma and given the condition of the market with ammo would probably do the same.

12. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Coming back to archery a bit more... I've always been shooting since I started over 30 years ago, but taken a bit if a hiatus from a LOT of shooting for a few years, but since this is the water cooler, I thought I'd share and seek some info on long range rifle shooting. I've only sporadically been in the forums, but have peeked back in to see what's going on... But actually, archery and long range shooting do have several similarities, as far as good form, follow through on the shot, and knowing and trusting your equipment. This is "Bowhunting.com," isn't it... There that picture better...

Attached Files:

Okiebob likes this.
  13. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

When I was looking at rifles I was really into that seekins precision! I'd love to hear what you think. Right now I am running a browning hells canyon .300 win mag. Have an OK nikon scope on it. Shooting Hornady precision hunters eldx 200 grn. I'm hitting steel at 700 yards. We just recently extended the range to 1000 yards. Excited to see how I perform at those distances. Still learning a lot about calling the shots. All in all, I feel pretty confident hunting out to 500 yards. I would eventually like to get some better glass for the gun.. I picked up a CVA paramount pro colorado this year that I would like to switch the nikon over to.

14. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Seekins Precision makes top notch stuff. It is located in my home town where I currently live.
    My cousins are about 10 years younger than me and went to school with Glen Seekins. He was a friend of theirs and came over to my Aunt and Uncle's quite a bit when they were all in high school. Good kid.
    I hadn't seen him in a while after they'd graduated and ran into his mom at the grocery store. She told me he was going to taxidermy school. She happened to mention that he needed "donations" to use for practice, I had just recently shot a bear and so I gave him the skull and hide from it to use. It wasn't long after taxidermy school that he decided to switch gears and started up Seekin's Precision. It was wildly successful from the get-go.
    My uncle and cousin both have ar style rifles from him, both are very pleased with them. I have no experience with his long range offerings but know that the stuff he produces is very high quality.

mhouck06 likes this.
  15. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So I haven’t actually shot mine specifically yet. We went that course last winter and guy who runs the course is super famous in long range competition. He is tight with the owners of seekins right there in Idaho. So we got huge discounts. They just finally got done being made. At the course though we got to shoot a half dozen seekins in diffferent calibers and makes. They are sexy guns. Like what a rifle platform is supposed to look and feel like. They are high performance for sure. I shot the make and caliber I actually ordered the hacks pro hunter 2 .300 win mag. It was awesome. Definitely would recommend a muzzle break for her though haha.

mhouck06 likes this.
  16. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have an AR platform as well. It just isn’t done yet. Super excited for it though.

17. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Man those are some pretty rifles, I'd even go so far as to say sexy af. Really having to resist the urge, the hell with it. I think I am going to order that Havak PH2 in .308

Wedes likes this.
  18. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That’s my .300 win mag. It’s an awesome gun.

19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You did well.

20. OHbowhntr

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if your "scope budget," if you're looking at an upgrade over that "OK Nikon," but I have an Arken and Athlon that are both very good glass and have been good for 1000 yard shots having pretty good rangefinder reticles in them ... I have a buddy who has the newest Arken 2nd Gen scope and it's going to be my next scope purchase... For under $600 you can have the scope and a solid 34mm 20 MOA rail mount... But in all honesty, the "cheap" Monstrum FFP 6-24x50 scopes I have both are repeatable, hold zero, and have good enough glass that you can spot hits and misses at 1000 yards, and you can pick up your shooting partner's bullet vapor trail with them... Certainly not Arken or Athlon glass quality, but for $150-160, in a FFP scope, they are pretty damned good...