Handheld/Thumb release swivel heads

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by JHasty, Jul 28, 2021.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am looking to possibly switch from a wrist strap style release this year to a handheld thumb release. Just curious if a release that the head swivels on more accurate than one that the head does not swivel on. I am mainly referring to the non swiveling head putting torque of the d loop and string.

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Unless you're a pro, you probably will never see a difference.

The swivel could, in theory, wear over time and/or be a potential point of failure.

In practice, I've shot the same (cheaper) truball release for 2 or 3 years... My accuracy has only improved over the last few years... More from practicing at longer distances and working on technique.

JHasty likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I believe that is a personal preference. I tried a few this year as I lost my release at the end of season. I just couldn't get into the thumb style and back tension and ending up going single caliper wrist.

JHasty likes this.
  4. NebMo Hunter

NebMo Hunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'm actually going back to a wrist strap release from my handheld thumb release this year.
    had release come out of my hand twice while drawing, yes I know that's user error but that's scary and it hurt, bad, both times

JHasty likes this.
  5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I do not like a swivel head on any release, most especially a handheld.

One of the main advantages of a hand held release is the consistency applied to D loop and hence the string while your rotate and pull though your shot. On level ground and during practice form you won’t see any difference, but get into odd positions, uneven mountain county the consistency of the torque applied though your shot may make a difference.
    Another point is why add any additional wear points to an already complicated mechanical devise.

JHasty likes this.
  6. Cory smith

Cory smith Newb

Dislikes Received:
    i dont think the swivel head thumb releases would be any better than a normal one. only benefit i can see is that it will save on the wear and tear on your d-loop

JHasty likes this.
  7. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you are looking to try out something along the back tension side, but are currently using the wrist strap release, check out the Back Strap Tension Release from Nock On.
    Appears to be a really good hybrid for those wanting to try out back tension coming off a wrist strap release.
    It is was I am eyeballing currently, as I prefer the wrist strap pull method, but would really like to get into back tension shooting.

JHasty likes this.