Witnessed a bow malfunction like never before...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by tynimiller, Jul 29, 2021.

1. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    So I was at my buddy's bow shop to drop bow off as I make the switch to a new rest (HHA Virtus) and like normal end up there talking bows, hunting and trying to lend a hand for him since he was busy and only has one other employee.

I was out on the floor talking bows with a customer and his family along with the one employee fletching some arrows. Out from the range walks this young man with his PSE EVO NXT....the string is just hanging there oddly, and he says my bow won't shoot....

....that's when we notice as he points at his cams and limbs that this thing's cams and limbs are locked at full draw "loaded"

Quickly told the kid to not put his hand that close cuz that thing lets loose we're gonna have more than just a bow problem.

Ultimately we could not figure out what had occurred. The stops appeared installed fine, didn't appear as if anything looked out of place or broke or a screw loose that would have caused this. My buddy couldn't even fit the thing in his one press and was about to take it downstairs when the kid said he had just paid for "insert another bow shop" to go through it entirely, tune it and had picked it up just last night.

My buddy gave the kid a bow case for traveling hopefully safer (incase it lets loose) as the kid wanted to take it back to that shop and demand they figure out what is wrong.

Anyone ever seen this?

Kid ended up shooting the V3 27 because he wanted to, but this young man while could easily draw 70lbs back is incredibly smaller frame and his true draw length is 24....which of course is shorter than the smallest 25DL the j-mods bring the V3 to...

2. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have heard of this, but have never seen it in person. I may have seen it on a YouTube video awhile back. I believe it has something to do with cam design and huge let off of the cam.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

3. Shocker99

Shocker99 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats wild!

4. AL fulldraw

AL fulldraw Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Had this happen to me last year. I purchased an elite ritual and took it to a friend of mine‘s house so that he can install the arrow rest Peep-sight D-loop and everything else it takes to get a bow ready. As I get there we adjust the draw weight he puts the bow in the bow press compresses the limbs takes tension off the string and inserts the Peepsight. As I draw back for him to adjust a peep sight he makes the move for the Peepsight as I let down the string is limp like a noodle and the bow is fully compressed. In my case he removed the draw stops while the bow was in the bow press And forgot to put them back in so the cables was bound against the cam. We could not fit it back in his bow press to take the tension off of the limbs so that we could reroute the cables. I had to load it in my truck and take it to the closest archery shop that had a bow press that would work. The first initial try the bow popped out of the bow press and hit the ground which bent my cam. Finally were able to compress the limbs enough to get the string and cables off of the bow. Took it back to my buddies house he ordered a cam and built new strings and cables. Everything is working fine now. When I took it to the archery shop I felt like I had a ticking time bomb in the backseat of my truck every bump I went over I felt like the bow was going to explode.

MUDSHARK likes this.
  5. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am just confused by the physics of it...
    isn't the string the part that keeps the bow arms bent? if the string goes limp, then what would have been holding the arms down to keep the energy from releasing?

6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Cams likely jammed... So the cables and limbs likely under tension.

7. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Aren't the cams (eccentrics) just "fancy" pullies? How would they get jammed?
    Sorry for newbish questions...just wanting to understand and learn more.

8. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Wow! I have never seen or heard of that before.

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Something gets wedged between the cam and limb or a shim. Untrue axle. I don't know if that bow has bearing, probably not, but old Oneidas had some needle bearings, which could get fubarred.

Regardless, not normal, extremely dangerous!

10. fowcbler

fowcbler Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah definitely not normal...and sounds rather terrifying

11. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I've read about this happening but have never seen it in person.
    That has to be as stressful as holding a ticking time bomb but not being able to see the timer.

12. 87TT

87TT Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I had a draw stop slip past the cable once and get get stuck. Took me some looking to catch it. I kept an arrow in it at full draw while carefully taking it out in the yard and laid it all on the ground. Once I saw what had happened, I carried it at full draw with an arrow in it back in and put it on the draw board, relieved the tension a little and let it down holding the cable off the draw stop. Didn’t use a press, just the draw board.

13. sknox8

sknox8 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow. Crazy. I have never heard of this before. Hope it all worked out for the young man

14. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    yeh, elites are famous for it

15. GeminiRidge

GeminiRidge Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I feel like I'd need a bomb suit to handle that bow. Constant flinching while standing within 10 feet of it.

16. goldtipxt

goldtipxt Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received: