Map Help?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Agi Ambre, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Agi Ambre

Agi Ambre Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I don't see many hunters from my area on here so I'm not to worried about showing my plan. I'm going for a solo coyote hunt at the end of July. Would you guys be able to help me out with good planning and positioning? I understand wind and wanting to make sure I'm down wind. My concern is staying away from hikers, finding good glassing spots.
    This will be my first attempt at hunting. I do have a hunting plan set up and I will be camping with a small group within 5 miles of this planned spot. I chose this spot because I can see the various game trails. There's ample water and good coverage for a ground spot.
    To give an idea of scale, the distance around the shore line is less than 1 mile.
    I appreciate your help in advance.

Attached Files:

• sat.png
      sat.png
      File size:
      10.1 MB
      Views:
    • topo.png
      topo.png
      File size:
      7.7 MB
      Views:
  2. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not much of coyote hunter but grew up trapping and have trapped coyotes for a side job as depredation. They are going to run tree lines wind checking and sight checking open areas for food. In July the moms will still have pups with them though they are gonna be decent size by now.

They love to run those areas where the trees come to a point. I always set there and crush. I wouldn’t think you would wanna set up there, but be in range of them. Biggest thing with yotes is if there is no sign aka poop, tracks, etc there’s no yotes. So if you have found sign set up based off winds.

Like I said though don’t really hunt them but I have trapped hundreds of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agi Ambre likes this.
  3. Gabriel Denzine

Gabriel Denzine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    The Bottom left corner of your map, on the second photos shows some streams at the bottom of those two ridges... Almost like a funnel.

If it is wet back there, marshy or anything by chance, Setup on the base of either ridge based on the wind (you'd want it blowing out towards the open field) and let loose on some calls.

Agi Ambre likes this.
  4. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    Thank you.
    It's a seasonal stream. Usually with snow melt or storms. There is a storm in the forecast this weekend.
    The trail head to the meadow is elevated so I can easily scope out and see if it's active. The only challenge I have to using the stream is a 100yd boundary from any of the hiking trails. The area has a restriction for the curtesy and safety of the hikers.
    I was considering the 2 small meadows West of the lake they are slightly elevated and in route to the 2 main bodies of water. To the east is campgrounds cabins and highway. Looking at the direction of wind for the last few days it has been blowing south/south west. So right into that corner.
    I don't have high expectations of an encounter on this trip but at least ill gain experience.

5. Gabriel Denzine

Gabriel Denzine Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Using a Fox Pro Call?

6. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    I'm using the Icotec Gen2. It's been good at pissing off the dog and Yotes on the preserve near my house.

7. Parker70

Parker70 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I don't really hunt them anymore but when I did we'd go listen at first light and right before dark. They will sound off from their den. That will get you in the right area. Play the wind and hunt them early morning or late evening. Night time is great if it's legal. Pup distress calls and fawn in distress calls will work well in the summer. Using maps is fine but I e had more luck scouting and then hunting them

8. Agi Ambre

Dislikes Received:
    I ended up scouting the Friday night and came within 50 yards of one female she bolted as soon as some one across the meadow started yelling at another person on the other side. The rest of the weekend was quiet. I took of early Saturday morning before first light and scouted the same area from the first sight. i'd stay in one area for about 30 minutes at a time then move along.
    repeated the same that evening. After the noisy kids there were no more calls or sightings. There was plenty of evidence of them. As a bonus however, I found a turkey roost, a few scraped trees and 5 tree stands. Leads me to believe I was in the right areas.

virginiashadow likes this.