Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Game Warden Behavior

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by DoubleLung84, Jan 22, 2010.

1. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The piss-luge! Heck I KNEW I should've pattented that idea!

2. DoePeeSteve

DoePeeSteve Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it's flat out polite to just wait and not interrupt a hunt. However, she was probably looking for illegal individuals (which may hide their vehicles). Why else would she be walking around the woods DURING the season? Looks like you got caught in poor timing.

Is it possible she found your car with out of state plates, went looking for you, and luckily stumbled upon you?

3. DoubleLung84

DoubleLung84 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Here's the thing Steve. The area I'm hunting in, there is no way a vehicle can get into. From where I park to where I hunt there is nothing but thick cover, swamp and trenches. The only way only would be able to get into there would be on ATV, but they would have to park where I park to get their ATV in there.

4. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In 40 years in the woods i have never seen a agent, they wait at your vehicle hiding in the brush until you put your weapon up then approach, there not fools.
    probably the most dangerous job in law enforcement . imoa

someone called in on you for sure, maybe because of where your vehicle was parked or the out of state tags, but i am surprised a officer would walk up to someones stand in the woods... not smart or ok in my book.
    she had to believe there was a violation in progress and stumbled upon you.

If it were my ground as the owner i would have words with her and with her supervisor,unless there is some kind of violation in progress or probable cause ie.. some phonecall into the office then she should have waited at the vehicle.
    this kind of police work is a open invitation for someone to pore some corn near a stand of someone or a neighbor you dont like and call the law just to stir up some $#1T. mo has a law against that too.:D

5. BowHuntingFool

BowHuntingFool Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So if she waits for you to finish hunting, meets you at the truck, checks you, everything is cool and your good to go.... but, if there is an ass out there doing something illegal like poaching and she waits for the guy to get back to the truck, in the meantime maybe animals get killed while she is waiting! I have no problem with the warden doing their job!

6. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    she can do her job when the poacher drags the deer to the road, or truck and even if she is watching you she is going to wait until after you shoot so saving a deers life is not a solid reason for trespass and endangering her life or mine for that matter and if she has to work overtime to meet me at the truck so be it.

someone simply called this guy in because of his out of state truck sitting by the road.
    dont get me wrong i like agents and we need them, they just dont jump out of there truck and walk all over peoples ground without probable cause, when they know the people are out there with weapons of there own. well unless there not to bright ,they just lay and wait at you hunting vehicle when they have a advantage of surprise and helps them keep some safety and ready for backup

7. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Couldn't be tresspassing in NC. Not sure of the laws, where you live.

In NC, they (GW's) have more authority in this arena than policemen and sheriff's deputies.

How would they know if you were doing something illegal at your stand (ex - baiting, where illegal)....unless they went there?

8. MeanV2

MeanV2 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, A GW wouldn't have to see what's going on to know a deer had been poached, illegally tagged etc.

Sorry for your bad luck man!

Dan

9. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    sorry your not guilty until proven Innocent,

agents just dont go on walks on private property without a reason,they may have the authority but that is up to a judge if he was in reason at the time.

so no they have no right on my ground until given a reasonable dought ,or someone could call in a report a problem.
    if the need to check for bait they can get in the plane and do a fly over.

We all know a agent is going to wait until after the shot if he is going to arrest someone. he doesn't wait in the woods and watch you hunt from your stand and then save the deer you are going to shoot then check and see if you are violating any game laws.. i have never heard of a deer life saving program but i have heard of a poaching program.

10. GMMAT

GMMAT Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Let's use the example I gave earlier.

GW gets a "tip" that a hunter is hunting turkeys over bait. Probable cause to go onto private land (in NC). He's "good", so far.

How would he know the hunter was baiting turkeys (illegal in NC), if he didn't go to the site? In this instance, he doesn't need to wait for a kill. There's no season open which allows baiting, during spring turkey season. The mere presence of bait (with a hunter, near) is a violation. And, there's no way he would know the bait was there......if he confronted the hunter at his home/vehicle.

11. ultramax

Dislikes Received:

sorry did not see this info about a call in tip. in your scenario

(tip) and that is probable cause as in check and see if the (tip) is good or bad or valid in the case.
    this is a BIG difference.
    and if the tip does not confirm as legit it would seem that the (caller or tipper) should be held to the same standard as the offender in this case, fiction as it is. and given a ticket. just to keep everything fair.....

You wont see game agents just walking the woods without a (tip) from a call from someone, that is his leggin the deal. And he will wait to see who shows up to hunt this spot.he has a better case with a dead game animal in his hands.

he will also have to show his (tip) was legit. when he goes to court.:D:D

12. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I used to fish the Rappahanock River a ton growing up. One is not allowed to use gasoline motors on the river. However, I guess they allowed the Game Wardens to use gasoline engines. I used to walk a good bit through the woods to get to the good fishing. On more than one occasion I had Game Wardens drive their gas powered boats up into the area in which I was fishing and ask me for my fishing license. I am talking drove their dang boat not more than 10 yards from me in my honey holes. At first I accepted it, but then as the behavior continued years later I became a problem for them. I would question them as to why they would feel the need to drive right up on me and ruin my fishing. I told them to pull to the side of the river which is about 40 yards away and just holler at me and I would walk over. They would usually get rude with me but I did not care. I was 100% legal and cooperative as evidenced by providing my license immediately when asked. I just had to tell them what jackasses they were being towards me and others by driving that dang boat up on us.

13. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    I had one walk up on me while I was on stand, he just wanted to check my license, he did, I was cool and he went on his way! They can check you where ever and when ever they want.

14. BowSniper11

BowSniper11 Newb

Dislikes Received:

Same thing here about prohibiting gas engine on a lake. I went fishing on a boat in a lake which prohibits gas engines with a few friends of mine. When the storm approaches quickly, we had to bail. We realized that the storm was coming faster, we had to use gas engine to get back to the dock FAST. On our way back, there was lake patrol, NOT DNR, told us to stop using the gas engine. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!!! :mad: I don't really know about that. :confused: I saw the other boaters using gas engine like we go, but lake patrols also told them to stop.

Luckily, we got back there safely.

I guess there is a difference between Game Wardens and lake patrols.

Sorry for the long post.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  15. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    never seen one in the woods in 40 years of bowhunting, and i hunt a lot,

I have nothing to worry about ever,
    if someone bust up my good hunt in my honey hole they are getting a ass chewing period.
    It just does not happen here. maybe in your neck of the woods it is tolerated but not here.

how does it go.... absolute power?
    you may be told they have this power but a report has to be filed or complaint issued there is always paper work that leads the trail to your hunting site or your home.
    even the fbi or cia needs paperwork, warrant

No agent is entering your home without cause .
    just because someone you have heard of was bullied into believing this does not make it true.... The legal system has checks and balances so no ones rights are trampled on and the your constitutional rights are upheld...... oh ya thats why we can sue each other for those rights.

so if you stop and right down a truck plate number, and id it and it then it turn out to be this kind of harassment of your hunting time and money turns out to be a legal hunt should the person who made the complaint get a ticket right??

16. eastendhunter

eastendhunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    doublelung were you hunting on long island?

17. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:

I agree with this whole heartedly. I don't have a lot of time and enjoy every moment I spend in the woods. Why should it be ruined by the game warden? If I was doing something illegal and came in my truck, I would have to leave with the same truck.

For example, If someone poaches a deer for the meat or antlers or whatever thee reason, wouldn't they leave with some evidence? Therefore the warden can wait by the truck and still catch the person. I just don't think they should have absolute authority to ruin the few hours a week I get to enjoy in the outdoors.

18. BowHuntingFool

Dislikes Received:
    You'd better study up on the warrant and the game warden! Any way, I'm not too worried about some one doing their job nor am I going to give them an "ass chewing" for it... lol! The wardens around here are a very good source of info!

19. ultramax

Dislikes Received:
    I believe this agent seen a out of state plate and decided to pursue and or check the hunter period,she could have waited and not spoiled his hunt.

20. DoubleLung84

Dislikes Received:
    Wouldn't it have been easier for he to check the name on the vehicle registration?