My "Project" Farm

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Rory/MO, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    This farm is owned by my grandpa, and his half brother. It is 675 acres in east central MO, and as you can see below, is mostly woods. Me, my brother, and a couple buddies are really the only ones who bowhunt it (that we know of). There are gunhunters out there that really only go out opening weekend, and really worry about drinking more than hunting. I have turkey hunted it and fished it with my dad since I could walk, but this year was really the first year that we started deer hunting it. I love it because it's only a half hour from my house. We scouted some, and found some decent spots. This offseason we're gonna hit it really hard with scouting and planting. Turkey season will consist of chasing longbeards in the morning, with planting, scouting, and getting mineral sites set up in the afternoons. We only ran a trail cam for a couple months before the season in one spot this year (red X on topo just south of the northern field)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We didn't plant anything this year, but in the Spring here are some spots we are planning on getting some food plots in.

[​IMG]

Are you guys seeing anything looking at the topo/aerial?

We got a couple hundred pictures on the camera, but here are some of my favorites:

Wish we could have seen this guy more, only got this one picture of him. Nothing else.
    [​IMG]

How old do you think this guy is? I think 2 1/2. I hope he doesn't turn in to one of those monster 6's :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So far we've had a great year for it being our first year out there. My brother killed a button buck with his bow opening weekend of bow season, and a doe with a gun on the last day of regular gun season. A buddy killed a big doe in late October. I've passed up a couple does, and saw the biggest buck I've seen in a couple years chasing does one morning. All I needed was 20 more yards :D. Can't wait to see how the last couple weeks turn out for us, and I wonder what's in store for us next fall.

2. buckhunter1988

buckhunter1988 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    dude thats a real nice peice of property

3. ultramax

ultramax Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    looks like a good area, my ground is just a flip of yours all fields with little woods with lots of valleys and ditches,

ill be honest that much woods would take some footwork to narrow a good spot,i think i am spoiled.
    maybe after the season ends and you get a snow take your map with you and mark the trails and rubs you find on the map and maybe a larger picture will emerge. how large are the lakes....

i would walk around the lakes the ends are natural funnels for deer!

I am a few county's north of you.. sorry had too.:D

4. fatsbucknut

fatsbucknut Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I hope you realize how lucky you are! Good luck and i hope you whack a monster

5. Rory/MO

Rory/MO Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:

We're definitely gonna put in the footwork. Also found a lot of rubs already, can't wait to find more after the season. The biggest lake is 5 acres I think.
    And this is almost in the north half :D

6. Siman/OH

Siman/OH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Rory, that looks like an awesome piece of property, HUGE! With lakes, fields, everything.

Good luck with it.

7. DEERSLAYER

DEERSLAYER Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    It's hard to tell with out being on the ground, but lots of potential with a piece of land that size. Especially with all the woods. With good management you should be able to kill big boy's out there every year. The bucks in the pics look like 1.5 year olds to me.

8. lilweightlifter

lilweightlifter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    That is my dream land! Haha! I want to have 300+ acres someday...been saying that since I started hunting!

9. bloodcrick

bloodcrick Moderator/BHOD Prostaff

Dislikes Received:
    That looks like an excellent piece of property!! good deal and good luck with it ;)

10. Brandon8724

Brandon8724 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to own a peice of property that size some day. Good luck!

11. habitat

habitat Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    If you have some habitat ? check out qdma.com lots of know how there.great piece of ground

12. Focnr

Focnr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man that's cool! I'm loving to pictures!

13. mnbowhunter

mnbowhunter Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    WOW, awesome piece of property, Good luck with it!