The Orion Syndicate (#12) - 2020 & 2021 Champions

Discussion in '2022 Deer Contest' started by tynimiller, Aug 31, 2020.

1. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Well come on over then. You’re welcome anytime.

2. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Less than $300 for a permit is a steal....makes the $650 Iowa tag look really bad

3. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah, but Iowa has GIANTS.

Still, the Ozarks aren't too shabby.

Seriously, if you're interested the absolute best time to bow hunt here are the two weeks before gun season opens (that's the 13th of November this year). Gun season ends on the 23rd of November and the bucks are usually still moving good.

Here in Missouri bow season closes during the gun hunt. You can hunt with a bow during gun season if you want but you must have a gun tag to do so.

4. Team Haastyle

Team Haastyle Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Wow been some time since I have been on here. With being an aquatic biologist in Wisconsin we have to make hay when the sun is shining so been busting butt out the water managing lakes and ponds. With that said I had a very disappointing turkey season this year as I started down in Kansas hunting with an outfitter buddy where he only allows head shots. Needles to say my arrow did not hit the mark on a Rio and I just clipped him in the neck with no retrieval. Wisconsin then continued to whoop my butt as we had an aviary disease run through a good portion of our state which dramatically reduced the amount huntable birds. No turkey breasts on the smoker for me this year. However, teh good news is while I was down in Kansas my outfitter buddy made me aware of a 3,500 acre Kentucky lease that me and some friends jumped on. So now we have 3500 acres to learn which will be both a challenging but exciting adventure. Other than that I have been running cams with one of my 5 1/2 yr olds showing up on my northern wisconsin piece, but nothing on my SE Wisconsin piece. However this is pretty common given the bucks usually move off due to the deer flies being terrible up in my woods. Looking forward to hunting three different states this year (WI, KS, KY) so we shall see how the year goes! Hoping to get on here more to keep in touch with all of you.

5. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If my health gets better, freaking head cold for days, I'll be at one or both of my main properties for a quick camera check, battery refresh and hang a few more as well. Might tend to a few clover plots with some clethodim as well if my sprayer tank on the quad works (gotta get that cleaned up this evening/tomorrow).

While we seem to be losing multiple places to hunt, I am pushing down into a riverbottom that we have only ever hunted the top of and I believe it holds some serious promise...lose it in gun season but still.

Pops hasn't heard back from the lady on the land he was trying to buy....and if nothing by end of June he is going to see if the neighboring lady to my 23 acres would want to sell the southern 5 of her's that touches corner to corner with mine. It is the piece where the neighboring hunters line sit on my bedding and admitted to shooting out into the field no one but us even have walking permission on.

Will update as things progress on all those fronts.

LittleChief likes this.
  6. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Have been camping with my wife the last couple days. Caught me a little walleye in the lake yesterday morning and a few browns in the river this morning.

7. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    So,....

Wednesday I went to our hunting clubhouse at Wattensaw near Hazen, AR to spend some time with a couple of club members and then go to a 3D shoot at a friends house on Saturday. I took along the new bow and I also took my Heli-m to get a new string put on it.

After I got unloaded at the clubhouse I headed to Mack's Prairie Wings, dropped off the Heli-m and also had them tweak the peep that was rotating on my new V3.

Saturday at the shoot I shot three rounds. I finished dead last the first two rounds. I couldn't hold that bow steady to save my life. I don't know why but I was nervous. My friend said "You're dropping your bow on every shot." That, coupled with me being nervous resulted in me shooting terribly. At least I didn't miss any targets.

Before the third round started, I sat down, opened a beer and just relaxed. The third round started and I realized that it was stupid to feel pressure. I opened a second beer, took a sip, set it down and stepped up to the stake. My focus was much better. I wasn't nervous, and I concentrated on not dropping the bow. I ended up finishing second that round.

I came home on Sunday and got a big surprise. I got to put my Father's Day gift together. I've wanted one since I first saw them. I'll post a pic in a minute.

ash d likes this.
  8. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    IMG_2047.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cantexian, Oldcarp, ash d and 2 others like this.
  9. arrowflinger1

arrowflinger1 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief likes this.
  10. farmer rick

farmer rick Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Very nice Johnny! Hope you get them muddy and bloody a lot this season. :bow:

LittleChief likes this.
  11. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Awesome!

LittleChief likes this.
  12. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I spent most of this morning putting a Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL on the Heli-m and getting it sighted in.

Either I had the wrong tape on it before or I got it back a lot slower.

Oh well, it’s sighted in. After that I shot the V3 for about 30 minutes.

The Heli-m is so light it feels like a toy compared to the V3.

13. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    I've been looking at eletric bikes a ton last year or so, but just don't have the acreage to justify yet...someday I know I'll be adding one as well.

LittleChief likes this.
  14. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I’m really looking forward to using it in Kentucky and Arkansas where its use will be unrestricted.

Here in Mark Twain National Forest it’s legal use is more uncertain. It’ll still help with getting around more quietly and more scent free but I believe it can only be ridden where ATVs are allowed.

15. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    On another note, my 5 year old grandson Zach is here for a visit.

He was watching me shoot the new V3 yesterday morning. After a round of six arrows we were walking to the target.

He looked at me and said “Grandpa, you’re getting the hang of this.”

:lol:

cantexian, farmer rick and tynimiller like this.
  16. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    LittleChief we have the same thing here. Some trails you can use the Electric bike and on others you can’t.

I came across this guy two days ago. They are always fun to see.

Attached Files:

17. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve never seen a moose. One of these days I might if I’m lucky.

I guess I’d have to travel quite a ways north for that to happen though.

18. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Phew...it's been a while fellas!
    Well, I'm almost ready to start thinking about hunting, it's been a very busy off-season at the homestead. I believe I have all the big projects for 2021 done, hopefully I can be done building crap for the year. I am heading to Connecticut for 2 weeks to visit my family and destroy some fresh seafood. After vacation, I really need to get some cameras out, trim some stand sites, etc...and shoot my bow, a lot.
    I was going to replace the Helim with a newer bow, but I've not gotten around to anything bow related since last December. I am going back to a multi-pin sight, the HHA is nice, but it's a pain in the ass if I want to change anything on my setup and go through the zero process. Anyone have a good multi-pin they recommend?

Actually, I'll leave it at that, I'll be on vacation and I'm not thinking about anything until I get back. So, I'll see you guys in two weeks ready to start getting ready to defend the title.

farmer rick, ash d and LittleChief like this.
  19. LittleChief

Dislikes Received:
    Good to hear from you.

I got the new bow all set up and I’m shooting good with it, but the jury is still out on which bow I’ll hunt with.

I got the new string on the Heli-m settled in and I’m shooting better than ever with it.

I will probably hunt with the V3 until it gets cold. When it’s really cold the 60# draw on the Heli-m will probably come in handy.

Also, I’m still not sure how a 31” axle to axle bow with big cams is going to work hunting out of a Summit Viper.

S.McArthur likes this.
  20. tynimiller

Dislikes Received:
    Quick update here fellas. I hate human intrusion on my 22 but had storms rolling through Saturday so went quick for a trip for three main reasons:

#1 - Main reason was we no till/broadcast a bunch of buckwheat with some cereal grains and crimson clover in fall plots this spring and was needing to know what they looked like and if mowing, spraying or both was gonna be needed soon. Only a visit would tell me this.

#2 - Massive storms pulled through the night prior and this would tell me if I needed chainsaw or trimmers as well when we come out.

#3 - Few cameras will be on edges to accomplish first two so might as well check.

*Cameras showed my oldest and biggest bodied buck is still alive and well and even before July is sporting 8 inches or more brows. May finally get a chance at this bloke this year.

I'd touched on Pops and I's attempts to buy some flooded riverbottom property....the owner has never called us back after meeting so who knows where that is. I told Pops to call this next week and if nothing there is a 5 acre piece by my 22 we may pursue instead.