Two Public Land Archery Birds - Black Hills - All Self Filmed

Discussion in 'Videography & Photography' started by DEC, May 21, 2021.

1. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    An edit of a little trip that I took a couple of weeks ago to the Black Hills in South Dakota to chase public land turkeys with my bow.

Thanks for watching. :beer:

Justin Goins and oldnotdead like this.
  2. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Excellent video as always. I don't know how you carry all that gear as 1 person. I'm frustrated as I cant anymore with all my injuries. Still tryin though. Multiple camera angles, batteries, motorized decoys, the blind, a chair, the bow. Brotha your as good or better than many commercial hunting shows on tv. Whats it take an hr. setup for all that gear? Run-in 3 go pro's plus the main camera? Are you operating them thru the GoPro app or just letting them run? I see a lav mic for the self interview. Thought you were gonna do a review of the Rode wireless go for us. 1 week after I bought mine they came out with the 2 transmitter model. little disappointed there. Were you using the rode with a plugin lav? I used the Rode Go for a Florida pig hunt which I have yet to edit.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    DEC likes this.
  3. DEC

DEC Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks man. I really apricate it and value your input.

I'll try to break it down a bit ... LOL.

1) Carrying gear. Yes it can be brutal ... LOL. I keep threatening to weigh it all, but if I had to guess ... 50 pounds or more in and out every hunt. I will admit that it was killing me in years past. However in February my wife and I decided to change out lives and it began with how we eat. Through just eating healthier, I have dropped 52 pounds to date, she has dropped 43 pounds. That alone was a game changer for me this past turkey season. The hills did not wear me down. Yes, packing that gear in is a lot and I'd lie if I said I didn't stop on occasion to catch my breath, but it made life running all of that gear very manageable.

As to how I pack it all in, an old Magnus Rack Pack, which sadly we don't make anymore. I have two of them and will never part with them. They allow me to carry the heavy gear (blind, tripod, chairs, and decoys) easily. The camera gear goes into one surprisingly small camera bag (I did a video on it in 2020) and while my cameras have changed, the process has not. Then my bow in my other hand. That is it. I have narrowed it down to actually a very efficient system.

2) As to setting up cameras. Actually it is fast. Again, I have done it for a long time so I have it very efficient. GoPros or action cams in general are fast to setup if you are prepared. Three action cams, each with a specific purpose going into the hunt. So each camera is pre-set for its job. Already on the base needed for the job and video settings already set for that situation (for example the one in the blind runs at different settings than the two out in the decoys, simply due to lighting. The external batteries already have the proper usb cord for the camera. The action cameras are ran on a continuous 20 minute loop and record the entire time I am hunting, so I do not use the phone app for anything. I covered a lot of this in a how to video that I uploaded in January. It is all very efficient.

So then it is just setting up the main camera gear, which again is efficient and I have been doing it for so long that it literally takes about 2 minutes.

As to how long to set up EVERYTHING. Packing in, in the dark. From the time I get to the spot where I want to setup, I can generally get the blind up, decoys set, action cameras set, main camera gear set up, bow ready, and all of the little odds and ends ... all in about 15 minutes and generally making little to no noise. All with zero lights, except occasionally clicking on my dim green headlamp for a few seconds here and there just to see a where to plug in a cable or something small. Again ... I've been doing it a long time and have a pretty efficient system where I know where everything is in the dark and how to handle it to make little to any noise.

3) Rode Wireless Go. I am sorry, I fully planned to do a video. Life and other projects just got in the way for me. But I did do some testing which you had asked about. In sub-freezing conditions, I got 5 1/2 hours of continuous battery life out of the two halves of the setup. In room temperature conditions I got about 6 hours.

As to the new model that allows two transmitters, I have not played with it yet. I mostly self film so I really don't have a need for two transmitters. That may change in the future as I tend to make sudden gear purchase decisions for little to no reason ... LOL.

Yes in that video, in both cases when I was holding the turkey recapping the hunt I was using the Rode Wireless Go. When hunting, I was using my digital Sony mic that attaches directly to the top of my Sony a7Siii with no cables (a slick setup). I generally love the Rode Wireless Go and use it on a lot of my review and how to videos that I upload. The new wireless Sony shotgun mic I am still learning the ins and outs of, as there is a very high frequency digital hiss that I have yet to pinpoint where it is coming from.

4) I have made some additional gear changes since seasons wrapped up and I plan on doing a large camera gear video this summer before deer seasons get here where I address my current gear, why I chose that gear, why I moved on from other gear, and how I will utilize it all for deer hunting this fall.

If you have other specific questions please let me know. I obsess about this stuff and just want to make the best productions possible within the limits of my wallet. I have plans for some film specific projects this year that I hope my wife will not kill me for investing in the tools needed to chase those dreams ... LOL.

Again, thanks so much for watching and the kind words!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  4. drslyr

drslyr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Im using a rode shotgun mic which to be honest i dont really like. I pickup a strange buzz in and off in the videos sometimes. I think it might be the camera though because ive watched other vids by other people with the audio buzzing exactly the same as mine . I’m filming with cannons… the vixia line …. G20 and now hfg30. I’m in about as deep as i think i wanna go. After a week of seeing nothing it gets mighty hard to be motivated to carry all that stuff. Usually about 3 weeks in i give up and just hunt. I dont have the motivation you have and applaud you for it. Unfortunately for me i got into it as an older broken down bowhunter and just dont have the strength or stamina…… broken neck 5 fused vertebrae and a heart attack to go with it. Keep up the great work….. love your stuff!!!!

DEC likes this.