Do's & Don'ts: starting over at the pro shop

Discussion in 'Intro to Bowhunting & Archery' started by BlackHelicopter, May 21, 2021.

1. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    When you get the foldback index release here's something I do that works well for me when an encounter catches me "not ready".
    With the bow in one hand it would be a lot of movement to flip the release back forward after getting an arrow nocked. Rather than using your other hand, you can just stick the end of the caliper head against your side, apply some pressure to it until it is firmly jabbed into your side, and then just move your whole arm backwards so that the release arm gets snapped back to the forward position. There have been a few times that being able to move it into position one handed has been convenient during an encounter.

2. MONGO

MONGO Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:

Attached Files:

3. LittleChief

LittleChief Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    As far as releases go, you won't be disappointed with a Tru-Fire Hardcore. I bought one years ago and I still love it. If it dies one day I'll buy another one.

You're right when you say that not everyone is a fan of heavy, high FOC arrows, but that's what I've always shot and it WORKS! You lose some speed, but in my humble opinion what you gain heavily (no pun intended) outweighs the speed you lose. Your bow is quieter on the shot. You have a lot more momentum to punch through the animal. You generally have an increase in kinetic energy as long as you don't go so heavy as to pass the point of diminishing return.

I shoot a 530 grain arrow out of my 60# Mathews Heli-m. I could go heavier but I'm not hunting Cape Buffalo.

I shoot a 450 grain arrow out of my 65# Mathews V3.

If you want to shoot a 650 grain arrow tipped with a single bevel broadhead then do that. That bow will be whisper quiet when you shoot it and while your arrow might not be blazing fast, it would probably kill an elephant.

Mod-it likes this.