Climbing sticks

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Jaberry, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I was wondering if anyone else uses the buckleless strap method on their climbing sticks? Im looking at polypropylene webbing in a roll to buy and make my own straps. Any thoughts on it? Breaking limit is 900lbs, it is water resistant and rot resistant. I do and enjoy the straps. I feel more secure using them instead of the rope mods. Just they are only 6ft long. im limited on diameter of trees I can go up this way i won't be. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Look into daisy chain mod and rope mod. You can buy em made or make your own. Use Amsteel

cantexian and Jaberry like this.
  3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Suncrest08 and Jaberry like this.
  4. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used this method last year but sucked cause the straps are only 6ft long. Don't like rope to use. So I figured buy a spool of the strap and make 9ft sections.

5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use an amsteel rope mod on my Hawk Heliums. I started with a 10 foot length, spliced a hole to fit over the button and then spliced the other end into itself to give it added weight throwing it around a tree. I have about an 8 1/2 foot rope after the splicing.

Jaberry likes this.
  6. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure if this will help you but you can buy longer straps for the lone wolf sticks. I bought some off amazon a couple years ago. I think I bought the 10' version but they had even longer ones available.

Jaberry likes this.
  7. Jaberry

Jaberry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I didnt see anything like that. Did you search for lone wolf straps or was it under something else if you recall? Thanks

8. chris0827

chris0827 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I hunt public land and I’m tearing down my set every night. I always liked the buckles because I thought they were “safe” and proven, but I’ve been trying to cut weight and noise and increase speed of setup so I bought a set of woven daisy chains for my sticks. I thought I’d like them because they were theoretically lighter, quieter and faster. They worked great except the loops weren’t quite big enough to hang the sticks quickly.

So I ordered some 7/64 Amstel and made myself a set of daisy chains:
    * It was stupid-simple to make them (a little tedious though- it took 2 evenings while watching TV to make 4)
    * They work great (quiet, light and fast). 4 daisy chains weigh less than 1 strap & buckle.
    * They are super compact to store/stow on the stick
    * They are cheap (I think I put MAYBE $30-$40 into the materials)
    * They are basically foolproof- the strength of the amsteel is more than you’ll ever be able to exert on it. Since they are spliced there is no stitching or knots to fail...

If you just want to buy premade amsteel daisy chains there are places online that sell them, but they are so simple to make I could never recommend it... Checkout some YouTube vids on making them first- it costs nothing... I honestly don’t understand why anyone would use anything else after trying these things!

9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I use 8mm climbers accessory rope on my LW sticks ...

20171010_123711.jpg

10. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went into my Amazon history to get more details and it says they are unavailable at this time.