Did something stupid……need help

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by atlasman, Jun 7, 2021.

1. atlasman

atlasman Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    OK so I guess we GREATLY underestimated the toll not rotating our crops would take. We figured because we were planting a wide variety of stuff like clover, chickory, oats, peas, that it would offset the constant planting of brassicas.

We were VERY wrong…….we have planted some sort of brassica mix for at least 8 years now and last year pretty much NOTHING grew.

we have new ground broke in two areas that we can plant brassicas in this year so not a total loss but what do we do with the other plots?

What WILL grow?

What SHOULD we plant to help repair soil?

Does a micro nutrient supplement exist to help repair soil?

Thanks in advance for any help guys

2. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Crimson Clover

3. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Fulvic acid followed by a granular fertilizer tilled in should do the trick, just plant a root crop like radish and turnip mixed in with wheat or cereal rye.

http://www.ez-gro.com/product/fulvic-acid-0-0-3-70/

Turn it under in the spring and follow with a clover planting and it should last a couple years.

4. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you do go the route of a nitrogen fixing plant, like clover/peas/beans, you may want to look also inoculate with rhizombium bacteria...

Our soil is a horrible clay, so I'll get benefit from just about anything even plowing under winter wheat.

County ag depts usually have all kinds of help / tests.

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
  6. atlasman

Dislikes Received:
    That’s our latest test…….guys at the Ag dept basically just told us to boost our fert up to triple 19. In all fairness though we didn’t tell them our mistake as we didn’t realize it fully at the time

7. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well you won't have any problems with nematodes for awhile. At least you have that going forvya.

8. buckeyehntr5

buckeyehntr5 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I'd plant a mix of winter rye, oats and clover (80#/100#/10# per acre) late August early September. The cereal with help build organic matter and clover will help build nitrogen. In the spring when the rye goes to seed, mow down and you should have great clover plot to feed through the summer. Then you can leave clover going for the year or till in to follow up with a brassica planting.

9. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Am I missing the nitrogen level on that analysis? I'm just not seeing it? You could do a summer planting buckwheat with a mix of an u a l clover (plow down) . Til in in Sept and plant a grain withdrawn over seed of good whit,critical, small between then mow the grain in the spring allowing the rest to grow.