Beginners Setup

Discussion in 'Bowfishing' started by bigcountry, May 24, 2021.

1. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What would you consider a good beginners setup?

I have went out twice with outfitters, and they supplied cajun bows.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would say anything you can afford. When you own a rig and can adapt it to yourself you will be "streets ahead" then borrowing a bow.
    I honestly have never even heard of someone using a rig from a outfitter. But hey if you did it and enjoyed it then you def need to get your own.

When getting a new rig don't take advise from anyone. Shoot everything you can and pick the best one you can afford.
    Once you get your bow, come back and we can assist in all the other stuff.

3. bigcountry

bigcountry Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Have used my recurves I have made. But get pretty tired after shooting dozens of times with 50lb selfbow.

Let me rephrase the question. Is there any huge notable differences between Cajun, AMS, Muzzy or even PSE?

4. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I looked into those bows and I have a question for you. Are you looking for and speaking of recurve or compound?
    My daughter has a PSE and it's been very dependable(compound) as for the others I'm sorry I have no info.

Give us your intentions, budget and expectations and we can try harder to assist

5. liorahearon

liorahearon Newb

Dislikes Received:
    For a beginner interested in archery, there are several factors to consider when putting together a starter setup. Here are some general recommendations:

1. Bow: For a beginner, a compound bow or a recurve bow with a lower draw weight is a good place to start. A bow with a draw weight of 20-30 pounds is generally suitable for most beginners. Some popular options for beginner bows include the Genesis Original compound bow or the Samick Sage recurve bow.

2. Arrows: Choosing the right arrows is important for accuracy and safety. You'll want arrows that are the correct length and have the appropriate spine (flexibility) for your bow and draw weight. Your local archery shop can help you select the right arrows for your setup.

3. Sight: A simple, fixed pin sight can be helpful for beginners to learn proper aiming techniques. You can start with a basic sight like the Trophy Ridge Joker or the TruGlo Carbon XS.

4. Rest: An arrow rest is necessary to hold the arrow in place on the bow. A basic rest like the Whisker Biscuit or the QAD UltraRest can work well for beginners.

5. Release aid: Using a release aid can improve accuracy and consistency. A basic wrist strap release like the TruFire Hardcore 4 Finger Release can be a good starting point.

6. Target: A basic foam target like the Morrell Yellow Jacket YJ-350 Field Point Bag Target can work well for beginners practicing at close distances.