Mission bow?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Rick12887, May 12, 2021.

1. Rick12887

Rick12887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Been looking for a new (to me) bow and came across what seems to be a good deal on a Mission bow. Is Mission made by Mathews? It's a Mission Ballistic and set up just right for me (27" DL, 65#) so I'm eager to jump on it.

Thanks for any help with this.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Yep - Mission is made by Mathews. That Ballistic is a very nice little bow. If I recall, it uses the same AVS cam system that was used on the original Halon series bows.

dnoodles likes this.
  3. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've owned a Mission Venture since they first came out and love it. If I had one issue that I never had with my Hoyt it's a problem with the camo not being as " sturdy". That said the bows some years old now and things change.

4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I still have a 2012 Mission Ballistic as my backup bow and it is still a pretty badass shooter. I have probably sent over 5,000 arrows downrange with that thing and it's taken several deer and an elk for me. Only work I ever had done on it was replaced the string when it was 2 years old. I call it my backup bow but I take it out several times every season, especially if I know I am going to be walking far as it is very lightweight compared to my new Bowtech.

My only, and I mean only complaint on the Mission is it's got a bit of a jumpy back wall as all Mathews do (or did from that era.) It really wants to shoot once you come to full draw. Other than that it's a great shooter. Smooth, fast, quiet, and dead in the hand. Like zero vibration. Easily the most accurate bow I have every shot.

What is a "good deal"? Ballistics were only $400 brand new bare bow, so I hope this guy isn't trying to sell it for anything over $250. It's a 10 year old bow at this point.

You're the expert, so maybe the Halon used same cams as well, but the Ballistic and the Monster Chill used the same cams for sure. My cousin's got a Chill from the same year and they have identical cams. His is a bit faster as he has a shorter DL and uses rock mods with same draw weight; but not $600 faster.

Good article on the Chill with/without rock-mods here

https://www.bowhunter.com/editorial/mathews-chills-and-rock-mods/183113

which has got me wondering....can I put rock mods on my Mission Ballistic? Hmmm...if I can I would sell my Bowtech in a heartbeat as a squish back wall is my only complaint on it.

oldnotdead likes this.
  5. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    You could be right - they may be the Chill cams and not the Halon. They're all AVS cams so they essentially work the same, they just have different designs. It's hard to keep it all straight in my head anymore. I think the Halon may have been the first iteration of the Crosscentric cam system.

Mission bows usually feature Mathews flagship technology a few years after it's been released. So it would make sense that the Ballistic had the Chill cams on it.

I'll look around and see if I have a set of Rock Mods somewhere. I know I had a couple of sets at one point in time. My bro-in-law is still shooting my original Chill and kills stuff with it every year. It's a great bow.

dnoodles likes this.
  6. tynimiller

tynimiller Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Shot a venture for years and almost bought their MXR, which in my opinion is the BEST BOW FOR THE ABSOLUTE LEAST MONEY BRAND NEW - zero business at the MRSP that thing carries.

Wouldn't hesitate to own, shoot and harvest away with a Mission - not for a minute.

dnoodles and oldnotdead like this.
  7. Rick12887

Rick12887 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks, everybody, for all the great feedback. I grabbed that bow and can't wait to put some arrows downrange. If it's as good as I anticipate it'll be my primary hunting choice.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

dnoodles and oldnotdead like this.
  8. rknierim

rknierim Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Weren't they the cams from the Monster the year before? I still shoot my Ballistic. Or I did until I realized it's in dire need of a new string. Got a Mission Sub-1 now. That thing is so sweet!! Still love that Ballistic tho