Barometric pressure

Discussion in 'Whitetail Deer Hunting' started by Fix, May 4, 2021.

1. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wanted to correlate some data but need assistance. Can anyone explain BP to me and the driving force behind it in regards to deer movement?

2. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It has been my experience when the pressure is at 30 or above the hunting is best. And that is all I claim to know about it or the excuse I use to skip out on a multitude of responsibilities and go get on the stand. "Sorry, wish I could do that but the barometric pressure is rising and I'm heading out to the stand." Click.

3. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Guys in Pa say the turkeys gobble more on days with bp of 29-30.... no idea why....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnotdead likes this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    BAROMETRIC PRESSURE equals a change in weather, animals key into this just like humans can. I Believe it effects animals more in the northern states. In especially fall and spring when temperature changes are a bit more extreme. I can only assume in midwest and southern states it keys into the severe rain systems they have spring and fall.
    So movement based on region may happen with rises and drops in atmospheric pressure. Maybe for feed more in one area and shelter in other parts of the country
    All that said scientific studies say little effect happens. Where years of Hunter observations across the country say different.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  5. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I quite the BP nonsense.
    Every single time I think I have weather patterns figgered out (which I have many times), a year later, it gets shot to chit.
    I do know there is some correlation between the moon,bp,sunny,cloudy,temps but have never found things consistent enuff to wait for the "right " conditions.

oldnotdead likes this.
  6. cls74

cls74 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I think this would explain the theory best. I buy into the high pressure especially on cold and calm mornings. The closer you are to the center of the pressure the calmer the winds will be, with High Pressure they are being pushed outwards, whereas with Low Pressure they are being drawn inwards. Either system it is best to be in the center rather than the outskirts as wind speeds will pick up the further out you get. Just have to remember that with each pressure system, there is a rotational element to them either CW or CCW as you get further from center. That's why you want the High Pressure overhead or on the rise pushing scent outward rather than a Low Pressure drawing things inward. You're talking about a 100 mile or more center of pressure in either case, so it is not just focused over one tree :lol:

upload_2021-5-6_19-29-30.png

cantexian and Fix like this.
  7. Brett Smith

Brett Smith Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have been logging daily deer activity since March & have found more deer move when the BP is at least 29.80 but less than 30.25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnotdead and Fix like this.
  8. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks guys(and old) what do you all use for apps?

9. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    My watch or the Windy app...

Fix likes this.
  10. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    High pressure days generally equal better weather, which usually means more hunters in the woods, which translates into more deer sightings. Since I have become a predominantly public land hunter in the last few years I have noticed more deer movement on overcast days, especially if there is a light rain. That tends to keep people out of the woods and I see more deer those days along as the wind speed is not making tree shaking gusts. If I am hunting, I prefer that type of weather, especially if it coincides with late October through November and the major movement periods both fall during daylight hours.

Last edited: May 27, 2021
    Uchase2 likes this.