Fishing thread.

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Sota, Dec 28, 2019.

1. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A pair of 14" largemouths would beat my best day of bass fishing. Although, I don't really enjoy bass fishing, probably because I suck at it. The show concept sounds very relatable.

Sota likes this.
  2. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    Speaking of bass fishing, can someone explain to me why bass guys are flying around lakes in $40K boats with 200hp engines just to fish the same 5 feet of water, 20 feet from shore that I am fishing from the bank?

airenlow and dnoodles like this.
  3. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Good point! In 2018 Ranger broke the 100K price tag for a 21' with a 250. There are a lot 70K+ boats out there now. I have been looking for a long time, but just can't make myself pull the trigger on something that crazy when I am catching fish already out of a $7,000 boat with a 60hp. lol

cantexian, Bone Head Hunter and Sota like this.
  4. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    There is no better boat than a boat you make zero payments on.

Okiebob, cantexian and fletch920 like this.
  5. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Best boat is every one I don't own.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Okiebob likes this.
  6. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love boats my favorite thing to drive.

7. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've caught many 7+ lb walleyes out of 2 old 14 ft boats while having 30,000$ ones close by.
    :poke:

My brother finally bought his dream boat last year. He fishes the chit out of Lake Sackawea nd. Has for 30 years(like every weekend).
    Expensive n fancy.
    First time ever he never caught a limit to bring home all summer:lmao2:

I've fished with him many times with my same OLD Ugly Stick and whoop his ass while he uses his super_duper $ custom built rods.:woot:

8. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been out three times the past few weeks with my little guy. He’s pretty obsessed with all things fishing right now and it’s a ton of fun watching him learn it all. It’s his first year with a baitcaster and after lots of work in the yard practicing we’ve only had one backlash while fishing so far.

We whacked them pretty good yesterday evening on one of the local lakes. Lots of fish up shallow cruising but super spooky. Ended up catching about 20 bass and he caught a nice little pike too. Felt great to catch some and air the boat out a bit.

E287EF37-C530-49BC-B60F-543DD77A4DC9.jpeg

Okiebob, fletch920, cantexian and 4 others like this.
  9. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I believe the whole concept of high hp engines is so when they are tournament fishing they waste as little time as possible going from spot to spot, so they increase actual fishing time.
    Plus, who doesn't love high hp and going fast as sh*t?

Okiebob, Justin, GregH and 1 other person like this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I like a nice boat but you will never see me in what I call a Whore boat. A whore boat is one of those sparkly ranger style boats covered in stickers. Also if you are not sponsored fishing in a tournament take off the stupid shirt it reeks of desperation.

11. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I wish you would just let us know what you are thinking. :evilgrin:

Sota likes this.
  12. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I agree about a love for high HP and going fast. It just seems silly when they go fish spots that are easily accessible from the bank and end up casting to the same fish I am trying to catch.

13. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    To be honest I have caught more fish from the banks of the Mississippi than I ever did from a boat in the river.

cantexian likes this.
  14. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Oh man, that rings very true here steelhead and salmon fishing.
    I do a lot of bobber and jig fishing from the bank. You go out to a spot, rig up and make drifts. There are always boats cruising by trolling with plugs for them, always out further than I intend to fish. Huge river, probably 200 yards across at my favorite spot. Fishing is good for about a 200 yard stretch along the bank on the side I fish, so I set up where I won't bother any boats that are fishing nearby. They have the whole river easily accessible to them and I only need to claim my small drift spot from the bank. I cast anywhere up to about 35 yards out and drift about a 50-60 yard range.
    But then I hook a fish. By the time I land it, release, and rig back up there will often be at least one ***hole that has decided to troll right through my little spot 25 yards off the bank since they saw me catch a fish.
    I cast back out as close as I can to the side of their boat. Bonus if it splashes them.
    Only one single time have I had one get mouthy after I thumped my bobber off the side of their boat. Once I pointed out that they were the DB's...and that there were lots of good throwing rocks near me and I'm blessed with a good throwing arm...did they finally move off.
    There are spots on the river that are commonly referred to as "combat fishing", some people lose their freaking mind when it comes to catching steelhead and especially salmon.

dnoodles and Sota like this.
  15. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Around here, 99.9% of the shoreline is taken up by private property owners and lavish lake homes. The only fishing from the shore you're doing is "maybe" from the boat launch while you're waiting for your buddy to park the truck.

If you're a shore fisherman in these parts, you're stuck fishing retention ponds in neighborhoods for the most part.

Sota likes this.
  16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    only bank fishing I have done is on streams and rivers.

17. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Even the rivers around here have very limited access for shore fishing. You can hit up one of the local parks and toss a line in with about 20 other guys at any given time during the summer. Maybe snag a few catfish or a carp if you're lucky.

Sota likes this.
  18. Rick James

Rick James Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    So much hate for bass boats here. :lol:

As Zarr said there aren’t a lot of places to fish around here where you can get away from the crowd without a boat and have a chance to actually catch some fish. Even if you have a boat it’s really hard to get away from people around here. After Memorial Day, if you’re not at the boat ramp by 5:30 AM you can’t even find a spot to park the trailer.

If you have access to big water a bigger boat is really nice. So much safer in rough water and the ability to run long distances is great. I fished out of a 20+ year old 18’ boat for years and I loved it and caught a lot of fish.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  19. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I love fast boats. I used to own a couple back in my days of water skiing and bare footing. For fishing, I went on my dad's or brother's boat.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I have no problem with people having a boat. I will own one some day. My thinking, it that those type of boats are unnecessary just to catch fish in most lakes. If I were to drop half a mortgage on a boat, I am buying something for the ocean and going after bigger fish than bass. But, that is just me. I grew up catching 20+ pound salmon in British Columbia. I would rather invest in a boat that could do that or fish the Gulf of Mexico. That style of fishing is more appealing to me than chasing bass.

Okiebob likes this.