Recurve twisted

Discussion in 'Traditional Archery' started by Jeffy, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Jeffy

Jeffy Newb

Dislikes Received:
    My new (a year old) cheap recurve seems to be twisted. With shooting it straightens out a little bit but never perfect. Should I get rid of it and dump some money into a higher quality recurve or is there a simple fix? It's an OMP. My practice hasn't been going very good. As soon as I get beyond 15 yards I have at least 1 out of 3 arrows miss the target 324293741.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T720 using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

2. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    hello: I have been buying many old vintage bows, almost all of them came in almost good aligment, but a few with twists..one of them was a super necedah, each limb twisted as a propeller. i used a very simple procedure, compeltely safe for the bow. the fist stage left it almost perfect, after a while it took a little of twiust again. then, repeated the process a second time and from then on...the bow is straight and shooting amazingly, it is my favorite now.
    How i did it. I use 2 press to hold tigh the riser to a table bench..laying on one of its sides. then, for the limb´s tip that was pointing up I used a 3rd. press to pull it down until touching the table.
    with the limb pointing down 8 almost touching the table, i placed piced of wood until i rised its tip to 5 or 6 cms. ? a 2.5 inches... then i applied heat using a hot air gun used for airppane models ( is the same as the hot air gun for removing paint but with less power...you cao used either of them, just taking care to be touching the limbs. you have to warm them little by little blowing from tip to riser and back for both sides ...the limbs starts to get temperature and once you fell it is hot enogut as to be untouchable...just let them alone ...the first I left them for a whole day...as later it showed a little of remianing twist, i did the same and went out for eastern holidays. 2 days. but this time the press and the wood blocks were a little less , since I already removed the most of the twist..
    when came back i couldnt wait to remove it for the table and string it...it was perfect starigt.
    Hope this can help, i hace did this on 5 bows now, with more or less twist degrees and always worked fine.

p.d. When using the press to hold the riser, i put under and top of the riser some cloth to avoid any wood damage.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  3. frankmcd

frankmcd Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Contact company and return. It shouldn’t have happened so soon. However make sure you aren’t stringing it with the step through method, that can help this happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:

Hi: the bow i am telling you was made 1973 or before, so its tiwst is because poor storage or something like that, i received it just 2 weeks ago and i already fixed it. I am using a stringer, a thick strip of nylon material wich attach to one tip and to the other limb so you can place the string without any twisting effect on the limbs. Have to be always care of that...and after placing the string i always rise each tip at eye level and check if the tips are twisted or not...also have to be carefull that the string sits perfetly and centered, that can cause a severe twist too. .
    I am glad the company reacts positively with you and accetp the bow back. . .
    regards.