Live from Land Management Thread!

Discussion in 'Food Plots & Habitat Improvement' started by entropyfx, Apr 8, 2021.

1. entropyfx

entropyfx Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Like Live from the stand but for land projects!

What are you working on today? Habitat? Food plots? Hanging stands? Hinge cutting?

Let us know what you are working on!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

2. Wop 75

Wop 75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Moving stands clearing shooting lane's. Getting equipment ready for food plot work.

entropyfx likes this.
  3. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    My yearly plan evoles day by day.
    Every year I think I have things dialed in but there is always a glitch the next.
    I wish I was young and more fit to become a "Bruh"

I had way better luck with big bucks 20 years ago then I do now.
    Couldn't kill em, but seen em

oldnotdead, entropyfx and Wop 75 like this.
  4. oldnotdead

oldnotdead Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Today I went to the "gypsy blind" area and started filling the koi I pond water hole I put in the other day. All water holes are above ground and braced and or surrounded by stacked life's [Wood]and brush to blind [blend]in. Then I raked rocks off part of the plot trail I made there. I cranked some left over pasture seed on that section. I also over seeded a hill trail plot I put the same seed on last week. This area is having a hard time growing well so the pasture seed is a soil builder/ erosion hope. It have[has]a bunch of different clovers in it as well as scorched [orchard ] grass and Timothy. What takes takes,we'll see. I have two boulders to remove and then will prep for a late summer brassica / rye. There were turkey on the sloped trail plot from last week,thus the over seeding.

Words in brackets are the words I actually typed, I need a lap top....

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    entropyfx, arrowflinger1 and Wop 75 like this.
  5. Wop 75

Wop 75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got my disking done going to seed down with a clover /chicory mix tomorrow morning.

6. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Had fun today.

Planted some apple, crabapple and persimmon trees today!

Got the kids out, turned it into a picnic! Pulled a bunch of fence. Planted trees. Sprayed some areas for food plots. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Wop 75

Wop 75 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Want to plant some Baracade screen cover. The package says to start planting in my area in 2 weeks. I want to plant it today since I have the drill ready to go. Wondering what anyone thinks should I plant it or wait? Thanks in advance.

entropyfx likes this.
  8. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So just got the call, my wild life sorghum and soybeans are in. I'll drive down and pick them up later in the week. That gives me 100#'s of soybean, 50 #'s of Cowper, 50#'s of sorghum.. I'll be doing a germination test on some feed corn I have planted over the years. Then I'll be planting at the end of May. Hope to tag out on Turkey early so I can spray down the plots for planting. I also need to cut some trees..this winter really messed me up on cutting. First year we had snow too deep all winter to work. Now I'm fighting rain and high winds. I COULD NEVER BE A REAL FARMER.

9. greatwhitehunter3

greatwhitehunter3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    :biggrin:

Having crop insurance takes a little bit of the worry away but it's still dang stressful!

entropyfx and oldnotdead like this.
  10. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    I got 3 boulders winched out today. That Gator winch is a best friend...Lol. took filling 8, 5 gal. Buckets to fill the holes. A tad too wet to get the loader out there. Took out more water to fill Koi pond water hole, it didn't take long for the critters to find and use it.
    I have to laugh AJ is a great helper. The winch hook has a red nylon tab. I need good tension on line to rewind. AJ loves tug and he's strong as a bull. He grabbed the tag on command and fought my rewinding the line like a trooper. Even shaking it back and forth so it would be evenly wound. I wish I'd carried my phone.

11. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So checked the areas I did trial seeding early. The two hay mix.. and a small bag of seed that was an unknown mix I found. The hay mix ...nothing of note. I thought the annual and perennial clovers would have started but not seeing it. Now I had cleared off and raked rocks out of a tiny mid woods plot started 2 yrs ago. It was never tilled up, just raked off and lime raked in. It really hasn't grown much due to shade. Rye and clover died. Well apparently that unknown seed had some brassica in it and that is sprouting great. Even if the growth is stunted or short term it will give the turkeys something's to pick at and be drawn to until the end of May. That was a nice surprise. With all the rain coming those clover seeds may still sprout. Thinking grasses won't sprout after the cold and snow?

12. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Well, dug in 500 giant myscanthus rhizomes by hand with the help of my wife and son. Next time I'm gonna find a plow, lol. Screen loops down in for my blind, path in between to be screened on both sides to try and allow cleaner entrances and exits. Should work out pretty good. Lotta work. I need a cold beer. [​IMG]

slickbilly-d and oldnotdead like this.
  13. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Job well done!

Who did you choose as a supplier and were they in good shape and size?

14. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Went with Real world giant myscanthus.

Ordered 500, I would say there was easily 110 or so in each of the 5 bags. Shipped on the date they said they would. Healthy looking rhizomes, varied from 2 inches long to about 7, some larger clumps, some smaller. Seemed like quality, but I guess the proof will be in the pudding. I did not plant them as thick as they recommended because I am a cheap ass, so we'll see how the screen looks. My goal is to have a nice path down the middle. Will post a fu when they are grown up a bit.

Next up is planting beans.

oldnotdead likes this.
  15. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Well, sprayed my bottom food plot today, it had burned off this fall and then I had the part that didn't burn mowed. Will be part clover and part brassica. Got it done a few hours before the rain, which my grass I planted and trees will love. [​IMG]

GregH, arrowflinger1 and oldnotdead like this.
  16. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks , now I asked because ,if I recall, they are one of the few that require a no sell proprietary contract.
    If I were to grow I'd want the freedom to sell ribosomes at some date down the road. NOT growing as close is smart. If some were only 2" big taking cuts from you bigger plants next spring of that size should be do able to fill in gaps as you go. Good luck with them.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  17. entropyfx

Dislikes Received:
    Not worried. I've heard digging myscanthus rhizomes is its own version of hell, lol.

oldnotdead likes this.
  18. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    So my germination test on what was my go corn for plotting failed again. Looks like the suppliers to TSC got wise and are super heating their corn. Oh well it was a good run while it lasted. I am going to try terminating a regional corn supplier hope they don't do a killing dry.
    Now I ordered wild life sorghum hoping it's s short ..couldn't find info on height. That said I found a cc an of grain sorghum in B-) basement that's at least 8 yrs old about a 1/3 of a 50# bag. This was 12ft tall grain sorghum I had used as a screen. Well I did a germination test and it was nearly 90 % on paper towel in a plastic bag. I will be using that if corn fails.

19. oldnotdead

Dislikes Received:
    Thought I'd post some pics of that clover WR plot that will go to beans. Also that old sorghum seed that germinated. The plot was seed from bags 3 years ago. All growth since has been cut drag reseeding.

20210513_103248.jpg 20210513_102941.jpg 20210513_102709.jpg 20210513_101834.jpg

arrowflinger1, GregH and Ridgerunner3 like this.
  20. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Got everything fertilized, tilled and planted. Soybeans, sunflowers and clover.

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk