Magnus broadheads?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Robear of lockersley, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Robear of lockersley

Robear of lockersley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello all. I'm considering buying some Magnus black hornet broadheads.

What's you guys opinion of them?
    Thanks for any comments in advance.

2. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    A buddy of mine shoots them and loves them so much that I have considered changing.

3. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot the Black Hornet Buzz Cuts and they are nasty. They fly great with a properly tuned bow. They also have a lifetime warranty. I think they are the best fixed blade for the price.

4. Robear of lockersley

Robear of lockersley Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I'm planning to use them on moose, do think they're a good choice?
    Do you have any better recommendations? For moose that is.

5. Ranger93

Ranger93 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used mechanicals (Swhackers) prior to this with good success and then switched to the Magnus and the penetration was night and day. The holes that the Magnus produces is awesome and they pass through like a knife in hot butter. I know there are some good fixed blades out there and can be expensive; Magnus broadheads are a good price, can be re-sharpened, customer service is great and have a lifetime warranty. I know that Bowhuntr64 does a lot of reviews on broadheads and he hunts moose/African sized game, I would check out his videos on here to broaden my search. For me, I hunt whitetails and turkeys and the Magnus Black Hornet works awesome for me.

6. 95tigerbill

95tigerbill Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I started my son with 85 grain Magnus broadheads when he started bow hunting. His set up was 35# and he harvested 3 does and 2 bucks in the last three years. The broadheads have been impressive! Complete pass thru shots and fly great. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on moose.

7. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I went from the Stingers to VAP heads. I like that I don’t have to buy blades. Yes I know you can resharpen the Stinger.
    Had the VAP not preformed as I expected, the Black Hornets was my next head. Still may be, I like to tinker.
    I will say that for moose with a decent weight arrow and a well tuned bow, you shouldn’t have any issues. As long as you do your part.
    Magnus CS is second to no one. Mike is a great guy.

8. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot both the black hornets and the Stingers in a 125 grain. My arrow weight is around 440 grains.
    I have shot one elk, three mule deer and three white tail with the black hornets. With the stingers I have shot two mule deer and an elk. All my deer with both heads feel within 50 yards or less. The elk I hit with the black hornet went about 80 yards. The elk was at 32 yards broadside and the shot was a very good shot. The elk I hit with the stinger was just a little bit quartering away and at 40 yards and my arrow hit the far side shoulder. That elk went around 150 yards. Not my best shot. I hit liver and one lung. With the stinger being a longer Broadhead it cut up everything when the elk was running. My two oldest boys who were hunting with me call the Stingers my elephant killers.
    I also shoot a crossbow and I like to shoot the 150 grain swhackers. I have only shot three white tail with them. They have all dropped within 30 yards dead. I bought some Sevr Broadheads to mess around with this year.
    Anyway this my two cents worth

Robear of lockersley likes this.
  9. Kenneth Jasinski

Kenneth Jasinski Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I use the Magnus stinger 150. They fly great, I shot two deer this past year with them, on the buck i didnt get a past thru but i got 23 inches of penetration, only thing sticking out was vanes, but the broadhead had to hit the leg bone and deflect straight back, but I hit everything and the buck went 46 yards and fell over, biggest issue was there was zero blood, lucky he fell so close and didnt really know what happened. Then the doe I shot got a past thru and she only ran 50 or so yards and piled up and had a good blood trail, double lung and cut top of heart on her. I had years of lost deer and bad penetration from using two blade rage and a not properly tuned bow, changed to a tuned bow and fixed blades and its night and day. Both kills are on youtube if you wanna see the broadheads in action on real game. ( Hunters Heritage Outdoors ). They also stick with the life time warranty, the buck I shot the broadhead was bent pretty bad and I contacted them, they asked for pictures then sent me a new head.

10. jonderrs7

jonderrs7 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I am also rocking 125 gr magnus stinger killer bees. love em.

11. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I intend to stay with the Magus stinger 125gr again this year. 20200930_085317.jpeg

12. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have Magnus Stingers and Buzzcuts, both in 125 grain.

13. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    ^^^
    the key with the Black Hornets is ***a properly tuned bow***

That's a wide airfoil flying through the air and will sail badly if you are not properly tuned.

I thought I was tuned until I shot them...holy cow was I wrong. Like 4" 2 o'clock high at 25 yards. 3 blade fixed heads were shooting fine.

I imagine the Stingers are a bit more forgiving since they have a narrower profile.

I would think a helical fletch would also help stabilize the arrow quicker, thereby reducing the sheering effect of the wedge profile.

Hard to go wrong with any Magnus products, they are high quality, easily resharpened, and as someone else stated come with a lifetime warranty.

14. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah the black hornets will expose a tune issue. For me they just hit slightly low, about an inch, even though my bow was tuned. Slick tricks were dead on where my field points hit and I chalked it up to slightly more drag on the hornets part. Not a terrible adjustment, but something to be said about a seamless transition. That is about as close to a complaint on the hornet as I can get so far.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

15. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For the price, they're hard to beat...especially with the lifetime unlimited warranty. I did a Magnus Broadhead Battle Test Vid where I compared the Black Hornet to the Stinger...you can find it on my YouTube Channel, Lusk Archery Adventures. I hope it's helpful.

virginiashadow likes this.
  16. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I know most of us are all about a tuned bow and being able to shoot any broadhead accurately. But those 2 blade broadheads are so easy to tune and kill just as good.