Tree saddle hunting...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by mikerock85, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Also if you’re on Facebook there are a couple groups that have been super helpful. You could probably find a guy in your area that would be willing to let you try the gear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Suncrest08 likes this.
  2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I’m not on FB. I’m always curious on new things which typically gets me in trouble. Thanks for the responses I’ll try to get my hands on one to mess with.

3. pastorjim08

pastorjim08 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you are saddle-curious, tethrd offers sessions called teach-n-train. I'm going to one here in Indiana next month. I know there is one scheduled for Pennsylvania coming up. You might go to the tethrd website and see the schedule for it. They go over everything saddle and answer any questions.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Saddle-curious lol. Didn’t Biden make a council for that? I don’t think I’m gonna divert from my stand and sticks, I’m stuck in my ways

pastorjim08 likes this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Main benefit is less weight and bulk to carry through the woods. The lighter load makes it easier to get away from other hunters. I have found that I also prefer facing towards the tree and hiding on the back side of it from where I expect deer to come from. I am not getting picked off nearly as much as when I used to hunt in a stand.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  6. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I have done multiple all days sits and many sits of six plus hours when I didn't hunt all day. It takes time and effort to figure out how to get the saddle to fit correctly to be comfortable for that long. However, once this is done, it is more comfortable than sitting in a stand.

dnoodles likes this.
  7. S.McArthur

S.McArthur Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    That's basically it. You are wearing your stand as opposed to hauling your stand. Climb tree as you would with a stand, except just through your tether around the tree and tie in.
    No problem, I've done 2-3 day straight all day sits, and I'll get sore, but it's mainly from the sunup-sundown sitting around. Wouldn't be any different than sitting all day in an office chair/stand/etc. all day.
    You need to get the micro adjustments dialed in, once you figure out where everything should be and how to adjust to different positions, you'll be set. There is a thing called "saddle shape", like skiing, you'll find spots you never really work until you use them, once you get used to that, your body will adjust or adapt.
    I bought my saddle to use only on public land, I have not used a stand in 2 years now, private and public, I really enjoy the saddle.

Suncrest08, Wop 75 and cantexian like this.
  8. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone spend the coin on these yet? Crazy expensive, but if they are what they say they are, they seem like a great stick.
    https://tethrdnation.com/product/tethrd-one-climbing-stick/

Part 2: Aero Hunters...opinions on the Merlin v Flex; I think it's time to retire my Tethrd Mantis after 3 seasons.

9. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I did see a couple reviews on the one stick. Neither was very favorable. They both complained that the stand-offs left something to be desired.

10. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    Merlin all day. I have both and will likely never use the Flex again.

Holt likes this.
  11. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yep, I’ve seen a handful of videos and reviews of people that aren’t impressed with them. I’ve heard they creek a decent amount.

12. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with Justin. I have both and the Merlin all day long.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I haven't tried the sticks. But, a set of four to get to 20 feet will run almost $500. You can get a nonresident tag for that price in almost every state. I think I will stick with my $120 Hawk Helium and actually hunt more.

I have no opinion on the Merlin or Flex, but, running an a Kestrel, which is an older Aerohunter Model, you will not be disappointed with the quality.

S.McArthur likes this.
  14. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I think most guys are going to "one stick" this one. I've watched a bunch of videos on it, and I just don't see the allure. Seems like a bunch of extra work to me, all to save a few lbs on the walk in?

I'll spend a little extra time on the stair machine instead.

cantexian likes this.
  15. Oly44

Oly44 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeah I cant see myself at this point doing the one stick method. Who knows maybe I’ll try it in the future and like it. But I have LW sticks already. I’m modding them a little bit but other than that I’ll run those. Not a huge fan of aiders either so I’ll be keeping them the full length unlike a lot of other guys I see.

16. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I hope to see LFTS(addle) Croc selfies this fall...bruh

17. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    More comfie than most hang ons. Also, I am a big fan of having the tree as a screen between me and the deer. I can shoot almost 360* from a saddle with a lot less moving around than from a traditional stand.

My main beef with saddle hunting is I tend to be a lot more fidgety. Like a lot more fidgety. But that's mostly on me- because your field of view is so easy to expand, I tend to look around a lot more than I do in a traditional stand, and move to do it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Suncrest08 likes this.
  18. S.McArthur

Dislikes Received:
    Pretty much what I think, I can buy two sets of Novix mini sticks and have change for beer. I can handle 6 more pounds. I assume they’ll have to drop the price at some point when they are carrying unsold inventory.

19. pastorjim08

Dislikes Received:
    I agree with you on the price thing. When the off-shore companies begin to see there's a growing market for this stuff, they will start selling products that are alot cheaper. Hawk already has a sub $100 platform and a pretty cheap saddle. And XOP is also coming out with a less expensive platform.

20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree, one stick seems stupid for the reasons you pointed out. I would rather drop a few pounds in the gym and carry gear that is easier to use. Some saddle hunters get a little nuts with the gear obsessions.

pastorjim08 likes this.