preparing for hog hunting....

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Rodolfo Lazo, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hello, Good day!.

I am starting to bow hunting, being shooting traditional recuve bows since a year , i am handling decently a 50 pounds bow using gold tip 400 spine, 30 inches long arows, with 150 grains insert plus 100 grain tip, with a total weight of 515 grains . I have already 6 Magnus stinger 2 blade 100 grains broadhead and were i live autum is coming son so it`s hog time. The wild hogs here are medium to big size, if you go little deeper in the woods could get some of 200 kilos ( 50o pounds?) or more!!

I am preparing to Hunt so would like to share my plans and hopefully receive some tips back.

1.- I am planing to visit the place along a river were some hogs are frecuently seing. If found some Trail prints i am planning to left some corn every 2 days ( if the first time they pass by and eat there) to prepare the place and made them used to visit that area. In each trip the idea is to get the info of were the come in from, were the stay, time the come and go, Clean the place for thetree sand and shooting , the place were the hogs should be eting, etc.

3.- At 3rd or 4th time, go to the place the day before by noon, set the tree stands plant there some corn and other food and come back very early the next morning ( before sunrise) to set in place and wait….the end of the story I can plan it!!, it depends on hogs mood!!!.

I am right?? I am missing something??. Probably would be better to set up the stands and still there until dark for hogs the same day, but is getting very cold at nights, and have been hard to me to find a partner to join with..at the moment I am alone, but when hunting for sure don`t want to go alone there, safety is first!.

Will be very thankfull of any info or input you provide..

Thaks in advance.

Tato Lazo

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have some friends in Texas who bait and hunt hogs. Their problem is the hogs quickly start feeding at night.

If possible I would clear a shooting lane in advance and hang your stand, down wind of the hogs travel route.

Buenas suerte!

3. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Wl704.
    Thanks for your eeply. That is my idea...bait few times, 2 or 3, each time check the hog tarils, from where they come in, to where they come out, c...and search for the best tree stand location. Eventually, and prior to the hunting day or night, move to the place the tree stands, Then, for the next time plant some corn at the feeding spot and place the tree stand...as far at this point i have my schedule quite clear...then my concern was to go there and step up the trees for hunting the next day very early before daylight and sit up there on the stands or would be too late...
    i know hogs are known to feed by night mainly....if so...i will have to get first a good partner, then very warmy clothes and go there by noon, plant the last corn and get up to the tree stands and wait...The main reason for the satnds is safety, more than a goos shooting pount, but for sure it will help to see the hogs coming too and put us up of their vision line...7 foot high will be more than enought.

I don`t know if would be possible to install the stands days before the hunt so the hogs get used to it.., here, as in many other places, somebody would "think" " these stand was abandoned..no owner!!..." and took it away....
    That is why for the first times I built my own simple tree stands of wood, they are a lot heavier to carry effortless, but very cheap after all...the main cost is the rachets to attach them to the tree...will try to send some pics...

Thanks for the inputs, hope someone else could bring some info too.
    Rodolfo, from Puerto Varas, Chile...the door to Patagonia....

4. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    here is what I got until now. just need to bolt on a rear toothed plate to avoid oscilation around the trunk.

Attached Files:

5. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Curious how your 400 spine arrows tuned with 250 grains of point weight?
    That much weight up front with 30" arrows probably has you pretty close to being a bit weak on your spine stiffness, even at only 50 lbs of draw weight.
    May tune fine of course, but if you struggle to get them to fly well that may be the issue.

6. Rodolfo Lazo

Rodolfo Lazo Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Hi Mod It:

Thanks for your reply. In fact, the recurve 50 pounder bow shot the gold tip 400 hunter arrows with regular insert (13 grains) and 100 grains tip, 4 inches to the left at 20 meters. ....when increasing tip weight using a 150 grains insert it shot centered.
    Another issue is about flight and distance. My goal was to reach 500 grains of arrow total weight to have enoguht mass to deal with big hogs... so as gold tip 400 already has 8.2 grains per inch...would be difficult to achieve that total weight only by increasing shaft weight...hard to find such sticks around here! So I glued heavier nserts at 150 grains each.

As I am shooting a recurve bow, my distance for a effective ans secure shot is no more than 15-20 meters, that will be around 45 yards..after that the arrow flight drops down exponentially...at 22 meters the arrow hits exactly at height were aimed at...that is my reference.

But what you said make sense to me. Please if you can provide some more infor about how to tune better these arrows would be great...the actual weight of the arrows is 515 -518 grains, probably i could take off 30-40 grains from the insert and stay a little under 500 grains...
    Regards.
    Rodolfo.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021