Skid Steers

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Suncrest08, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Just picked some land up and need to do some cleaning up and general land maintenance. Was gonna get a Kubota tractor, but decided on a Skid steer instead. I’ll just get a zero turn down the road to cut the grass. Any recommendations? Size etc, don’t know much about them, been researching them a lot. The ones I used b4 were primarily Bobcat and foot control. Looking for used and under 15k.

2. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    If you get a skid steer what willyou use for food plotting?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

3. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Well the parcel I bought is a chunk from a friend of the family’s. He owns 80 and I bought 7 acres to build on. It’s my primary hunting grounds and he has all the implements for food plots and clearing the fields. I like to be independent so I was gonna buy my own tractor and do the work with it, but a skid steer is more practical for what I need to do and I can still continue to use his for the fun stuff.

4. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve probably got more experience in joystick unit because that’s basically all you can get these days, but I am far better with and much prefer a foot control type. It’s a pain in the ass trying to drive with one hand and work the attachment with the other. I am far better when I can let my feet do the driving and focus on working the bucket with my hands. I am probably in the minority though. As far as size goes depends on what you are doing, if there is a lot of thick scrub and brush to keep clear and you’ve got a pretty forgiving budget then get one with enough HP to run a forestry drum chipper.

I think you are definitely on the right track with the skid-steer. I have regretted getting a tractor instead of a skid steer for almost as long as I’ve had the tractor. You can even get tiller, disk, and seed drill attachments for a skid steer. Compared to a tractor, it probably wouldn’t be quite as efficient to use a skid steer for that kind of job, but if the only agriculture you’re planning on doing consists of planting a few food plots every year then it ought to be more than adequate.

Honestly, 95% of what I do use the tractor for is stuff that I could do faster and better with a skid steer. And even if having to use a skid steer instead of a tractor meant that it took me an extra half a day to put in food plots it would absolutely be worth it since that’s literally the only thing I do where a tractor might outperform a skid steer. The only reason I got a tractor instead of a skid steer is because at the time I was under the assumption that I would have to brush hog the fields a couple times per year. Shortly after I got it I discovered that I could actually let somebody pay me for the opportunity to mow my fields. It’s great, he puts out fertilizer & lime (all paid for by him) on my fields every spring and then he comes out and mows 4-5 times per summer (which is a lot more often than it would’ve gotten done if I had to do it) And after he mows them he even comes back a few days later and collects the clippings, rolls them into bales, and hauls it all off. I’ve literally used the brush hog probably 3-4 times since I got it and it was only to mow down a couple hundred feet of trail and now I don’t even have to do that because the hay guy just up and offered to do it for me (presumably he wants to keep me happy & make sure I am not tempted to let a somebody else pay me to mow my grass)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

trial153, dnoodles and Suncrest08 like this.
  5. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    ^ My exact thoughts on why to get a skid over a tractor.

6. Blarney22

Blarney22 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Pro tip: Don't let your friends know you have a skid steer, everyone will want to borrow it

Wop 75, TJF, dnoodles and 1 other person like this.
  7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tell you what I will buy you a case of beer you come over and operate the loader for me.:biggrin:

Blarney22, dnoodles and Suncrest08 like this.
  8. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I do like to work for beer n food! That Machine isn’t leaving my property.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Sota likes this.
  9. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Are you looking for wheels or tracks. With that budget guessing tracks might be off the table. Also something to think about is will you have to tow it at anytime. Larger machines take a much bigger truck and trailer.

My favorite old skid steer right now is the Case 1845c. All mechanical and no fancy electronics to worry about. About 60 hp Cummings and 1700 lbs of lift on the bucket. Weight is about 6400 lbs. But because they are so simple and last forever, makes them hard to find.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Suncrest08 likes this.
  10. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    We have a Gehl at work, I would not ever bring it home for anything, it has wheels, hand control it rips the **** out of everything.

11. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    threads like this are why I check every day.

opossumhunterNC and Suncrest08 like this.
  12. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I’d love a track machine but tryin tp keep under 15k, so wheels it is. I only have a ram 1500 but have access to a 2500 and trailer that will handle it. Just looking for a mid size machine, open cab. Just a work horse no bells and whistles

13. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I found a couple of them actually and heading to Ohio on Thursday to potentially pick one up and Look at a bobcat 753H

14. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    With the bobcats, make sure it has the kubota diesel engine. Much better engine then some of the older ones with the Perkins

Suncrest08 likes this.
  15. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Ok thanks I def will! I’m on skid steer overload, pumped to get after it !

16. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Very versatile machine. When you get one , just wait til your first snow, so much faster for clearing snow. And you can get just about any attachments that you can dream of. Definitely a rabbit hole!

Suncrest08 likes this.
  17. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I been looking at attachments, its pretty great. Just what I need another rabbit hole haha

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Holt likes this.
  18. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea... except now it’s got me back thinking about buying a skid steer again. I’ve managed to keep that out of my mind for like 4 months until today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Suncrest08 likes this.
  19. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    well, pretty obvious unless you are a legit farmer you should have bought a skid steer.

And BTW, can I borrow your skid steer?

20. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Talked to an old friend, he had a landscaping company and might be unloading some skids. This could be a great thing.