The rant thread...

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by buckeye, Feb 3, 2013.

1. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    At least your rant was in the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sota likes this.
  2. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    similar getting older rant.
    Taking the dog to get groomed this AM, get to an intersection that's all jacked up for a Saturday AM. Being the impatient a*hole I am, I dump onto the left side median to cut around since I am going to turn left anyway. Get up to the front and see there is a disabled car that tried to get on the right side shoulder but ended up dying in the center line which is why both sides are having a hard time getting through. Anyway, this has obviously been going on for a while and nobody was helping this schmuck move his car.

So I throw mine in park and hop out, at about the same time another guy also with salt and pepper in his beard does the same, we look at each other and just get it done. Couldn't have taken more than 3 minutes, tops.

While we were doing that, noticed that there had to be half a dozen or more dipshit millennial-aged "men" sitting behind the steering wheel of their cars waiting for god knows how long for "someone" to come and take care of business.

These tragic sacks of spunk will inherit the earth. God help your daughters.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  3. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    The only glasses I need are the reading glasses. I got tired of forgetting to bring them with me when I went places so now I have a pair in every vehicle and both of my shops. I have no excuse to not have my glasses any more.

Sota likes this.
  4. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    There is a lot of extra demand for sheet goods with all the stores that are boarding up their windows to keep peaceful protesters from looting and burning down their business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wop 75 and Sota like this.
  5. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    $7 for a framing 2x4x8. $30 for the OSB.

Had to check the price of my deck plans. Only went up $130. Guess I can get over that.

6. takemrarely

takemrarely Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    My kid was just harping on this yesterday...add in the fact that most on them are crooked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GregH likes this.
  7. opossumhunterNC

opossumhunterNC Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Consider yourself lucky... just replaced mine a couple months ago... took 3 months to whore up enough 5/4 boards to do it. Was planning to make it a single level 16’ deep but gave up on getting 16’ boards and ended up biting the bullet and going with 2 levels with each one 12’ deep (I guess technically it’s 3 levels if you count the 3’x4’ landing for the split stairs). In hindsight I am kind of glad since it added some extra square footage, stairs that exit towards both the left and the right side, and it looks a lot cooler but the cost increase was a pretty tough to swallow considering all the extra framing and columns it required.

It also taught me that I passionately hate building custom angle/length staircases. I.E. stairs where you have to make your own stringers out of 2x12 boards instead of just buying the pre-made ones. First off, you have to get ahold of 2x12’s that are completely knot free with no warp or twist whatsoever which is a job in and of itself and will require visiting a half dozen or so lumber stores and bribing all the appropriate employees. Once that’s done you have to figure out what tread depth and step height to use so the stairs come out evenly spaced and have an appropriate slope which is a lot harder in practice than you would expect. And even after all that you have to measure, lay out, and make 6 cuts for every step (at least I did since I had wide stairs and needed to use 3 risers) and if you f’ up one measurement, or get one angle wrong, or screw up a single cut then you’ve ruined the whole riser. Even if you make all the correct measurements and don’t mess up cutting the stair notches, you gotta take the completed riser and set it up against the deck to make sure it fits. That’s where you will discover that your forgot to account for the 1-1/2” thickness of the tread boards when you bought 2x8’s for the risers and now you have to either accurately rip 1-1/2” off all your 2x8 boards without a table saw or go back out and buy some 2x6’s and accept the fact that you will have an obvious 1/2” gap between the top of each riser and the stair above it. Basically my advice for anybody who is thinking about building their own custom staircases is don’t do it. And if you decide to do it anyway, just go ahead and figure out what lumber you need to get for the stairs separately, then buy double of every board and also buy the same number of boards in one one size larger as well as in one size smaller. IE, if you think you need a dozen 2x8’s go ahead and get a dozen 2x6’s and a dozen 2x10’s as well so you won’t have to stop working halfway through and wait for another order of lumber to ship.

Nice once it’s done though!
    upload_2021-3-22_12-36-58.jpeg
    I did salvage that built in wooden bench from the old deck and bolted it to the new one. Didn’t want a railing running across the middle of the deck. It’s probably not to code but if somebody manages to fall over the top of a 30” high and 3’ wide wooden bench then that’s their own damn fault.

8. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I planned on building the deck last year. My daughter and SIL also built one. We started their's first and were going to do mine afterward.

We found framing lumber local but by the time the framing was done, had to drive 60 miles north to get the deck boards and 60 miles south to get stair riser and rail spindles as places got in material.

Deck start was mid April-finish date was early Oct!!

9. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Power just went out to most if the hospital campus. Fun times. Since I am not in patient care, I am now sitting in the emergency lighting without a/c. At least it is not August.

wl704 likes this.
  10. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Sigh. I think I'll need to shoot some arrows this evening.

When the number of dumb thing you hear in a business day hits a certain threshold...I'm just stunned.

Hey, I know you told me you're swamped this week, but...

We want to build... (and what follows forces you to ask yourself: Wtf? Those words don't even belong together...)

My client of the past couple of years asks you opinion on not just 1 hair brained initiative, but 2 in the same day!

Go to staff people for my next project from hell... Starts next week... Project start dates are all wrong.

New client requests some 'prework' to justify the project, somebody else sold, and we're supposed to start next week?

I'm in bizarro land... Please, wake me up.

Okiebob likes this.
  11. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Incels.
    I am pretty sure with the exception(s) of Vegas (who the F knows) San Bernadino (terrorists) Ft. Hood (terrorist) and...those 3, almost every spree shooter incident in the past 25 years has been an incel and/or other sexual deviant.
    • the Sikh temple shooter was an idiot racist who was so dumb he didn't even get his races correct and was also an incel (Sikhs are not Muslims and in fact probably have more of a history of hating/warring with Muslims more than any other ethnicity)
    • The Pittsburgh (?) synagogue shooter was obviously an anti-semite and given how he looks and lived...probably an incel.
    • Pulse Shooter was a Muslim and likely a closeted/self-hating homosexual who killed in the name of Allah, meaning he is a terrorist either way
    That is the one common thread for all these incidents. Not race. Not economic status. Incel. Sexual deviancy. Isolation.

Good thing we are teaching our boys that being a man is bad and all our children need to isolate at all times.

*edited to include additional terrorists who may have also been Incels.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Wop 75, w33kender, cantexian and 3 others like this.
  12. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Thats why I like the recurve so much. I spent a lot more time on the home range shooting and washing the bizarro day out of my brain.

dnoodles, virginiashadow and wl704 like this.
  13. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Man doesnt get laid. Man gets angry and aggressive. Incel wackos.

Wop 75, cantexian and dnoodles like this.
  14. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Man doesn't know how to handle failure. Man is brought up in a religion where women are supposed to do what man says but in a Western society that says opposite. Man doesn't understand that he was brought here out of kindness to people living in a warzone that not all of them chose.

Man sees Orange Man limiting the importation of more people like him and tweets from Ilhan Omar who hates OMB and the rest of America for having been generous and kind.

Man hates Orange Man Bad. Man starts severely balding at 20 years of age and has a lot of backhair which only exacerbates Man's loneliness and inability to score chicks. Man sees tweets from Ilhan Omar blaming America for bringing in millions of asylees but expecting them to adopt American values.

Man sees how easy it is to buy AR15.

...You know the rest.

15. dnoodles

Dislikes Received:
    Only replying to my own post to make this point-

I have no quibble over how easy it is for an American Citizen to buy an AR15. It is our Right.
    I have a MAJOR quibble as to how easy it is to be a naturalized American Citizen.

Wop 75, cantexian and Sota like this.
  16. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    After having a lift put on my jeep at the end of January, I have experienced the horrible vibration in the steering at highway speeds a couple of times. At the time of the lift, the shop recommended having ball joints serviced soon. It drove fine for about five weeks before the first time it happened. Last Friday, I had the ball joints and one of the tie rod ends done. The little slack in the steering is gone and everything seems great. Yesterday, on my lunch break, I was going to meet my wife at a U-Haul to have a hitch installed on her SUV so she can put her bike rack on the car. Guess what happens? And this time, it vibrates a power steering hose loose. I ended up having to muscle the car to the side of the interstate and sat there for two hours waiting on a tow truck. Ended up burning half a day of PTO since I didn't get back in the office yesterday.

17. w33kender

w33kender Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Incels, part II.

There is no shortage of lonely women out there.

Get off your pity pot, first of all.

Secondly, shave, brush, and floss every morning; keep mints on your person and use one every hour minimum. Never assume your breath is fine.

Shower, use anti-perspirant, and after shave. Put on clean clothes. Smile. Make eye contact. Listen more than you talk. Appear interested.

If you do these things, women will love you even if you look like John Candy, I promise you.

ash d and cantexian like this.
  18. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Me not knowing when to just shut up and sell a moron what he wants even though it is total garbage. Oh your builder told you xyz about roofing!? I'm content with being a master of one trade and not a jack of all.

Wop 75 and Sota like this.
  19. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I get what you are saying but John Candy had money.

w33kender likes this.
  20. cantexian

Dislikes Received:
    And a solid sense of self-depreciating humor. Women seem to love a guy that doesn't take himself too seriously.

w33kender likes this.