First Lite furnace base layers

Discussion in 'Equipment Reviews' started by JHasty, Mar 17, 2021.

1. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Hey guys needing some input from fellow hunters who have worn or are currently wearing the First lite fernace top and bottoms as a base layer for warmth. I am from Georgia but our temps don't get extremely cold. Season ends in January here and between December and January we may be lucky to see 30's and occasionally high 20's (not very often). I have always struggled with staying warm while sitting in the stand for long periods of time if it gets 40 degrees and below (I know that may be mild by some standards and I may be called a pansy or weak for getting cold at that temp) . I have tried layering several different ways using several base layers and it never fails that after about 2 to 3 hours I start getting cold. I usually only wear the bare minimum to my stand and get dressed after I have cooled down to avoid sweating. What I am looking for is a quality base layer that will help keep me warm while at the same time allow me to wear as little as possible under my outer layer. I have read good reviews on the First lite stuff and the ones I have found on the fernace say its really warm but it is also fairly expensive. I don't mind spending the money on quality products that will last and will do what it says but at the same time I like most people cant afford to go out and buy 3,4, or 5 different products at several hundred dollars a pop to find what works and what doesn't. Should I be looking for super warm base layers and thin outer layers or would I benefit more from thinner base layer and thicker warmer outer layer? Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the mid weight kiln hoodie and boot top lowers and they have been awesome for me deep into the season here in Missouri. I do want the furnace baselayers next, but im not sure I really need them bc I layer some coveralls (off brand not made any more) and the Sanctuary jacket when it is super cold here. I stay comfy with my setup and admit I will sprinkle in some foot and hand warmers as needed. For Georgia's climate I can't imagine you needing more than the mid weight but I'm not sure how you layer or your tolerance. I suppose if you have lighter outer layers, the heavy weight would be the way to go and imo you can't go wrong with their baselayers. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

JHasty likes this.
  3. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I used the First Lite Furnace top and bottom this year in cold temps. By far the warmest garments I have ever owned. My system was: Base - lightweight merino wool long sleeve, Mid - Furnace top, Outer - Nomad Harvester jacket. I used 2 or 3 stick on body warmers on my core area. I was plenty warm in temps in the teens, sitting still in a tree stand for 5 hours. After a few hours I did get a slight chill, but it wasn't bad and I used hand warmers in my pockets.

Bottom line: I would pay for the high dollar First Lite stuff (if you can comfortably afford it) in order to keep super warm...but you can get lesser expensive clothing/wool layers for early to mid season hunting. Amazon sells some merino called Meri-wool, and its plenty good for temps down to the 40's. It fits well and it has been a good investment at $60/piece. The stick on body warmers are a great buy. This was the first season I used them a bunch, and they made a huge difference.

JHasty likes this.
  4. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Furance top and for cold weather hunting, I love it. Picked it up during Black Friday sale and I'll likely buy a few more pieces this coming year. I've owned a lot of Merino wool products in my day, and this is up there with my favorites of all time.

JHasty likes this.
  5. JStarr

JStarr Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I like the furnace tops and bottoms both. I tend to wear the top more often, otherwise my legs sweat like crazy.
    I can usually wear them along with along with the Klamath hoodie down to the mid to low 40's (stationary) and stay plenty warm.
    Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

JHasty likes this.
  6. JHasty

JHasty Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for the input Wedes! I think I am going to pull the trigger on a top and bottom this year for my base layer for when it gets cold. I would rather spend a lump sum of money up front and get quality gear than to keep spending it on cheaper stuff year after year trying to find out what's good and what's not. Just wanted to get some opinions from people who have more knowledge on it than me. Thanks again!

Wedes likes this.
  7. Wedes

Wedes Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I think it’s definitely a get what you pay for. You can get by with lower end stuff but it frustrates you, and you end up spending more and being more uncomfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JHasty likes this.