Rangefinder

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by lilywhite, Mar 6, 2021.

1. lilywhite

lilywhite Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Anyone give me the name of a quality finder that is reliable but don’t cost the earth

2. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure what you consider costing the earth. In my experience you usually get what you pay for with rangefinders. I always seem to come back to Leupold RX style rangefinders with the DNA technology. They’re really consistent and accurate and take readings really fast. Haven’t had the greatest luck with Bushnell units even though some of them are as expensive as the Leupolds. At some point I want to try a Vortex but don’t really want to pay the higher price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Heckler likes this.
  4. SeanSproule

SeanSproule Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Had a Bushnell and found it lacked in lower light. Guy at the hunt camp was watching a buck 15ft from my stand with a Leopold from 200yds away that I couldn’t range. Couldn’t believe the difference and bought one on my way home from camp that weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shocker99 likes this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
  6. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Not sure of your budget. For bowhunting, I like good glass, accuracy and angle compensation.

I picked up a sig Sauer a few years ago, likely as a model closer out. Seems like it was like in the range of 100-150 on camofire or ebay.

Leupold are also supposed to be very good.

I'd steer clear of bottom of barrel options and save a few more bucks, if needed.

Ps
    I think illuminated distances was a feature others liked, in prior threads on the topic. Mine seems to be lcd... I'll range a target then use the sky if I doubt have enough contrast for to low light.

7. jstephens61

jstephens61 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Got a Bushnell Chuck Adams edition that works very well. Also a Vortex that also works very very well. For whitetail in the east, the Bushnell will do all I need, west of the Mississippi, I carry the Vortex.
    All depends on what your needs are.

8. Bowhuntr64

Bowhuntr64 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I've gone thru quite a few over the years, but finally broke down and got a Leica. Man, it was worth every penny. Been using it for years. I often don't even need to bring binos cause the lens clarity is so good.

9. Jeff Davis

Jeff Davis Newb

Dislikes Received:
    It all depends on how far you want to range. I do long-range and my Sig does 1500 yards reliably. I got the Bluetooth model which talks to my Kestrel. Just as effective for bow hunting. You get what you pay for.

10. Skunkworkx

Skunkworkx Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
  11. ILbowhunter

ILbowhunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I’ve been using a Nikon Archers Choice for bowhunting for about 10 years, and have zero complaints. I’m not sure if they are even made anymore, but it wasn’t very expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

12. T E Hunter

T E Hunter Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I have been looking for similar options. Here are what I found for bow hunting: leupold full draw 4 is the best but is costly. Another option that is better for both rifle, bow hunting is aofar hx1200 which has angle and max range of almost 600 yards. There are some other quite good options on hunting manual to figure out yourself.

13. Nybowhunter43

Nybowhunter43 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I used an old square Nikon up until last year. It has served me well. I upgraded to a Leupold Full Draw; I am very happy with it. The one thing I miss about the Nikon is it had a red reticle in it, the full draw has a black one.

14. Heckler

Heckler Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    The Halo that Fix suggested is really nice for the money!

15. MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    i have a Bushnell , unknown model, I've had it since 1999, no issues other than the 9-volt battery.

16. muzzyman88

muzzyman88 Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    If its just whitetail hunting from a treestand, most instances I'd say don't spend a ton of money on one. Any good 200-300 dollar Nikon will work fine. I'm still rocking a Nikon that is almost 20 years old. Seriously. haha. Angle compensation is nice, but is absolutely not needed and I will bet my lunch that it makes very little difference when shooting out of a treestand. In fact I know it doesn't. ;-). Good, bright glass so you can use it to range objects in low light and read it in low light are far and away more important than any of the wiz bang features they make you think is a must.

I may upgrade to a new one as I will give my old one to my new bowhunter son this fall. That is the only reason I'd switch. But I won't worry about angle compensation as a must have. If it has it, it has it.

17. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You can't go wrong with Vortex. Amazing warranty!

Oldcarp likes this.
  18. Oldcarp

Oldcarp Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    I had a mid grade Bushnell for about 15 years. Last year it started to go out of focus. So my boys this year bought me a Vortex for Christmas. It has more stuff on it than I know how to use. It works great and is definitely a step up or two from my old one