New bow shopping

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Branden, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What's up! Looking to up grade from my ancient bear element. I been looking around and reading but haven't found one I'm dead set on. Does any one have a preference or maybe help me choose a reasonably priced bow. I shoot between 1500-2000 arrows a year with my element and have enjoyed it for years. Looking for something I can repeat that with.

2. westdesign03

westdesign03 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    What price range you wanting to stay in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I went and shot the 2021 bows, I ended up with a prime nexus 4, plenty of great bows to be had. Depends on your budget, you can also get a great pre owned bow on AT classifieds. I’d go and shoot a bunch and see what YOU like

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    We could suggest some bows, but not until we know some more about what specs you prefer. Speed and "critical", smooth and forgiving...?
    After that it will still be best for you to go to some archery shops and actually shoot the bows before deciding which to buy.

Fix likes this.
  5. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm 100% with @Mod on this. What kind of arrows are you shooting? Light and smooth or you throwing rebar? Do you like a hard or soft back stop. What can you afford bare bones. Do you want to be brand loyal? Do you want new, brand new, or used?
    Help me, help you

6. Whitetail

Whitetail Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    1. Decide what you THINK you want (this may change). For me it is quiet - smooth draw - real warranty (I tend to keep things forever). Not a warranty that lets me buy a discounted new model when my bow needs a part the don't make anymore. Speed means zero to me.

2. Go shoot every bow you can find within 75 miles of your house. Some bows you know are not for you after shooting just 1 arrow.

3. Let the bow pick you. Or if you get down to 2-3 bows, go back later and shoot them again.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  7. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Well I'm looking for something that has a solid back wall. Draw smoothness isn't the most critical to me not something that's going to just snap back into the left off. I shoot vendetta arrows with rage hyprodermic broad heads. Here are three I'm looking at mission mxr, Hoyt power max, bowtech amplify. Obviously I have not looked into a new bow so I'm not sure what is considered a decent bow anymore. Would like to shoot around 310 fps but speed isn't everything if I can get consistency out of it. I mean judge ment of yard will cause more misses then speed.

8. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While I have no experience with them, I've read that bows that have a huge adjustability range normally have a pretty spongy back wall. Both the Power Max and the Amplify are those types of bows.
    Many times you can find a 2-4 year old "flag ship" bow for a pretty reasonable price. As @Whitetail said, go handle some bows for sale near you in your price range and see which feels the best. One will jump out at you.

Branden likes this.
  9. 0317

0317 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have a relatively newer Elite, so I'm done with bows for a bit, I dont need a huge stable of bows. (3 do me fine) ... the two companies that have helped make it easier to tune are Bowtech and Elite with their new tuning systems, they make it easier to tune in the field without a press, those are the ones to look at IMO ..

Branden likes this.
  10. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    After shooting 5 different bows I ended up purchasing my first bowtech. Really love how solid the back wall was. With the cam stop

11. Swampwise

Swampwise Newb

Dislikes Received:
    Just ordered my first Bow tech yesterday too. Solution with 70# limbs. Sounds like it may be a long wait especially for lefty.

12. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I've heard many great things about bowtech . Good luck

Branden likes this.
  13. Branden

Branden Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    They had a few at the scheels store in Fargo ND. They do online purchasing. That might be a faster way to go for you