Arrow Spine?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by TheFitHunter, Mar 1, 2021.

1. TheFitHunter

TheFitHunter Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    So, I have gotten mixed answers regarding this topic and figured I would come here for assistance.

I have a VXR 28 set at 28.5" draw and 78lbs. Arrow length is 26.75" carbon to carbon. 100 grain head with 75 grains of brass up front on a 300 spine 5mm Easton Axis. According to the Archers Advantage software, I am underspined with this setup. I then proceeded to call the lancaster archery proshop for their opinion and was told that because the insert I use is embedded within the shaft of the arrow the length of arrow which is actually flexing is closer to 25". Due to this I was told my setup should be dang near perfect at a 300 spine, if anything slightly overspined. I went back to the AA software and changed my arrow length to 25" to see the comparison and the software still reads back slightly underspined.

So, what are your thoughts? Honestly the bow is shooting fine now but I enjoy tinkering during the offseason, so if I can find a way to make the bow shoot even better by messing with the spine I shoot I see that as a win.

2. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    It sounds like your right where you need to be, I’m no arrow aficionado tho. How’s it shoot through paper, vanes and bare shaft ?

TheFitHunter likes this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I think you should shoot for a little over spined that way if it gets wonky you can increase your FOC to correct. You have the rig to throw alot more weight that what you are. And insert/outsert weights can be added.

TheFitHunter likes this.
  4. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Why aren't you sticking with these? Toss in another 50gr brass. You'll be shooting bunker busters. Seriously, they will fly like darts and hit like anvils.

upload_2021-3-1_19-57-4.png

cantexian and TheFitHunter like this.
  5. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I have not shot it through paper, I simply adjusted the rest until the bareshafts had the same POI as fletched out to 20 yards.

6. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    Yea I was looking at collars however that is the problem that I am running into, whether or not I am under or overspined. If this rig is already underspined any more weight up front will make it worse unless I am mixing something up.

7. TheFitHunter

Dislikes Received:
    I loved those arrows however their durability left a lot to be desired. This plus the fact that I enjoy changing my setup I opted to go and give the axis a shot, just not sure if I am in the right spine or not with the 300s.

8. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I shoot Easton Axis 300, I have a 28.5 “ c to c arrow. 50gr brass HIT, 100gr head, 10 gr GT ballistic collar, shoot lighted nocks, arrow wrap and 3 fletch blazers. There money for my setup. They kill deer and durability has never been an issue once impacting a deer. I’m around 515 gr arrow and 9.2 % FOC, also 29.5” DL and 70lb

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  9. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Really? I shoot the same and haven't had any issues. Think I have killed 5-6 deer with the same arrow. Or, more accurately, I have shot the same arrow through 5-6 deer. One got away, and another took an additional 4 arrows but that's another story for another day.

This is after abandoning CX RedZones due to brittleness and having a couple Beman ICMs also get busted (although they are plenty tough for a light/mid-weight arrow.)

I don't have anything against the Eastons at all; I was just curious. I am just a pretty big fan of the Rampages.
    When in doubt, Spine Up.

10. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    While you may be close on spine, if they are flying well you are fine to use them. They are not even close to being so under spined that they are a safety issue. If you are a really OCD person that will just never be able to get it out of your mind, then you can add a wrap or heavier nocks to the back of the arrow and improve the spine a bit.
    The whole point of "building" an arrow with proper spine is so it'll fly well.
    Think about it. A calculator claims you're on the edge of spine. Lancaster archery pros, who have a great reputation for knowing what they're doing, say you are fine. Your arrows say you are fine, because bare shaft and fletched are shooting to the same POI.
    Put it out of your mind and enjoy shooting your bow.