Success rates for bull elk bow hunts?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Jack69, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Jack69

Jack69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    What's the average success rate with paid bow hunts for bull elk? I've heard anywhere between 10-50%.

2. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    What do you mean by 'paid bow hunts'? I pay everytime I hunt, even DIY...

If you're looking at a guided/outfitted hunts, a great question for them to answer.

Otherwise, check state and unit stats...

I've anecdotally heard 10% of the guys are successful 90% of the time...but success does breed success. But there are many variables.

3. Jack69

Jack69 Newb

Dislikes Received:
    I guess I'm asking about the average success rate with outfitters vs non-guided hunts. I realize outfitters are very goal oriented. I see some outfitters advertising a 90% success rate with bow, and lesser success rate with rifle. I would have assumed it's less for bow hunters due to the difficulty and particular & precision nature of bow hunters.

4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I would imagine it has a lot to do with Elk being more vocal and more territorial during the bow season. I'm two for three with guided hunts but thats with rifle. The last guide had a 4 out of five success rate that season with bow hunters and my dad and I saw one Elk in five days, skunked.

Jack69 likes this.
  5. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Archery elk success averages about 10% across the board.
    Private land access either via an outfitter or on your own will up that considerably as will limited entry units. Some really good outfitters may touch on 40-50 success ratios and slightly higher opportunitys, that is di bet most fall in the area 25%
    not many places will do better than that unless it prime private limited entry areas

Oldcarp and Jack69 like this.