Wisconsin Wolfe Hunt 2021

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Grouch, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Grouch

Grouch Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    For quite some time, Outdoors folk have said Wolves are taking over Wisconsin, Democrat run DNR says nope not true, only just over 1,000 Wolves in state, A few years ago Wisconsin had a wolfe hunt, Kill totals met reasonably quickly, The a Liberal judge stopped the hunts, Finally President Trump said let there be wolf hunts, Liberal DNR did there very best to stop this, Even going to courts, Wi court said let the hunt go on. Had to get hunt in before end of February, So this past Monday, a number of lucky applicants received permits to kill 117 wolves, There were also I believe 87 for indigenous tribes, To make a long story short, in less than 2 days the white man hunters were notified season closures already, 168 wolves were taken by hunters in a day and a half or so, Tribes took I believe around 40, SO well over 200 hundred wolves taken by hunters that did not know they had a permit until the first day of season, a day and a half later or so seasons closed as they went over quota, YOU REALLY WANT TO TELL US THERE ARE ONLY ABOUT 1,000 WOLVES IN WISCONSIN ? In that period of time hunters took one fift5h of the wolf population ?? Hey you w3anna buy a bridge ?

Wop 75 likes this.
  2. Cannon06

Cannon06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    Kill em all. They have litters of pups at a time. They'll procreate much faster than their prey will.

3. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I am not against wolves. I am against allowing wolves to run amuck completely protected.
    Same with coyotes. Where coyotes are allowed to be hunted and trapped liberally (small 'l'), they aren't that big of a deal. And coyotes are much more adaptable than wolves.

As far as wolf numbers in WI...I hunt 40 acres in one county in central WI. We've gotten about 15-20 distinctly individual wolves on camera in 5 years or so. There's no effing way there's only 1000 wolves statewide.

4. Mod-it

Mod-it Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Saw the same thing in Idaho.
    Just triple the numbers of what they claim for a population.
    It'll get better, season wise anyway, certainly not wolf control wise. Saw the same things with wolf hunting at the beginning here, tag caps, law suits, seasons shut down early.
    Now the season runs 11 months of the year on public, year round on private, and you can take 15 a year. Baiting them isn't allowed, but you can take one if it comes in to a legal bear bait site "incidentally".
    I got a picture of one for the first time on my property a couple years ago when it visited my Spring bear bait. This year during whitetail season I heard one howling a couple different times. This summer when we camp there I now will have to keep our dogs at camp at all times and not let them go on runs when we go for a walk or atv ride.
    Hunting and trapping them to control the population doesn't appear to work. I read that Wisconsin saw such quick success in filling tags by running a single wolf track with several hounds. Here in Idaho many of the guys that used to hound hunt for bear and cougar have quit, too many were only running 2-4 hounds at a time and if they ran into a pack of wolves it was not a pretty sight.
    Now they are working on getting Grizzly reintroduced. Will have to get very used to the feel of bear spray on my hip during archery elk season.

5. picman

picman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

WI seems to under count every species but deer.

Sota and dnoodles like this.
  6. HancockCountyIL

HancockCountyIL Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    See them, shoot them.

7. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Have you ever met any livestock producer in Wisconsin that is pro wolf?

8. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Put em on the list for the Super Slam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wop 75 likes this.