Non Rubber Hunting boots

Discussion in 'Bowhunting Talk' started by Suncrest08, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Suncrest08

Suncrest08 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I always used rubber boots, lacrosse and muck. My feet sweat so dang bad in em and I always just dealt with it bc I perceived that rubber boots were more scent free. What are you non rubber boots guys using? I was considering the vaprtrek from Irish setter, Danner vital and lacrosse lodestar or Atlas. I don’t need much if any insulation. I have late season boots, this would be from September-November hunting.

2. mhouck06

mhouck06 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I ditched rubber boots a few years ago and I haven't looked back. I have not noticed any negative consequences wearing normal boots. I started with danner pronghorns and they were ok. I now have a pair of meindls and a pair of crispis. Both are great boots for 95% of the hunting I do.

Suncrest08, Okiebob and Fix like this.
  3. Fix

Fix Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have to agree, I was a rubber boot only guy for decades but I started two years ago wearing early season style and airing them out.

Suncrest08 and mhouck06 like this.
  4. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I had the same problem with rubber boots, especially early season Oklahoma. Feet would just sweat buckets. I had enough if it one day about nine years ago and bought a pair of lightweight Rockies at BassPro and still wear them. At the time I was big on James Valley Scents and they make a scentfree boot wax that I still use at the beginning of every season. I have an old rock house that is on the farm and I hang them upside down under the awning after every hunt so they never leave the farm during the season. I know I could buy a new pair of whatever I want but these are still waterproof, I've killed big bucks wearing them and a couple years back when I bought a new pair of LaCrosse I got blown at more than I ever had before in my life until I broke out these again. 20210226_083358.jpg
    I think they only have 600gr. of Thinsulate. And yes, I am cheap to an extent. Plus, I can lace these in the pitch black dark of early morning blindfolded with one arm tied behind my back, old friends.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  5. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Suncrest08 and Okiebob like this.
  6. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    And for the record, I almost bought a pair of those Cameron Hayes? boots last season but just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on some celebrity boots. I'm confident enough in myself that I don't need some fancy pants or boots for that matter. Cowboy boots, different story... custom made or not having a thing to do with them.

7. trial153

trial153 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    For the life of me I can't understand why guys where rubber boots unless they are in swampy areas. Especially if it's cold out insulated rubber boots are freaking sweat boxes.
    Go with a pair of regular boots then switch over to high end pack boot for later season.

8. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    I just always wore rubber boots, gonna switch it up this year. The comfort and support is so much better with regular boots too. Didn’t put much thought into it until this year going up and down hills and I’m just over it. I had danner pronghorns and there heavy AF. Trying to find a balance between waterproof and light weight.

Okiebob likes this.
  9. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I bought some Magellan boots last week at Academy. They were on sale, 50% off the discounted price. I paid $22 for them. I wore them out in the snow, worked well. Regular price was something like $112. Lightweight with about 600gr. Thinsulate. Couldn't pass them up for that price.

But once again, I'm kind of a cheapskate... lol

dprsdhunter and Suncrest08 like this.
  10. Suncrest08

Dislikes Received:
    Seems like a killer deal, I’m willing to spend some money. I like to get the best I can afford, my wife doesn’t like this concept.

Okiebob likes this.
  11. cantexian

cantexian Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    You will probably be better off buying a quality hiking boot rather than a hunting specific one. It will probably be cheaper as well since it will not be marketed for hunting.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  12. Justin

Justin Administrator

Dislikes Received:
    I was brought up on the idea that wearing rubber boots was the only option for bowhunters. I suffered through many, many seasons of sweaty feet that were either boiling hot in early season or freezing cold in late season. About 12 years ago I went on an elk hunt in CO and when I came home I decided to keep wearing my regular hunting/hiking boots and haven't looked back since. I have noticed no negative or adverse effects from wearing a non-rubber boot.

I killed the deer in my profile photo this year wearing my light-weight hikers that I wore all afternoon raking and burning leaves and picking up dog crap in my backyard before my hunt.

Now, I will say that I do wear rubber boots about 25% of the time during my deer hunts each fall. There are some stands I have where I have to cross creeks or standing water, and some days where I have to cross tall hay/alfalfa fields that are covered in morning dew. For the sake of keeping my feet, legs and pants dry-ish I will wear the rubbers instead of the regular boots. Today's rubber boots are a far cry from the cheap black rubber boots I got for $15 at Farm & Fleet in 1996. They are super comfortable and do a better job at regulating temps when necessary.

If you're looking for a good all-around hunting boot, the LaCrosse Lodestar is a solid option. I've owned damn near every non-rubber boot LaCrosse has made in the last 8 years and these are hands down the best yet. I put them right up there with any pair of Danners I've owned.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  13. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    When I'm not trudging through the marsh I will 100% recommend the Danner Pronghorn.

https://www.danner.com/pronghorn-g5-8-realtree-edge-400g.html

I have the 400g and have worn them the last 2 seasons here in central MN. Wore them through the entire rut and my feet never got cold. You can find them on sale usually. I got mine for $150 instead of $250. Best decision I have ever made and has made bow hunting so much more enjoyable. I walked through water to my ankles a time or 2 and never got a drop of water in them so they are quite waterproof.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  14. BB1

BB1 Weekend Warrior

Dislikes Received:
    I have a pair of Danner Alsea “non insulated” that I love! Wear a good sock (Darn Tough) and I am good to about 30 degrees. If colder than that I put a pair of boot covers over them when I get to the stand. I have a pair of Rocky 800 gram boots that I also wear during winter predator hunting (these are several years old when Rocky actually made a quality boot) I have a pair of Muck rubber boots but rarely wear them unless I know I will be encountering standing water.

Sent from my iPhone using Bowhunting.com Forums

Justin and Suncrest08 like this.
  15. Westfinger

Westfinger Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Irish setter vaprtreks. I bought them a few years ago for a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming. They have served me well under a variety of conditions. My lease has a fair amount of water on it that I need to cross so I wear rubber boots more than I care to.
    I killed a deer bowhunting wearing a pair of Vans high tops. They were blue with black palm trees on them.

WagsMcP, dnoodles and Suncrest08 like this.
  16. SharpEyeSam

SharpEyeSam Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I have the Lacrosse Windrose and I like them a lot. Very comfortable and warm. If I need additional warmth, I have boot covers that I add hand warmers to.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  17. GregH

GregH Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Bob, I'm not sure if Rocky makes a boot called the Wolverine or if you actually have a Wolverine boot in that picture.

I only mention this because I have been using Wolverine boots for over 30 years. The ones I'm using are all gortex and even the soles are camo. They're light weight like tennis shoes and work for weather down to 35 degrees. Then I switch to my rocky's.

Suncrest08 likes this.
  18. wl704

wl704 Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I've got both leather (Danner) and goretex (salomon) boots. Like trail said, unless you're in swampy areas, incidental moisture hasn't been an issue for me... I don't see big effects from scent, though I'm more conscious of wind direction and may move out leave if I feel the wind is going to betray me...rubber boots are a moisture barrier though and when the foot is damp, will get cold if hunting cold temps.

But a few other thoughts around foot care:
    -If I'm walking through damp grass/veg, I may add gaiters for the hike in /out.
    - if you have feet that perspire a lot (I know mine did when I was younger) - start with socks that will with quick moisture away or at least help air flow (I.e. Not cotton)...I like a merino hiker, but you may have good results with a synthetic (maybe a poly or nylon blend). Shedding boots at the destination for a few minutes and giving your foot some time to air may also help.
    -also to deal with perspiration, I know some folks will apply antiperspirant (unscented) to their feet.

19. Okiebob

Okiebob Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Well you are probably right. Just shows how much attention I pay...

20. dnoodles

dnoodles Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    I had a pair that I used for Elk and then early season. Every bit as comfortable as cross trainers. They lasted about 6 seasons before the soles got dried out, which is normal for vibram-type soles.

When I went to replace them I came across their Drifter model on closeout for like $80 so I couldn't pass them up. I haven't worn them hunting yet but they worked well this winter shoveling and dealing with slush and such.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Suncrest08 likes this.