Who is ready?

Discussion in 'The Water Cooler' started by Vabowman, Feb 18, 2021.

1. Ridgerunner3

Ridgerunner3 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    We are ready here, but all the water is ice here. I mean all of it. My buddy and I were discussing hitting Truman lake as soon as it thaws. Hard to believe that much lake is frozen over here. Probably focusing on crappie more than bass though. Planning a trip for smallies later this spring too. Tired of the damn cold.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Bowhunting.com Forums mobile app

Vabowman likes this.
  2. Bone Head Hunter

Bone Head Hunter Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I'm more than ready! Got a new prop put on my boat that I am dying to try out!

I have been chasing trophy brown fish now for fourty years. Fished them north to south. I do a trip to Dale Hollow lake in TN. every year. Personal best is 6'7. Last year I found A new Crawfish style plastic bàit called the little Otter made by Gambler that is a show stopper. Rig it weedless with a Rebarb light wire 1/0 and a 1/8 slide sinker. It catches everything! Green.. brown.. white bass you name it. Has become my spring go to! Favorite color is the green pumpkin.

I love fishing Green bay, Sturgeon bay, lake Erie and the St Lawrence, but TN keeps me coming back for more every year!

DSCN0703.JPG DSCN0704.JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  3. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    In Northeast Maryland?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. Vabowman

Vabowman Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Yeh up that way, I never been there though. heard it used to be great for smallies

5. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Kinda funny up here when we talk about size of smallmouth we go by inches instead of weight, probably because of the slot size. My biggest is 21.5" Gonna have to get some little otters. How are they in rock with that weight set up?

6. Holt

Holt Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I lived around the flats my whole life and it's definitely a destination fishing area. It's mostly large river fishing. I don't think I have ever caught a small mouth before. I know there are plenty of large mouth. The main attraction for the flats is when the rock fish spawn. On certain days you can have some unbelievable top water action with rockfish. Then later when the sows come up, you get the chance for the 60 pounders!

Just over the last 10 years we had a new fish come in and supposed to alot of fun to catch and really good eating, that is the Snake head's. Hear of quite a few caught around the flats. It's a invasive species, so it's a kill on site, no regulations. They get in the 20"-30" range and are a very aggressive fish.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

7. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    I am shocked that the snakehead has not made into the James river. Potomac is full of em...the Potomac was a great fishery 10 years ago. the grass is disappearing.. fast

8. Vabowman

Dislikes Received:
    ahhh.... it warmed up today and I got the itch to walk over to one of the ponds here and on my 3rd cast with a 1/4 oz Bitsy Bug jig I caught chunky 3 lber.. felt good. Hadn't caught a bass since first week of August, well haven't made cast since then either. warmed up to 65 today and again tomorrow. ready for this winter go away!!!!!!!

9. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Winter you think you have winter? We have 2' of ice on the lake and can drive a truck on it.

cantexian and Vabowman like this.
  10. MnHunterr

MnHunterr Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    You bass fisherman ever fish for walleye :lol: I kid I kid. I got into open water bass fishing a bit last year, nothing crazy but it was fun. Not as fun as trying to hunt down walleye, but it passed the time well.

Can’t beat a dead calm morning top water blow up. Exciting stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    My 6'7 was 23 inches. You will hang a few, but the trick it's to keep it hoping with more of a swim action. When I see the line go slack I pick it up slowly to make the next hop and swim or set the hook!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  12. Bone Head Hunter

Dislikes Received:
    Headed down to the family farm for a mess of cold water bluegill. Water was muddy, but I still caught some... Fish fry at my house later this week!

20210307_124857.jpg

20210307_143937.jpg

virginiashadow, Vabowman and ash d like this.
  13. bucksnbears

bucksnbears Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:

Bone Head Hunter likes this.
  14. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    Our tournament season started last weekend. We finished 14th out of 76. Not as good as I hoped but it's good points. I picked up a brand new Bass Boat in January. I'm loving that thing, also has Garmin Live scope installed on it. I've been catching some good fish out of the top of brush piles witj a jerkbait. It's amazing what all you can see with the LS.

cantexian and virginiashadow like this.
  15. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I am going to throw the boat in a local lake this weekend and try some early largemouth. In April I am going to Louisiana to go after Redfish. I have never been and it has always been on my bucket list. We are staying on a floating lodge with Dogwood in the Mississippi delta. Really looking forward to it. If the boarder opens up, I am booked for a week of the smallmouth spawn on Lake of the Woods in Canada. I have boated over a hundred in a day there when the stars align. It might be my favorite thing to do. My personal best there have been 20" and fat as a football. I am definitely going to be ordering some Little Otter jigs. Thanks for the tip!

16. Sota

Sota Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Fletch you are going to love redfish they eat well too.

fletch920 likes this.
  17. axtell343

axtell343 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    Been catching some nice bass in the St. Johns this weekend. Best bass in the boat was 5 & 1/2 lbs
    Good eats!

18. fletch920

fletch920 Grizzled Veteran

Dislikes Received:
    I have caught the small rat reds and speckled trout in the Laguna Madre bay off South Padre Island for years and they are a lot of fun, but I have always wanted to chase the bigger bull reds off the coast of Louisiana. My father in law and I were supposed to make this trip together and we were making plans when he got cancer. He actually passed away the week we were supposed to be there last April. So a buddy of mine said he would go with me this year. It will be a special trip for me for sure. I am going to fly fish one day and probably cast for them the rest of the time.

Sota likes this.
  19. OK/Sooner

OK/Sooner Die Hard Bowhunter

Dislikes Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Two biggest this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dnoodles, Okiebob, cantexian and 3 others like this.
  20. virginiashadow

virginiashadow Legendary Woodsman

Dislikes Received:
    Tomorrow my son and I are getting on the mountain bikes and headed to the shallower damned up areas after the spillway. Hoping the rocks and metal reflecting heat and combined with the heat we have had over the past few days will have some fish in that area.